Hacking Just a couple of Q's.

zellthemedic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went off and bought a Supercard from GameYeeeah yesterday and a 2gb Kingston MicroSD card with a card reader from Buy.com (For 12USD with free shipping!). Just got done reading the official review on it a few mins ago, and I was a bit scared about my purchase at first, then I read a few of the posts here and you guys got my hopes up. Phew.

So what's up with this real-time saving thing that everyone's talking about?

Do some of the problems in the official review exist?

Am I going to have any problems with the Kingston 2gb memory card?

Does Wifi/Download play work well?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

(Here's the buy.com link to the 2gb card -- it's not the exact one, and it is $4 more expensive without free shipping, but I couldn't find the one I bought, probably went out of stock:

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-2gb-micro.../205713249.html )

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. RTS lets you save from anywhere in the game even if there isn't a save point nearby. It's basically a savestate. Only the SCDS and CycloDS offer this.

2. Which problems in particular? It's improved greatly since the review was written, I can say that much.

3. If it's from Taiwan, then possibly with certain games and probably not with most games. If it's from Japan, you shouldn't have any issues with any games.

4. You can select the patching option to fix Download Play before running a game, and I haven't heard any reports of this not working, but I've heard it doesn't work with cheats enabled. Therefore, if you like cheats, keep this option disabled by default and then only enable it when you know you want to use Download Play. Regular multi-cart multiplayer and WFC multiplayer should all work fine.

zellthemedic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
1. RTS lets you save from anywhere in the game even if there isn't a save point nearby. It's basically a savestate. Only the SCDS and CycloDS offer this.

2. Which problems in particular? It's improved greatly since the review was written, I can say that much.

3. If it's from Taiwan, then possibly with certain games and probably not with most games. If it's from Japan, you shouldn't have any issues with any games.

4. You can select the patching option to fix Download Play before running a game, and I haven't heard any reports of this not working, but I've heard it doesn't work with cheats enabled. Therefore, if you like cheats, keep this option disabled by default and then only enable it when you know you want to use Download Play. Regular multi-cart multiplayer and WFC multiplayer should all work fine.

1. I see. Eh, not for me.

2. The problem where if the microSD was full, it would erase all of the save files.

3. Anyway I can distinguish the two?

4. Bah! I don't need cheats!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zellthemedic said:
Went off and bought a Supercard from GameYeeeah yesterday and a 2gb Kingston MicroSD card with a card reader from Buy.com (For 12USD with free shipping!). Just got done reading the official review on it a few mins ago, and I was a bit scared about my purchase at first, then I read a few of the posts here and you guys got my hopes up. Phew.

So what's up with this real-time saving thing that everyone's talking about?

Do some of the problems in the official review exist?

Am I going to have any problems with the Kingston 2gb memory card?

Does Wifi/Download play work well?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

(Here's the buy.com link to the 2gb card -- it's not the exact one, and it is $4 more expensive without free shipping, but I couldn't find the one I bought, probably went out of stock:

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-2gb-micro.../205713249.html )

Before I answer the questions, you should know that the GBAtemp review of the Supercard is outdated, and isn't the review for Supercard V3. The review in GBAtemp is the review of V1. The difference is that the V3 fixed the big bugs, sdhc support, Real time save (which I'll explain), and became one of the best Flashkarts for the DS.

1. You get to save, and load a game in the middle of the game. So, like when you're playing a game, and get stuck on one part, use realtime save. Then load the RTS, you'll play exactly where you left off. This is important for games like NSMB.

2. Outdated review, and none of the problems exist anymore. If the supercard team makes some improvements, it'll be the best.

3. Get the Kingston Japan one. It's 16 dollars at DealExtreme (Shipping already included), and it's guarenteed to be genuine Japanese card, which are the fastest cards.

4. Every single new flashkarts can do this. Older ones can as well, but still.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zellthemedic said:
Is there any way to tell which country of SD cards mine are from?

I think the languages on the packaging is different. I'm not sure.

If you want the Japanese kingston cards, which are one of the fastest cards out there, buy it off DealExtreme, since they sell the genuine version only. Not their 4 gig kingston though. Their 4 gig was Chinese. 1,2 gigs are Japanese. It says that on the page.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zellthemedic said:
So...should I be concerned about that until I find out?
All of my uSDs have written right on the card where they are from.
e.g.
Mine look sort of like
Kingston 46783
Japan

Toshiba 56734
Japan

etc.

The only uSD I have that does NOT have a country listed is the generic 128MB uSD that I got with my Datel Games'n'Music. That one just says 128M IIRC.

The problem with the China/Taiwan/US uSDs is that some of them may start off with OK random access latencies, but the latency increases as the card is filled making games like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and the Tony Hawk game unplayable, or at least freeze or crash every now and then. Other games seem to run fine from what I've read.

Also this problem does NOT seem to affect the class 4 and class 6 SDHC uSDs, or at least the ones that I've read about so far, although I have read some short lines that would seem to indicate that some of the Sandisk class 4 SDHC cards may have problems, but I haven't seen enough about it to give it any credit yet...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F