Julia Gillard New Australian PM

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
JULIA Gillard will become Australia's first female Prime Minister after she won a stunning leadership contest against Kevin Rudd this morning.

In a historic decision, Labor MPs decided to oust Mr Rudd who will go down in history as the first Prime Minister ever to be turfed out by his party - within his first term of winning power.

The leadership handover occurred without a ballot after Mr Rudd decided not to force his supporters into declaring their support.

Ms Gillard's victory was assured last night after most of the Rudd Government ministers - including Treasurer Wayne Swan - decided to oust Mr Rudd as the Labor leader.

A confident Ms Gillard, flanked by the Treasurer who will become her deputy, walked into the Caucus meeting, confident they had the numbers to defeat Mr Rudd.

At 9.36am (AEST), Caucus spokesman and NSW Senator Michael Forshaw emerged to declare Ms Gillard would become Australia's next Prime Minister.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"The new leader elected unopposed is Julia Gillard, the new deputy leader is Wayne Swan," Senator Forshaw said, outside the Caucus room.

Ms Gillard - and the man she ousted as national leader - addressed a dazed Labor partyroom.

Mr Rudd - who won power in 2007 with a popular Kevin 07 campaign - bowed to pressure from his colleagues and withdrew from the contest, assuring Ms Gillard's ascension to the leadership.

Mr Rudd's decision to stand aside came as he lost the backing of key factional brokers - and powerful unions including the Australian Workers Union - after ALP powerbrokers formed the view that the Government was heading for defeat unless it changed leaders.

A suite of Ministers - including Sports Minister Kate Ellis and Climate Change Minister Penny Wong - decided to back Ms Gillard.

Heading into the Caucus meeting, senior factional leaders claimed Ms Gillard had at least 70 votes - from a Caucus of 112.

Mr Rudd's defeat represents the most stunning political turnaround imaginable, for a leader who just a few months ago was rivalling Bob Hawke in the popularity stakes.

But a series of political mistakes - including ditching the emissions trading scheme and rolling out a new 40 per cent "super" profits take on the mining sector - saw a collapse in Mr Rudd's and Labor's vote.

The historic vote of confidence for Ms Gillard will see her installed as Australia's 27th Prime Minister and its first female leader.

Mr Forshaw said it had been a difficult time for both Mr Rudd and the Labor Party.

"He led us to victory in 2007, a victory that was achieved when many people thought that we would still be spending more years in Opposition.

"That is a great achievement, he did that with Julia Gillard as the Deputy Leader."

Mr Forshaw said he is now looking "confidently forward to the next election", led by the new team.

Mr Rudd ignored questions from reporters as he left the Caucus room.

He was accompanied by senior ministers John Faulkner and Kim Carr and Queensland backbencher Jon Sullivan.

Both Ms Gillard and Mr Swan were elected unopposed.

Labor's new leaders have left the Caucus room without speaking to reporters.

Frontbencher Craig Emerson said Mr Rudd was "not as happy as gay" as he left the meeting.

"Julia Gillard is Prime Minister and we will all completely and fully support her," he said.

Watch the reaction live here.

Source

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
huh.gif

Our first female prime minister...
mellow.gif

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*sigh* even though I absolutely hate the unions for ruining our country (by forcing Rudd out, and I bet mining companies had a play in it), I sure hope people still vote Gillard next, because she's still infinitely better than the Mad Monk. Anyone who'd vote Abbott in would be sending us back to the dark ages.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
if Julia Gillard was to get blond stripes down her head and then get the bottom of her hair dyed brunette she could unite all the blonds, Brunettes and red heads in australia to unite and take over the country! ......I think we might have a problem.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anaxs said:
i didnt even know elections were happeneing
nyanya.gif
maybe cuz im in Canada

soon, but this wasnt via a national election. gilliard got pushed to step up, rudd lost popularity within the labor party and they needed someone to take over. most likely this wasn't their own decisions. now its going to be gilliard vs abbot for the election, australia is going to go to shit either way.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares they are all lieing backstabing scumbags that would slit each others throats just to be in power. And if i was Rudd i wouldnt argue the point either with the party just take my $250k plus retirement plan and say good bye suckers.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cermage said:
anaxs said:
i didnt even know elections were happeneing
nyanya.gif
maybe cuz im in Canada

soon, but this wasnt via a national election. gilliard got pushed to step up, rudd lost popularity within the labor party and they needed someone to take over. most likely this wasn't their own decisions. now its going to be gilliard vs abbot for the election, australia is going to go to shit either way.
it couldn't possibly get any worse after what that cunt howard has done!!:

1. fucked interest rates
2. fucked buying stuff (GST!)
3. dragged us into the war

am i missing anything?

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FAST6191 said:
Nice one Australia, you seem to be shedding some of your lesser politicos of late.

Time to start rebuilding.
+1
Sometimes a goverment needs a reformation from within, but most of the times goverments are pussies.
frown.gif

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kwartel said:
FAST6191 said:
Nice one Australia, you seem to be shedding some of your lesser politicos of late.

Time to start rebuilding.
+1
Sometimes a goverment needs a reformation from within, but most of the times goverments are pussies.
frown.gif

Yes because dutch people should talk about politics. A country that cant hold a government for more then 2 years -_-

Rudd was a kickass guy imo, just too bad that he took too much on, they should have given him more time I rekcon. But then again Gillqrd isnt too bad either I suppose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?