Just got my first smartphone and well, heh

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it will be pretty accurate. What is it coming back with?

If its something like 59.8-60.2 or something, then it will be fine

No, it's not as high as I'd like, so I'm on RetroArch, but um, how do I close that popup screen, how do I close that prompt when I navigate once I load a ROM? And I might have to go with the .emu series emulators. Dammit.....I knew this phone wasn't high end....but...

Edit: Yeah, it's not quite 60 Hz.....damn.....guess I can't use emulators, at all. No way to change the Hz, at all? Well this....ugh......damn...

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can. You can use emulators on retroarch. Its been a while since I used it but there is an option somewhere to let retroarch do a scan to determine your refresh rate and then to allow emulators to match your refresh rate. This will take out all jumpyness of not being 60hz and you will get no stutter or sound crackles because retroarch will slow or speedup the emulators to match your screen refresh.

So if your device is say 59hz, then a snes emulator say will play fine, no stutters, but will be the difference in percentage slower than what 59 is to 60 (which is what, about 1.4% difference at a guess). If its 61hz, then your looking at about 1.4% faster, so on and so forth.

I had to use retroarch back when I had the Xperia Play phone when I was using emulators because that had a 58hz screen. So the choices were either to use the .emu series which would skip every now and again due to the inconsistency between 58hz and 60hz or use retroarch which has a workaround to bridge the gap

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can. You can use emulators on retroarch. Its been a while since I used it but there is an option somewhere to let retroarch do a scan to determine your refresh rate and then to allow emulators to match your refresh rate. This will take out all jumpyness of not being 60hz and you will get no stutter or sound crackles because retroarch will slow or speedup the emulators to match your screen refresh.

So if your device is say 59hz, then a snes emulator say will play fine, no stutters, but will be the difference is percentage slower than what 59 is to 60 (which is what, about 1.4% difference at a guess). If its 61hz, then your looking at about 1.4% faster, so on and so forth.

It's barely 58 Hz in the test, I think in part due to the bloatware, which I have no way of removing. RetroArch, I can't even get to work as that stupid screen pops up saying "press so and so to close the window". I load the ROM, and the core, but I can't get past the

It shows "Basic RGUI controls......unknown, unknown, etc..." but then it just hangs there. I don't think it's compatible with my device, it doesn't detect the controls, I can't tap out of it, I have to close the app back to OS menu. I can't even navigate once I load a ROM. What a damn shame, I can't even run emulators on this thing :cry:

It prompts me to press "okay" what the hell? How can I confirm it if there's no "okay"?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's barely 58 Hz in the test, I think in part due to the bloatware, which I have no way of removing. RetroArch, I can't even get to work as that stupid screen pops up saying "press so and so to close the window". I load the ROM, and the core, but I can't get past the

It shows "Basic RGUI controls......unknown, unknown, etc..." but then it just hangs there. I don't think it's compatible with my device, it doesn't detect the controls, I can't tap out of it, I have to close the app back to OS menu. I can't even navigate once I load a ROM. What a damn shame, I can't even run emulators on this thing :cry:

Its not. The 58hz thing will be kernal based. Nothing you can do about that unless over on XDA or somewhere there is a custom rom which fixes it etc. Removing bloatware or programs won't have any effect on that.

What version of android is it running?

EDIT:

If I were you, and wanted something on the cheap that does the job and will play emulators, then take this phone back, and have a look out for an Xperia Play. They should be cheap as chips these days and will do everything you want.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not. The 58hz thing will be kernal based. Nothing you can do about that unless over on XDA or somewhere there is a custom rom which fixes it etc. Removing bloatware or programs won't have any effect on that.

What version of android is it running?

