Just Cause 2 Dev "Wii U devkits were collecting dust"

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Got nothing better to do other than be a shit disturber, do you guild?
Then again, how many of us are real devs for a platform? If I had the time to waste in WiiU/console development, I'd seriously be commenting on GBAtemp. Oh wait, I could just outsource development to India like everyone else (no pun intended, this is just real life.. personal experience).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Let me get this straight... the Wii U sales are low because there aren't games out for it... so developers aren't going to develop games for it, to bring sales back UP? Sounds like their retarded thinking is causing their own catch-22. Sinking their own ships with their own icebergs. Shooting themselves in the foot with their own irony. It's a pissing shame that people don't take radical risks anymore. The Wii didn't even give us any major Pokemon titles, only gave us Zelda titles at the birth and death of the system, and Nintendo stopped giving a shit about the Wii about 2 years ago when they stopped doing system updates to add new features. I don't feel the original Wii really got taken advantage of, and I see the same thing happening to the Wii U.

Another thing that bothers me is developers shying away from Nintendo's system when it comes to big-name titles. I'm super pissed off as a Wii owner that all the good games are only out for PS3, 360, and PC. The Wii never gets a copy. I've seen games like Call of Duty MW3 and Resident Evil 4, and they are great. So the whole "The Wii is under-powered" argument is bullshit. With proper optimizations made, any game can be ported to the Wii. I was hopeful when the Wii U launched that big name devs were jumping on board, and now they're all bailing from a ship that wasn't sinking. Devs need to pull their LAZY, ARROGANT heads out of their asses, and start doing shit right.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes retro gaming never had bad games guys.
The problem with modern gaming is less to do with the number of bad games but how similar all the games are becoming. Everything is trying to be the next CoD or Halo but nothing is trying to be their own thing which there at least was something of in the 80s-90s.It's why Indie Games on the PC are starting to get more attention now. They're interesting.

The devs are a bunch of whining, wanking retards.
It's more the publishers that won't greenlight ideas that they insist "won't sell". Games are a risk and devs rely on publishers to take that risk for them to make the game. These days the stakes are even higher because dev costs have inflated a lot. They're only willing to risk it on concepts that are similar to ones that sell. Which is just not going to be fun for anyone.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you think it's the responsibility of third party developers to sell consoles then you probably shouldn't be commentating on gaming business as a whole.

Wait.... hold on... everybody's been saying that it nee.... you know what, fuck it. Not even going to try.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me get this straight... the Wii U sales are low because there aren't games out for it... so developers aren't going to develop games for it, to bring sales back UP?

Because that's a third party developer's responsibility, right?

Sounds like their retarded thinking is causing their own catch-22. Sinking their own ships with their own icebergs. Shooting themselves in the foot with their own irony.

...I think you might want to work on your metaphors a bit.

It's a pissing shame that people don't take radical risks anymore.

It's almost as if investing millions to develop games for a system with a limited user base is not a good allocation of resources. There's a difference between a risk and a pipe dream.

Besides, in a world where titles like Spec Ops: The Line and Tell Tale's The Walking Dead were released just last year... yeah, developers are still taking their fair share of risks. It's just about knowing which risks can pay off and which likely won't.

The Wii didn't even give us any major Pokemon titles, only gave us Zelda titles at the birth and death of the system, and Nintendo stopped giving a shit about the Wii about 2 years ago when they stopped doing system updates to add new features. I don't feel the original Wii really got taken advantage of, and I see the same thing happening to the Wii U.

1) Pokemon's primarily a handheld franchise, so that's pretty much par for the course. What exactly were you expecting?
2) Nintendo only made two Zelda titles for the N64 and Gamecube (I forget the exact number for the NES and SNES), so that's also hardly unusual.
3) Eh.
4) I'd say Nintendo pushed the little thing as far as it could go. They released a pretty solid lineup of titles (as they always do), and I'm impressed by what they were able to get out of the hardware. I think they just hobbled themselves with its specs (good for keeping the price low around launch, but it caught up to them in the long term) and the motion control gimmick... but I could rant about that for ages, so I'll spare you the frothing rage.

Another thing that bothers me is developers shying away from Nintendo's system when it comes to big-name titles. I'm super pissed off as a Wii owner that all the good games are only out for PS3, 360, and PC. The Wii never gets a copy. I've seen games like Call of Duty MW3 and Resident Evil 4, and they are great. So the whole "The Wii is under-powered" argument is bullshit. With proper optimizations made, any game can be ported to the Wii. I was hopeful when the Wii U launched that big name devs were jumping on board, and now they're all bailing from a ship that wasn't sinking.

"With all due respect, sir, you are wrong."

Developers shied away because, well, their titles generally didn't sell all that well. Don't forget that the Wii received some pretty cool, exclusive third party titles not long after its launch. They bombed. It's unfair to expect developers to pour money into a system that isn't netting them a decent profit - that's just poor business sense.

And yes, a port of a Gamecube title and a stripped down version of Modern Warfare are clear proof that the Wii was a powerhouse. Clearly. Suck it, fangoys!

We have quite a few experts on hardware in GBAtemp, people much smarter than me (I still believe that consoles run on pixie dust and the power of wishing), so any of them could happily explain to you how the Wii's hardware was unequivocally weaker than what the competition had to offer. Add in motion controls and porting becomes a very difficult prospect.

Sure, technically you can port any title to the Wii, just like I could technically port GTA IV to my TI-84. Problem is, I would have to make so many cuts and adjustments (to put it loosely) that the final product would in no way resemble the original game - and if that's the end result, what's the point?

Devs need to pull their LAZY, ARROGANT heads out of their asses, and start doing shit right.

lolokay

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait.... hold on... everybody's been saying that it nee.... you know what, fuck it. Not even going to try.

It needs third party support but it's not the responsibility of third parties to throw their own cash off a cliff in a leap of faith. It's up to Nintendo to get the console selling, to snag exclusivity deals, to encourage third party development, to just advertise it a lot. It's been the same for every console.

Third party developers aren't in the business for charity. They're not gonna make huge risks just to get a console selling. Nintendo (or any other manufacturer) has to take the responsibility to get it selling, then third parties will flock to it.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My family is selling the wii u for the PS4 now, we have all given up on the poor little thing.
I mean, how are we supposed to play a system that has nothing going for it, has titles that we've already played on our 360, and is losing support from third parties left and right?
I've been trying to force myself to enjoy it but I literally just can't try anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@