Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, new kid on the block here.

I just got a Wii for the first time in my life and am new to Wii hacking. The most I've done is with the DS and I feel a bit overwhelmed, since there's a lot more stuff for the Wii. Lots of threads seem outdated and there seems to be hundreds of possibilities. Are there any must gets, besides for the obvious?

First, I have a 3.4U Wii. http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-2-below tells me to use the files there to update, but http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha...de/normal-start says to official update through the Wii.

Knowing I have version 3.4U right now, how should I update? I'm not sure if this matters, but google searches are confusing me, some saying I have to downgrade then upgrade, others saying I shouldn't mess with unofficial upgrades and never downgrade. ***Finally, do I upgrade first (didn't touch the Wii yet) or install Hackmii Installer first? The Complete and the Stickied thread are giving me different info, and not sure if it matters***

After upgrade, what order of things should I get? I do want to get a USB loader up. From the threads, I'm thinking (hopefully not misunderstanding):

*- Official Upgrade?! From 3.4U to 4.2
- Run something called bannerbomb
- Install Homebrew Channel, DVDX, and Bootmii from the Hackmii Installer
*- Or WAD Upgrade to 4.2
- Make a NAND backup
- Restore the Trucha bug
- Install Priiloader or StarPatch (which is recommended? Looks like most people support Priiloader from the search here)
- Install USB Loaders (which is recommended? http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ba...-launchers/usb)

Is that the right order? Are there anything else I should get? Are the Twilight Hacks and Starfall still needed? Most threads talk about it, but the few new ones just ignore them.

Would you recommend any Disc Backup Launchers? I don't have a LU64+ seems like, mine is 59. Which do you recommend, Gecko OS?

Any other cool tools or should-haves?

Thanks!

Predicted steps so far:
- Official Upgrade from 3.4U to 4.2
- Run bannerbomb
- Install Hackmii Installer
- Make a NAND backup
- Restore the Trucha bug
- Use DOP-Mii to remove ISO STUBs
- Install Priiloader
- Need cIOS
- Run MIOS patcher
- Install USB Loader (leaning towards uLoader)
- Possibly Install Darkcorp?
- Get Triiforce
- Maybe get FTPii or WiiExplorer

Steps taken so far:
- Official Update to 4.2U
- Ran bannerbomb
- Installed Hackmii (HBH/DVDX/Bootmii)
- Backed up NAND
- Installed IOS36 with Trucha Bug
- Uninstalled IOS222, 223, 249, 250 stubs (mine didn't have IOS202 to uninstall, I wonder if that's normal?)
- Installed Hermes cIOS
- Installed Waninkokos cIOS
- Installed Priiloader
- Installed uLoader (channel forwarder)

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Your "Predicted steps so far:" looks ok, close to the route most take. I do officail updates from where you are too. btw, you run bannerbomb, not install it. Also before you get a USB loader you need a cIOS and as mentioned remove the stubs.

Disc launchers, Gecko will only boot retail unless you install darkcorp. Darkcorp is easy to use (it's the disc channel) and has a really high compatibility rate. There is also NeoGamma which is very good too.

You might want to play GameCube games ? If so you need a cMios and loader. Unless you got Darkcorp as it has this too.

If you intend on playing WiiWare or VC you might want to check out Triiforce (if not you can only have a couple on the Wii at a time)

If you want a media centre of sorts you want to look into either the new Wiimc, or the older more stable Mplayer (they are more or less the same except a few features and the gui)

Emulators ? Soooo many. Anything by Tantric (NES, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA) kicks ass, and some others worth noting but a bit unpolished just now are for N64, PS1 and NDS.

USB loaders.... well first you will need a cIOS or a few. As for which USB loader to choose, I'd go with CFG loader if I wewre you as you are new to all this, but there are others as you have noticed. Another USB loader worth looking into (just read, don't get yet) is ULoader by Hermes, it allows your Wii saves to be read/written to an external devise so this can save valuable space on the Wiis tiny NAND.

FTPii and WiiExplorer are worth looking into too because they can save you needing to remove the SD to do many things.

ShowMiiWads is a great app for pc that manages channels, nand and even has some save managing features. If you get Triiforce you want this.

Customisemii is good for making custom channels, but I doubt you will want to do that just now.

There are other apps that can customise the Wii and change the look or how it boot but don't worry too much about that for now imo.

Sorry for just pointing you to things and not providing more detailed info, I only had a few minutes spare and thought I'd suggest some things for you to look into you never really mentioned.

