Hacking Just bought a 3-in-1 for my R4

turtleman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered from NXPgame.com last night at 9:30, I got an email at 10:55 telling me that my product has been shipped. And the shipping was only 3 bucks! =D (not to mention, they're located in new york, and since I'm in jersey, I should be expecting it tomarrow)

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You can only store one game on the 3-in-1 in NOR ram(the rest is on your slot-1 and you usually load them in PSRAM). I usually don't recommend using just NOR ram because of how long it takes to load a rom (on first run only). Games that have the ability to link into another game (like Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen) can only do Pokemon Transfers while loaded into NOR, so that's my only exception and/or the game is 32 MB (since PSRAM is 16 MB max)

PSRAM is for people who have pirate syndrome like me where you can't stick to one game and consistently swap through many different games. PSRAM is automatically wiped every time you turn off your DS since it requires power to retain the memory. Good thing it's only used for the rom itself and not the saves
tongue.gif

SRAM is automatically backed up into the slot-1 when you boot up your 3-in-1 with a different game (with NDStation, it'll automatically back it up on boot up, but I don't recommend the program cause it's slow and unreliable). Also, using the Restore from SRAM.bin option on Rudolph's/Whatever the new one is called, you can bring in VisualBoy Advance Battery Saves. Just make sure you 1) have the save file properly named in case-sensitive text, and you DO NOT have a SRAM.bin in your GBA/SAVES folder.

If you think about it, you'd never really have to use the NOR RAM ever, since there are so few 32 MB games that are good. There's no real point other than Pokemon, but, I'm not one to play Pokemon, so that's the end of story for me.

sebast2600

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grimalkin,

From what I can read on Dealextreme, the 3-in-1 EZflash expansion pack comes with 32 MB of NOR memory. You said some devices use PSRAM, which one? Is there another version of the 3-in-1 EZ with PSRAM, or are you refering to a completely different product? I would prefer to buy a PSRAM expansion pack too, if it's faster than the NOR expansion pack.

Thanks,
Seb

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ALL EzFlash 3-in-1 come with 32 MB of NOR memory. 16 MB of PSRAM and 4 KB of SRAM. There is no other 3-in-1. (well, there's a Phat version, but it's the same product)

Dealextreme is the most inaccurate when it comes to actual product description. But, nonetheless, I ordered mine from them as well.

Mloteq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've been using 3-in-1 with rudolphs' loader for a while now,and while it has been mostly painless there were couple of times when the saves were lost(or,even weirder, save reverted to older version with less game progress).I'm pretty sure I did everything like readme said (patching when necessary etc) but maybe I did mess up something so my question is, under what conditions one would lose the saves (or have them revert to the earlier state)?

sebast2600

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Dealextreme is the most inaccurate when it comes to actual product description."

Well, it's the same description everywhere, even on the official website: "equipped with 256Mbit Nor-flash, 2-Mbit SRAM, and battery for game saves." The PSRAM size is mentioned nowhere, except on the following nice review:
http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=29839

Some people complain that the build quality is extremely poor and the device can break easily, though. Grimalkin, have you had any issues like that with your EZ 3-in-1?

Seb

sebast2600

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and btw, what about the "GBA expansion pack" from the M3 team? Is it good? Does anybody know what kind of memory it has (NOR or PSRAM), and if it's compatible with the R4?

Thanks,
Seb

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, and btw, what about the "GBA expansion pack" from the M3 team? Is it good? Does anybody know what kind of memory it has (NOR or PSRAM), and if it's compatible with the R4?

Thanks,
Seb
I believe that uses SDRAM (I think only the 3-in-1 uses either NOR or PSRAM), but no, I don't think it's compatible (yet) with anything but the M3 Real.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I use GBALdr, do I have to do anything to the saves? Or is it very simple as to just loading up a rom to NOR and playing?

Also do Pokemon saves corrupt on the 3in1? My emerald version save corrupted and the game keeps telling me my save was corrupted and/or erased. I tried with different backups of the .sav file and it still comes up with that message.

victorlammy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
"Dealextreme is the most inaccurate when it comes to actual product description."

Well, it's the same description everywhere, even on the official website:Â "equipped with 256Mbit Nor-flash, 2-Mbit SRAM, and battery for game saves." The PSRAM size is mentioned nowhere, except on the following nice review:
http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=29839

Some people complain that the build quality is extremely poor and the device can break easily, though. Grimalkin, have you had any issues like that with your EZ 3-in-1?

Seb

Well the build quality is not perfect, it is slightly sticking out like 1 or 2 mm. I am not sure if it can be break easily, but it is tough enough for normal usage. Anyway, it it not supposed to be take out of the slot2 once you put it in, at least I couldn't find any reason to take my one out after install. And after all, hey, for $19 and it let you play GBA games, gives you rumble function and expansion pack ram, it's AMAZING!

victorlammy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You can only store one game on the 3-in-1 in NOR ram(the rest is on your slot-1 and you usually load them in PSRAM). I usually don't recommend using just NOR ram because of how long it takes to load a rom (on first run only). Games that have the ability to link into another game (like Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen) can only do Pokemon Transfers while loaded into NOR, so that's my only exception and/or the game is 32 MB (since PSRAM is 16 MB max)

PSRAM is for people who have pirate syndrome like me where you can't stick to one game and consistently swap through many different games. PSRAM is automatically wiped every time you turn off your DS since it requires power to retain the memory. Good thing it's only used for the rom itself and not the saves
tongue.gif

SRAM is automatically backed up into the slot-1 when you boot up your 3-in-1 with a different game (with NDStation, it'll automatically back it up on boot up, but I don't recommend the program cause it's slow and unreliable). Also, using the Restore from SRAM.bin option on Rudolph's/Whatever the new one is called, you can bring in VisualBoy Advance Battery Saves. Just make sure you 1) have the save file properly named in case-sensitive text, and you DO NOT have a SRAM.bin in your GBA/SAVES folder.