Jellybean, short of rooting it, I can't fix the Hz or run RetroArch, this is pure BS, I simply just give up. I can't get past the "Press Accept/OK to continue" screen, at all. How can I do that if it doesn't let me do anything? RetroArch isn't compatible with Jellybean it seems. Dammit.... I give up. Bollocks.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
have you tried anything from the .emu series? They should work. Give Snes9xEX.emu a spin and turn frameskip to 0 etc and see how it runs. You might find the jumps are unnoticeable.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried anything from the .emu series? They should work. Give Snes9xEX.emu a spin and turn frameskip to 0 etc and see how it runs. You might find the jumps are unnoticeable.

Ugh.....this had better work....

Nope, it's worse, with the frame skip set to zero. I am officially shit outta luck for emulation. Period :cry: I might as well give up, did you see my problem with RetroArch, it's stuck at the "confirm/OK" screen.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why what happens? Does it just run like shit? lol

Yeah. with frameskip set to 0, the audio stutters and goes to hell. Damn, I think this device just can't run emulators, at all. Why the hell do I even bother wishing for it....? Did you see my prob with RetroArch? I can config it fine, I can navigate the menu, and load a ROM, but when I do, a popup shows and shows the RGUI controls, but they are all saying "unknown" and I can't close the "Press okay/confirm to close". This is BS, man, this device is too chinsy it seems :(

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
get rid. Go on the hunt for an Xperia Play. Over in the UK you can pick these up now for about £25 ($35-40). Its only a 1Ghz CPU but because its more of a standard phone chip, it works totally fine.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get rid. Go on the hunt for an Xperia Play. Over in the UK you can pick these up now for about £25 ($35-40). Its only a 1Ghz CPU but because its more of a standard phone chip, it works totally fine.

Uh, I don't exactly have funds to get another device, I'm temporarity stuck with this, and I need a phone, but I doubt my provider has that device.

Wii remote syncs fine though.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only other thing left to try is the older version of snes9x that is in the .emu series. Thats needs lesser requirements.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads

Too bad that has the core prior to blarrg's s-smp so it's gonna sound like garbage. The thing is, the machine has a 1.4 GHz CPU, that shouldn't be the cause of all this. Well, I got the game to run in RetroArch, but I need to tweak the settings.

It calibrates to 58.3443434234234 etc Hz. I have to find a custom ROM for this to force 60 Hz.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too bad that has the core prior to blarrg's s-smp so it's gonna sound like garbage. The thing is, the machine has a 1.4 GHz CPU, that shouldn't be the cause of all this. Well, I got the game to run in RetroArch, but I need to tweak the settings.

It calibrates to 58.3443434234234 etc Hz. I have to find a custom ROM for this to force 60 Hz.

Thats your issue then. Youll notice games in retroarch will play a tiny bit slower but they should be smooth still and not a mess like the .emu series will be (they assume that you have a 60hz device see, hence why they don't play nice on devices with differing refresh rates.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats your issue then. Youll notice games in retroarch will play a tiny bit slower but they should be smooth still and not a mess like the .emu series will be (they assume that you have a 60hz device see, hence why they don't play nice on devices with differing refresh rates.

I see a developer option called force-enable GPU rendering. RetroArch should run fine, the controls are jacked up even with the Wii remote, I can't seem to navigate the game once it loads up. I really need a better controller. Should I force enabled GPU rendering?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GPU rendering in Retroarch or Snes9x? If its the Snes9x then I wouldn't bother, you need a REALLY powerful device to get the best out of that. That basically gives you the options of having the filters that you get on the PC like 2Xsai and Eagle engine etc. I tried that on the S7800 but that didnt enough to cope with it either and that was a 1.6ghz device with a decent Mali chip.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GPU rendering in Retroarch or Snes9x? If its the Snes9x then I wouldn't bother, you need a REALLY powerful device to get the best out of that. That basically gives you the options of having the filters that you get on the PC like 2Xsai and Eagle engine etc. I tried that on the S7800 but that didnt enough to cope with it either and that was a 1.6ghz device with a decent Mali chip.