SNEEK, UNEEK and puneek are the "new cool" but I'd avoid them if I were you just now as they are not straight forward for someone new to all this.

btw, everyone here will appreciate you asking BEFORE doing something you are unsure of and giving good details in a well written post.

Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for the ton of good ideas and info here! So if Darkcorp can play NGC games, looks like I'll get that. Triiforce sounds great for VC. I think I'll need to research Wiimc and Mplayer to see what that can do for me.

ULoader sounds awesome if it I can save on my external HD. I guess I should read up on it first to make sure I can install it easily, don't want to make a mess now.
mellow.gif

FTPii and WiiExplorer? Haven't seen those names yet, but another thing to read on. Saving time is always a good thing in my book!

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiel said:
So if Darkcorp can play NGC games, looks like I'll get that.

I suggest that you stay far away from Darkcorp/cIOScorp. First off you don't need it to run gamecube backups you just need a cMIOS which you can find here: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/gamecube

Secondly Darkcorp is risky to install in the first place. What it does is replace nearly every system file (IOS) on your Wii with a patched copy. The only reason it does this is to allow disc backups to be run from the Disc channel. You don't need to run backups from the disc channel in the first place as there are several other loaders available with more features. If your planning on running Wii games from a usb device I'd skip Darkcorp all together as it isn't going to do anything for you in the first place. If you do plan on running backups from disc I'd launch them from a loader if I were you, most of the usb loaders support launching from disc.

One last thing: A lot of people here use Darkcorp and anything said against it usually leads to a flame war. I'd personally never ever ever install it on any Nintendo Wii I worked on. I think it is an awful idea and a very stupid way to go about doing things. Some people like launching backups from the disc channel but most of them are uneducated about how the Wii works and don't understand what darkcorp does in the first place.

Save yourself the headache and avoid darkcorp like fire.

Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So making sure I understand, you would suggest running the MIOS patcher and getting a USB loader like uLoader over Darkcorp because of stated reasons?

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiel said:
So making sure I understand, you would suggest running the MIOS patcher and getting a USB loader like uLoader over Darkcorp because of stated reasons?

Pretty much, yes.

You'll also need to install a cIOS of course, probably multiple ones. All of that is covered at the site I linked you to and they will be required if you use a loader.

Darkcorp is like an cIOS except it patches all of the official IOS files for backup support. A cIOS installs into an unused slot (like slot 249) hence why it is a safer method.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can install bootmii to boot2 there is very little risk in anything if you make a nand backup and don't update your boot2 via an official update.

So to clarify what I mean, if you plan to do an official update before modidng you will get the newest boot2, if you had bootmii on boot2 it would be overwritten, but if you have the newest boot2 from Nintendo then you install bootmii to boot2 it will be in place. Then doing anytihng like Darkcorp is easily undone by reinstalling a nand backup.

I do think Darkcorp is overkill to some degree but it does have MANY, MANY benefits over ANY other disc loader. Benefits come with risks, but a nand backup and bootmii on boot2 can save your ass.

I only pointed out Darkcorp because it's REALLY easy to use and offers the best compatibility for DISC loading, better than even any USB loader and only second to Nintendo themselves which offer 100%.

I would advise anyone modidng a Wii or even owning one that making the damn thing last is the most important thing.

So the best advise is
- you can't have enough NAND backups
- always read up on anything first
- favour USB over Disc loading to save your drive
- dont insert/eject the SD card over and over so get tools to send things to them without removing them
- keep your Wii clean
- turn off standby connect (the orange light of death ! ! !)

You seem to be clued up and read first so I think you're gonna do fine btw
wink.gif

ozgaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiel said:
Hi guys, new kid on the block here.

Hi also! I've just joined after a Wii was stealthily "injected" into my family, and am also a newbie to Wii's. This site looks like a fantastic resource and community.

Kiel may be new, but he sure seems to have his act together (and yes, it was a clearly written and detailed post).

I've setup the Wii and done the official update, and my screen version is 4.2E from memory rather than the 4.2U referred to in the OP. I think this is a regional variation (I'm in Australia).

My sole available SD card is 512MB which I understand should be OK to at least get me to the stage where I should do a NAND backup.

Unfortunately, I've been unable run bannerbomb (following the instructions at the basics). I started with abd6a.zip and also tried abd6b_v200.zip, but the system simply locks up when execution is attempted.

