ROM Hack Jump Ulimate Stars Translation Project

rcxAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With regard to expletives I am not bothered myself but I have seen stuff with inordinate amounts added in "for effect" which I do not see the need for, consider also that Japanese censors seem somewhat nonplaussed by violence but swears are a different story (pretty much the opposite of what exists around here).
I agree with this. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the fansubbers are just throwing in extra words just for the sake of throwing them in. Granted, I don't know Japanese, so I can't comment on how often this happens. But at any rate, I don't think there's a reason to throw in more words than necessary. Also, I don't think there's a need to increase the intensity of a phrase. For example, if the closest translation for a particular phrase culturally would be "what are you doing?!" Then I don't see a point in translating it as, "What the f*ck are you doing you f*cking son of a b*tch?!?!" I hope I'm over exaggerating here..

At any rate, the project seems to be progressing quite nicely. Keep up the great work, everyone
grog.gif

J_Devon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like the idea of rewriting in stead of just translating phrases, but won't that be a whole lot more work?

Personally I prefer Japanese names. Someone mentioned Muscle Man as a translation of Kinnuku Man, but that would be the same as translating Gohan to Meal (or Cooked Rice as I saw on a translation site
tongue.gif
)

@ beautifulbeast

Maybe add an overall progress bar?
Also, can't you round the progress percentage to two numbers of decimal places?

Doing a great job, keep it up.

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Like J_Devon said, rewriting would be a good idea but it would be a lot of work. I wouldn't be able to do it by myself...especially since I'm not too creative in thinking up lines.

Just a note to other translator(s)...commwin.bin is a bit different from other files. Each line is a sentence fragment, and the game puts them together according to where it is needed. Here are some example phrases from the game...so you know exactly how to phrase them in the script dump:

?????????
?????????
?????????

???????
?????????
????????????

J????
??????
????????????

??????????????

For the script inserter (probably FAST6191)...I kept the "%" used for the variable for names and stuff..just a reminder to replace it with the original value ^^

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Update: A lot of people are asking me to include an overall progress bar, but I'm afraid I won't be doing that because I'm a little busy lately with my new job and all that stuff and because it's not that necessary.

On bad words: the consensuous is clear here: keep them but not overdo it.

On rewriting the translation from scratch: I'm about to send a message to p1noypr1de asking him wich files need that treatment, but it hurts me to think that he might end up doing it all by himself.

On names of specials: I expected to see more people's opinions, is everyone busy with their new pokèmons or what?

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lol about the pokemans ^^

In my opinion, I believe it is best if we simply translate to romanji the kanji for the moveset for the characters. If translation to english must occur, then make it so that it is presented as a subscript. From what I've seen around many other anime/manga IRC channels, websites and forums, people have a tendency to enjoy their series with the original moves (Eg. : transforming Luffy's moves from Gomu Gomu no Rocket to Rubber Rubber Rocket sounds corny, and extremely amateur-like).

[Jez]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I read probably far to much Manga and am used too seeing the romanized Japanese names for characters and skills and while I couldn't pronounce them I understand exactly what they mean.

So my heavily biased vote goes to romanizing names

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm happy to contribute my opinion in regards to what gets translated and what gets romanized.

I think ALL character names and attacks should be Romanized as most fans of the Shonen Jump manga series would have been introduced to them as fan translated/scanlated series. I think you'll find most of us have become accustomed to the Japanese versions of names/attacks.

Surely the names and attacks would only make up a small piece of the entire translation project, so there is allways the option to have one patch with translated names and a second with romanized one. A translated version could allways be done at a later date once the initial project is complete.

Best of luck to all involved in this project!

As for the "spanish patch" It's actually Italian, and it's for Jump Super Stars not Ultimate. It can be found at www.gbarl.it

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like the ability_t.bin file has been completely translated (over 100% even!). When can we expect the patches to be available as nightly builds? I'll be ready anytime to patch them up unto the Jump! Ultimate Stars .nds file, viewing the different menu interfaces and komas, and post my feedback on how the translation is coming along, from a practical perspective.

rcxAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, that's weird. I'm actually noticing that there are a few phrases not yet translated in ability_t.bin. The ones that I noticed are:

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Another poll/question:

Koma or Frame?

Which one sounds better? I really dunno which to pick for this one. When talking about decks, I think "Frame/Panels" sound much better...seeing they ARE manga frames.

But those things you battle are also supposedly frames/komas...but I don't think they look like it o.o...so maybe use "koma" when referring to those things?

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Koma or frame? I say Koma, because that's the name everyone who knows this game uses. Also, because they are not comic frames, but manga komas, so it would make sense.

Also, sorry that I've been unable to implement the director class yet, and without that there won't be any nightly builds or builds at all. The reason is I've been busy with my new job (yai!) and I don't know when I will have time to make it. Soon hopefully.

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Why? It will be out in english anyway.

How much I'd want that, that won't be happening. Why did you get that idea from?
Isn't that what we're trying to do? :wtf:

Anyway...anyone wanna answer my question?

EDIT:
One more thing, a word that comes up often "???"...is there any particular word you'd wanna use for this? Literally it'd be "Certain Kill Soul/Spirit"......referring to that thing similar to a "Special Move/Ultimate Gauge".

J_Devon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1