Julia Gillard New Australian PM

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by fgghjjkll, Jun 24, 2010.

Jun 24, 2010
  1. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    JULIA Gillard will become Australia's first female Prime Minister after she won a stunning leadership contest against Kevin Rudd this morning.

In a historic decision, Labor MPs decided to oust Mr Rudd who will go down in history as the first Prime Minister ever to be turfed out by his party - within his first term of winning power.

The leadership handover occurred without a ballot after Mr Rudd decided not to force his supporters into declaring their support.

Ms Gillard's victory was assured last night after most of the Rudd Government ministers - including Treasurer Wayne Swan - decided to oust Mr Rudd as the Labor leader.

A confident Ms Gillard, flanked by the Treasurer who will become her deputy, walked into the Caucus meeting, confident they had the numbers to defeat Mr Rudd.

At 9.36am (AEST), Caucus spokesman and NSW Senator Michael Forshaw emerged to declare Ms Gillard would become Australia's next Prime Minister.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "The new leader elected unopposed is Julia Gillard, the new deputy leader is Wayne Swan," Senator Forshaw said, outside the Caucus room.

Ms Gillard - and the man she ousted as national leader - addressed a dazed Labor partyroom.

Mr Rudd - who won power in 2007 with a popular Kevin 07 campaign - bowed to pressure from his colleagues and withdrew from the contest, assuring Ms Gillard's ascension to the leadership.

Mr Rudd's decision to stand aside came as he lost the backing of key factional brokers - and powerful unions including the Australian Workers Union - after ALP powerbrokers formed the view that the Government was heading for defeat unless it changed leaders.

A suite of Ministers - including Sports Minister Kate Ellis and Climate Change Minister Penny Wong - decided to back Ms Gillard.

Heading into the Caucus meeting, senior factional leaders claimed Ms Gillard had at least 70 votes - from a Caucus of 112.

Mr Rudd's defeat represents the most stunning political turnaround imaginable, for a leader who just a few months ago was rivalling Bob Hawke in the popularity stakes.

But a series of political mistakes - including ditching the emissions trading scheme and rolling out a new 40 per cent "super" profits take on the mining sector - saw a collapse in Mr Rudd's and Labor's vote.

The historic vote of confidence for Ms Gillard will see her installed as Australia's 27th Prime Minister and its first female leader.

Mr Forshaw said it had been a difficult time for both Mr Rudd and the Labor Party.

"He led us to victory in 2007, a victory that was achieved when many people thought that we would still be spending more years in Opposition.

"That is a great achievement, he did that with Julia Gillard as the Deputy Leader."

Mr Forshaw said he is now looking "confidently forward to the next election", led by the new team.

Mr Rudd ignored questions from reporters as he left the Caucus room.

He was accompanied by senior ministers John Faulkner and Kim Carr and Queensland backbencher Jon Sullivan.

Both Ms Gillard and Mr Swan were elected unopposed.

Labor's new leaders have left the Caucus room without speaking to reporters.

Frontbencher Craig Emerson said Mr Rudd was "not as happy as gay" as he left the meeting.

"Julia Gillard is Prime Minister and we will all completely and fully support her," he said.

Watch the reaction live here.

Source

2. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    [​IMG]
    Our first female prime minister... [​IMG]

3. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Excellent, excellent...

4. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    i didnt even know elections were happeneing [​IMG] maybe cuz im in Canada

5. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    buhbye mr sheen
    [​IMG]

6. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    *sigh* even though I absolutely hate the unions for ruining our country (by forcing Rudd out, and I bet mining companies had a play in it), I sure hope people still vote Gillard next, because she's still infinitely better than the Mad Monk. Anyone who'd vote Abbott in would be sending us back to the dark ages.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    the mining tax did it to him they all rebelled!

8. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    julia gillard creeps me out

9. Ryufushichou

Member Ryufushichou I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!

Australia
    if Julia Gillard was to get blond stripes down her head and then get the bottom of her hair dyed brunette she could unite all the blonds, Brunettes and red heads in australia to unite and take over the country! ......I think we might have a problem.

10. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    this is not in the news, weird

also im still waiting for my free laptop [​IMG]

11. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    soon, but this wasnt via a national election. gilliard got pushed to step up, rudd lost popularity within the labor party and they needed someone to take over. most likely this wasn't their own decisions. now its going to be gilliard vs abbot for the election, australia is going to go to shit either way.

12. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Who cares they are all lieing backstabing scumbags that would slit each others throats just to be in power. And if i was Rudd i wouldnt argue the point either with the party just take my $250k plus retirement plan and say good bye suckers.

13. Bladexdsl

Australia
    it couldn't possibly get any worse after what that cunt howard has done!!:

1. fucked interest rates
    2. fucked buying stuff (GST!)
    3. dragged us into the war

am i missing anything?

14. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    You forgot that near the death of howard, he tried to introduce workplace laws tax or whatever it's called.

15. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    I hear you...

16. Bladexdsl

Australia
    yeah but he didn't get away with that that's why i didn't list it [​IMG]

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nice one Australia, you seem to be shedding some of your lesser politicos of late.

Time to start rebuilding.

18. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    +1
    Sometimes a goverment needs a reformation from within, but most of the times goverments are pussies. [​IMG]

19. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia

Yes because dutch people should talk about politics. A country that cant hold a government for more then 2 years -_-

Rudd was a kickass guy imo, just too bad that he took too much on, they should have given him more time I rekcon. But then again Gillqrd isnt too bad either I suppose

20. Beats

Banned Beats Banned

Australia
    We are fucked.