So Kiel, you are way ahead of me, but I'm going to retrace my steps first using procedure at above link, and if it fails again, using files contained in the email from simplisticmod@gmail as per following instruction:

QUOTESetting up the SD Card
1st download the precompiled link update.zip for your region by emailing [email protected]
Extract the "update.zip" & put the files onto a SD card & insert the SD card into the Wii.

If that fails, I'll study the Noob Paradise thread before any serious gnashing of teeth.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
4.2 bannerbomb causes this problem if you never read correctly.

DO NOT insert the SD card.

Place the files on the SD card, still DO NOT INSERT YET, boot the Wii up (without the SD card in). Now click on the SD icon on the bottom left corner of the Wii menu (below the disc channel etc). Still you DO NOT have the SD card in. It will load your SD menu and nothing will be displayed...NOW insert the SD card
smile.gif
It will boot the file you have on the SD root.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
I suggest that you stay far away from Darkcorp/cIOScorp. First off you don't need it to run gamecube backups you just need a cMIOS which you can find here:

You will however find Darkcorp has many advantages over most disc loaders and combined with Neogamma I've not found a backup that doesnt play in one or the other.

Many games have anti piracy features that Darkcorp bypasses, Moster hunter tri for example.

Darkcorp does all this through an installer meaning you dont need to run and install endless ammounts of things that tbh most of us have no idea about anyway. I cant see how this is anymore risky than changing any ios manually.

The simplest, least trouble and very last thing I ever needed to do was install Darkcorp. Darkcorp gets a LOAD of hate but as a fellow noob you've just as much chance following an outdated guide or making a mistake and bricking your wii as Darkcorp has of bricking it.

As long as you dont touch anything or loose power as it installs you will be perfectly fine with Darkcorp. Make sure you dont use .lite version as it has no mios (needed for Gamecube loading).

If your just USB loading however Darkcorp is not needed, if you want to load disc backups I'd recomend it.

Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, these are all great information and nice to see the pros and cons to Darkcorp. I don't need to play backup discs immediately, so I'll hold off on a hasty decision.

Slimmmmmm said:
SNEEK, UNEEK and puneek are the "new cool" but I'd avoid them if I were you just now as they are not straight forward for someone new to all this.

What are these three things used for and what can they do for me? Although I haven't done much yet, I'm finding that I'm having fun modding the Wii. If these will give me features that I want and if it's not dangerous to do, it might be fun to try it out.

Like SNEEK for example:

QUOTE(giantpune @ Mar 16 2010, 01:56 PM) sneek is basically just a way to lie to the PPC in the wii. the wii has 2 processors ARM and PPC. games, the system menu, channels, most homebrew, and pretty much every other program that accepts user input and draws on the screen run on the PPC. when these programs want information from the wii's internal memory, internet, dvd, sd card, or pretty much anywhere else, they have to ask the program running on the ARM (an IOS usually) for it (except when the wii is in gamecube mode).

sneek runs on the ARM and it redirects where information comes from and in some cases, patches that information with false data. the end result is that the program running on the PPC asks for data from the wii's nand and it gets it from the sd card instead. if the PPC wants data from the dvd drive, sneek can give it data from a usb drive instead. when the system menu asks how much space is used for channels, sneek flat out lies about it and gives a low number so the system menu doesnt give the "system memory is full" message.

about cIOS and sneek, since IOS and sneek both run on the arm, there is a chance that they will not play nicely together. they are both trying to patch stuff and be smart, but they dont realize that each other is there and both are trying to be smart. the end result is that when sneek tries to load a cIOS, it doesnt load all of it and the parts of it that do load start doing their normal cIOS stuff and end up patching memory where sneek is and both of them end up not working right.

This seems to be the explanation to what SNEEK is and tells me I won't be limited to Wii's internal memory if I'm understanding this right, but I'm still unsure what I can use it for exactly. Will I, for example, be able to run certain things off a HD or SD card that I normally can't?

If anyone can explain in a way I can understand, much thanks!

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNEEK basically emulates the NAND on another device.

For example you can make a backup of your NAND and place it on a usb HDD. You can then run UNEEK and have it use the NAND located on the HDD. This is helpful because most people use up all the internal memory very quickly with game saves and VC/WiiWare titles.

SNEEK can also emulate the internal DVD drive on another device. So for example you could place a decrypted copy of Super Mario Brothers Wii on a usb HDD and load it up through the disc channel.