If you think about it, you'd never really have to use the NOR RAM ever, since there are so few 32 MB games that are good. There's no real point other than Pokemon, but, I'm not one to play Pokemon, so that's the end of story for me.

The VisualBoy Ad Battery Saves you mentioned there, are you talking about the save files from the GBA emulator on PC? If yes, could you explain it with a bit more detail? better with an example as well. I do have a few save files from the GBA emulator that I would like to put it on the 3in1 if possible. Thanks a bunch ahead.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, the saves from Visual Boy Advance.

Start your GBA rom on your DS and save somewhere so that there is a GBA .SAV file on your SD card. Copy the name, case sensitive. At the same time, look for an SRAM.bin, delete it (if there's no SRAM.bin or you've never created one, don't bother looking for one).

On VBA, load your ROM and load your save. Go File>Export>Battery

Go to whereever your Battery saves are stored on your computer. Change the filename to the one you found on your DS. The filesize does not matter, Rudolph's tool will automatically pad it to the right size.

Copy and overwrite the file on your DS.

Run rudolphs or whatever his program is called now. Highlight your Rom where you want to import the save to and "Restore from SRAM.bin[or something like that, just restore it from somewhere]"

Since there's no SRAM.bin it'll just blank out the save file stored in the SRAM. Run the game, and it'll say no SRAM data found, and will automatically load up the SAV file loaded on your SD card because it thinks it's a real copy(since it had no data from the SRAM.bin, it needed something in it's place), and voila, you've successfully imported your VBA save.

EDIT:
If you have problems, try setting the VBA save type to FLASH 128k

victorlammy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yeah, the saves from Visual Boy Advance.

Start your GBA rom on your DS and save somewhere so that there is a GBA .SAV file on your SD card. Copy the name, case sensitive. At the same time, look for an SRAM.bin, delete it (if there's no SRAM.bin or you've never created one, don't bother looking for one).

On VBA, load your ROM and load your save. Go File>Export>Battery

Go to whereever your Battery saves are stored on your computer. Change the filename to the one you found on your DS. The filesize does not matter, Rudolph's tool will automatically pad it to the right size.

Copy and overwrite the file on your DS.

Run rudolphs or whatever his program is called now. Highlight your Rom where you want to import the save to and "Restore from SRAM.bin[or something like that, just restore it from somewhere]"

Since there's no SRAM.bin it'll just blank out the save file stored in the SRAM. Run the game, and it'll say no SRAM data found, and will automatically load up the SAV file loaded on your SD card because it thinks it's a real copy(since it had no data from the SRAM.bin, it needed something in it's place), and voila, you've successfully imported your VBA save.

EDIT:
If you have problems, try setting the VBA save type to FLASH 128k

Kool~ I will give it a go tonight. Thanks!
BTW, what is that SRAM.bin file anyway? is it like a temp file that the tool store the save? why does it need that?

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's a temporary file that you can back up one of your saves to store or restore onto a NORFlashed game (or viceversa to PSRAM).

EDIT: Another practical use would be if a game only has one save slot, but you're sharing with a sibling. You can restore another copy if it was saved to SRAM.bin Effectively making infinite saveslots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Teeth? What Teeth?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Do crack instead. Beer is more of a depressant.
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    I like taking trips without even leaving my house, if ya know what I mean.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hygienist name is Jose I'm like fuck Juan found me
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did he ask to see yo feet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's second cousin obsessed with teeth
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you wake up with your belt un-buckled?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Let me lift you up in my chair
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Down there, teeth removal is putting you behind an angry donkey.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth removal is tying the donkeys hair to the tooth and slapping it's ass
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cleaning stuff they used was actually nice tasted like frosting
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That'd be 2million pesos, drink this tequila for your pain.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also buy my art senior don't forget what happened with Germany
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For reference, so everyone knows we are not racist, just like to pick on Juan, and he gives it back to us 'murdicans in return. I love me some latinos.
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    hello? anyone alive here?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm dead inside
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    at least you can chat :)
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i dont want to sound silly, but im kind of lost, im new to this community and i have a lot of question and idk where to start
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I watched baby yoda eat frog eggs on mandalorian last night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It is nice and loud and thunder and lightning stormy outside, love it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Can't wait for the inevitable power outage where it's initially funny because I have half of my apartment on UPSes, then I realize I have literal minutes to start shutting down all of my servers.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You must be north of me Im in Ohio.. It been storming on off alk day here
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You must be north of me Im in Ohio.. It been storming on off alk day here