Turned off, no difference. I need a real controller, trying to navigate RA on touchscreen is proving to be a royal pain in the arse. There is a community for this and other such devices. I'll check it out. 1.4 GHz is more than enough for Snes9x EX+, that requires 1 GHz minimum. The issue is the Hz, it's crappy programming on their part.

Rooting it might be my only choice if I want to force-enable 60 Hz.

http://www.kingoapp.com/

http://www.cricketusers.com/content/cricket-wireless-gsm-phone-zte-sonata-4g-803/

http://www.cricketusers.com/zte-sonata-4g-gsm/173023-[root-method]-root-cricket-wireless-zte-sonata-4g.html

http://hexamob.com/devices/devices-...te-z740g-with-android-version-4-x-jelly-bean/

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Turned off, no difference. I need a real controller, trying to navigate RA on touchscreen is proving to be a royal pain in the arse. There is a community for this and other such devices. I'll check it out. 1.4 GHz is more than enough for Snes9x EX+, that requires 1 GHz minimum. The issue is the Hz, it's crappy programming on their part.

Rooting it might be my only choice if I want to force-enable 60 Hz.

Snes9xEx even still should run close to OK. I would of expected it to run full speed with little stutters in the framerate at worse. Normally if the device is fast enough, its only the video that gets affected due to the refresh difference. Its been ages since I toyed with Snes9xEx so Ill have a look at my settings

Video:

Frame Skip 0
Image Effect - OFF
Fast CPU-GPU Copy - ON

AUDIO:

Make sure Buffer size is as high as it can go (I believe its 12)
You can drop sound rate down to 22hz as it makes no difference whatsoever through a phones loudspeaker.

Under System, Also make sure Process Priority is Very High.

What will also benefit you is rooting the device so that you can mess with things like SetCPU to see fi you have any room for overclocks, and changing the governors so that you can make the device run maxxed out during certain apps to make sure your getting everything you can out of emulators.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snes9xEx even still should run close to OK. I would of expected it to run full speed with little stutters in the framerate at worse. Normally if the device is fast enough, its only the video that gets affected due to the refresh difference. Its been ages since I toyed with Snes9xEx so Ill have a look at my settings

Video:

Frame Skip 0
Image Effect - OFF
Fast CPU-GPU Copy - ON

AUDIO:

Make sure Buffer size is as high as it can go (I believe its 12)
You can drop sound rate down to 22hz as it makes no difference whatsoever through a phones loudspeaker.

Under System, Also make sure Process Priority is Very High.

What will also benefit you is rooting the device so that you can mess with things like SetCPU to see fi you have any room for overclocks, and changing the governors so that you can make the device run maxxed out during certain apps to make sure your getting everything you can out of emulators.

Yeah, the device can be rooted (updated my last post to show links to software that can indeed root it), setting CPU would help, though, it would come at shorter battery life, not sure how high I can set the CPU without killing it too much. That could help a lot I'm sure. Refresh rate, well, we'll need to see. I'll ask the folks on that forum I linked about the refresh rate, I'm sure there's something I could to to force it to at least 59 Hz. I don't understand why Android OS is weird that way, why 58 Hz and not 59.99 or whatever.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, the device can be rooted (updated my last post to show links to software that can indeed root it), setting CPU would help, though, it would come at shorter battery life, not sure how high I can set the CPU without killing it too much. That could help a lot I'm sure. Refresh rate, well, we'll need to see. I'll ask the folks on that forum I linked about the refresh rate, I'm sure there's something I could to to force it to at least 59 Hz. I don't understand why Android OS is weird that way, why 58 Hz and not 59.99 or whatever.

Nothing to do with Android OS unfortunately. Just lazy ass developers . In fairness, the 60hz thing is only really an issue when it comes to emulation. And I doubt phone manufacturers take that in to account when making phones. I have a Note 2 as my main phone now which is pretty mainstream and even that rund at 58hz. Its just luck of the draw really whatever manufacturers decide to set their devices to I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.