SNEEK, UNEEK, and PUNEEK are all variants of the same project. They just differ slightly on a few points:

SNEEK: Emulated NAND is stored on SD-Card, possible to load Wii games from HDD with DI module (such a setup is referred to as "SNEEK+DI").

UNEEK: Emulated NAND is stored on usb device (usually an HDD), can not run Wii games from HDD.

PUNEEK: Pune's custom modification of UNEEK. NAND is stored on hdd, Wii games can be stored on HDD. It also includes modified sources for WiiFlow and GX (usb loaders) to allow them to launch the games on the HDD.

Also need to note that if you use the DI module you can not use the Wii's internal DVD drive.

Main benefits: You have all the space you ever need for VC/Wiiware games without having to use something like Triiforce. You can run certain games from the usb HDD that are problematic when trying to run them from usb loaders (IOS reloading games for the most part). You can manage the NAND from your PC. You never have to worry about bricking the virtual NAND...if you screw it up you can always place a clean dump on the HDD/SD-card and away you go.

ozgaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
4.2 bannerbomb causes this problem if you never read correctly.

DO NOT insert the SD card.

Place the files on the SD card, still DO NOT INSERT YET, boot the Wii up (without the SD card in). Now click on the SD icon on the bottom left corner of the Wii menu (below the disc channel etc). Still you DO NOT have the SD card in. It will load your SD menu and nothing will be displayed...NOW insert the SD card
smile.gif
It will boot the file you have on the SD root.

Thanks!

I read your advice and thought ... "eureka" (literally as I understand it, "I have found it").

I ran with my SD and tried to follow the instructions (which I had definitely NOT done this way before), but no luck. However .... I did not have initially suggested version of Hackmii on the SD (rather, the 2nd or 3rd choice).

In the meantime, I'd received instructions from locals (I think after I followed "DO NOT insert the SD card" instructions) and went to Wiihacks and NOW have managed to get Homebrew installed.

Will need to go further of course.

One step at a time! Thanks for help, past and possibly future
smile.gif

Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the great info!

From the descriptions, PUNEEK looks like something I want to look into. Sounds like a nice additional layer of precaution in case I mess something up.

Waiting for my external HD to ship before I do anything else. For now, I'll enjoy playing my copy of Fire Emblem.
mellow.gif

Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, it's me again. I have a major question this time and I don't want to make a big mistake!

So far, I installed ISO36 with Trucha bug and uninstalled stubs. From here, should I installed cISOs first or Priiloader first? I've read on some threads to install Priiloader after getting ISO36 patched. On other threads, I've heard I need some ISO60 or something or it will brick.

There are no warnings on the CompleteSoftmodGuide on here http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/sy...acks/priiloader so I've no clue who to believe.

Also, I came across this thread for the best cIOS selection http://gbatemp.net/t212497-best-cios-selection-for-newbies which has a few more/updated cIOS compared to the CompleteSoftmodGuide. That forum post looks more up to date, so I guess I should follow that guide to installing cIOS.

Basically, my question is when is it best/safest to install Priiloader? After Trucha bug, after cISOs (which ones if applicable), or some other time?

After these steps, I also plan to install uLoader and Mplayer_CE, in case that matters. I'm also planning to look further into Triiforce and SNEEK or PUNEEK to see if I want it, and not sure if that will cause problems later on with Priiloader?

Thanks!

Kiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyone who can give me some advice? Or maybe I was suppose to make a new topic for a new question.
mellow.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
You can install either first.

You don't install uLoader and Mplayer_CE you run them, but you can install a channel of them, so I suppose you're kinda right if that's what you meant. Forwarders are better though as they are easier updated. A forwarder is a channel that doesn't contain the app it simply points to the .dol on the SD card.

forwarders NEED an SD card or USB though to run, a channel doesn't. So that's the min pros and cons of each.

Priiloader is not a problem with any app you mention as it's on your REAL nand, however it does cause problems in the nand dump you use for some of the apps you mentioned. (don't worry though you can build a nand for them from scratch and just cherry pick the files you need from your own nand, EG wiimote info, miis and saves etc)

Oh and my advise for what it's worth .... don't start a new topic for new questions that arise, mainly because anyone helping can read through this topic, or search (Ctrl+F) and easily see what you have done already, steps taken etc.

Don't be impatient, no advise is better than bad advise, just be patient and someone will always help. If you find your topic burried, then add a link in your profile to the topic asking for help and go do some reading / posting and sure enough someone else will bump your topic in no time
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol