Gaming JPN/ENG dictionary on DS?

Dashwolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does such title or homebrew exist?

I've seen a kor/jpn dictionary title but is there a jpn/eng title?

was just hoping if theres one, i could convert my ds to a walking dictionary
when i go japan next month for my holidays. It would be handy
gba.gif

Orusaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, there is. However, it will not help you much, or at all if you don't already speak some Japanese. It's made for Japanese people, you see. The software really isn't comparable to a decent deshi-jisyo, but it's very nice for it's price tag. I'm an exchange student in Japan, and the DS dictionary software is really popular amongst the exchange students here. I, however, find it to be unsatisfactory, espeially in looking up Japanese words from English.

Anyway, though, if you don't at least read kana, then you won't be able to get anything out of it. Just get one of the cheap phrase books, if you absolutely feel compelled to speak Japanese to the natives. Let me just tell you, though, they will actually answer you in Japanese, and you won't be able to follow. So, I'd say stick to English, even though very few people speak it here, and those who do, tend to do so poorly. Many of the Japanese English students at the university I'm at have great problems expressing simple things.

Anyway, if you want to give the dictionary softwar a go, it's:

0405 Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten

Good luck. Just remember that English signs give no guarantee that there are people there who can actually speak English.

reemixx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm curious about something..

Why is it, then, that there are so many English words amongst the Japanese words in their music, anime, games, etc, if most people in Japan don't understand English? I mean, you'll be listening to something and all of a sudden you'll hear an English word or three, and then it will go back to Japanese. It's the same in games, there are some words in English amongst the Japanese words, like in Oendan, the people on the map have little speech bubbles above their heads saying "HELP!"

Why is there so much of this in Japanese entertainment?

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey. I've been studying Japanese for 2 and a half years now and I have been living in Japan for over 8 months. Since I inconveniently broke my normal electronic dictionary just before going to Japan I have been using 0405 Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten.

Either way, using an electronic dictionary as well as the DS software requires some knowledge of Japanese. At least you should be able to read hiragana/katakana. If you're able to do that, you can consider using the DS software or an electronic dictionary. If not, you can use this title as a phrase book: 0419 Tabi no Yubisashi Kaiwachou DS America

Personally I find the DS software to be excellent. The quality of the dictionary is the same as any reasonably priced electronic dictionary. On top of that, unlike the reasonably priced dictionaries you can draw kanji and the DS will recognize it.

The downside is looking up Japanese words from English gets you the Japanese word written in kanji. With the average electronic dictionary you can select the word and then look up it's pronunciation. With the DS, you have to draw the kanji in order to do this. This means that you'll have a hard time if you're unable to properly replicate kanji (some basic kanji knowledge is needed for proper use) and it takes a couple more seconds.

Equal to the DS is any electronic dictionary that let's you draw kanji. And better are the ones that let you draw and also feature a better dictionary (kenkyuusha). The latter is only recommended when you're very serious about studying Japanese since it's obviously expensive.

Either way, anyone who is at least somewhat serious about studying Japanese should have something that let's you draw kanji.

Dashwolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ben: XD never knew you hanged out here...

thanks for the replies.
i can speak japanese rather satisfactory and could hold a simple conversation.
my problems are vocab and reading. i've never studied japanese officially so my base is weak, but i can read hiragana and katakana okay i suppose.

I'll check that title out! but my main hope is to input something in english and have that answer in japanese to show it to a japanese person if i do need help. i guess showing them katakana wouldn't help much sometimes...

arashi_nero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cardomain.com
XP
Country
United States
is there any Japanese trainer for English ppl?

yeah, it's called a japanese person.
rofl2.gif

i am very fluent in japanese. reading, writing, whatever. i love this dictionary. i use it every day at work, school, etc. however, it would be almost impossible for a even the person who can read hiragana/katakana. you really need to know kanji to use this and basically any other good japanese electric dict.

as for japanese using english in their songs, games, etc, they do it because it's cool. it's like someone here saying a word in japanese because it makes them sound cool or educated. my orchestra teacher uses sukoshi (skosh) all the time. makes me sick because he uses it out of context. i have a big az kanji on the rear window of my car because it looks good. no difference. japanese people are better at english than outsiders are at japanese, tho.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
so is there any GBA/DS/etc game/homebrew to train japanese? not just writing (Kanja/Hiragana/Katakana), i want to learn how to talk and stuff, even with romanji.

and whats best game/homebrew u saw for learning Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji?

arashi_nero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cardomain.com
XP
Country
United States
like i said, to really learn japanese, you need a japanese person to teach you. if you can't find a japanese person, take japanese classes at a school, find stuff on the internet, or buy something like the rosetta program. no ds program is going to teach you japanese unless you have a good dictionary along with it. looking up words can only get you so far tho. you really need to speak to real japanese people or live in japan (where you will speak to real japanese people).

btw, anime does not teach you real japanese.
rolleyes.gif

also, it's not romanji. say that to a jap and see what they do (they won't laugh, it's against their culture). its ro-maji.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like arashi said, teaching yourself won't work. The only way to learn without intensively studying is to go to Japan. And even then you need to study up on the basics. Personally I believe the best mix would be to study for about a year so you have some basic vocab and know all the broad grammatical rules and then go to Japan.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you READ japanese, there are travel book stuffs on DS, that contains basic conversations. Get an UK/USA version, and you can use it reversely to figure out how to say English things in Japanese. If you don't read Japanese though... tough luck..

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, I know one thing that can help you out quite well. It's a set of audio cd's with Japanese lessons which you repeat and remember. It's great for beginners. It costs a fortune so I would instead use the world wide web for alternative ways of obtaining it. Look for "pimsleur japanese"

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx for recommendation, but i'm in a god forsaken country with a god forsaken internet connection.

Onomimono wa ikaga deska?!

----
@arashi, are u persian?

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
You could also try getting your hands on some textbooks, for example: "Remembering the Kanji" which is really good for learning to identify and write each kanji. It doesn't however teach the Japanese pronounciation.

It has helped me to learn countless Kanji! The awesome thing is the descriptions that accompany the different elements building up the kanji, so each kanji becomes quite logical and easy to remember.

Edit: Oops! Crap, I brought the topic astray....
frown.gif

Anyways, I really concur with the previous recommendation of using the kanji sonomama rakubiki jiten dictionary as soon as you get hold of the kana. As soon as I learn the different kanji from "remembering the kanji" I can just draw them on the DS and learn their different readings!
happy.gif

Whatever anyone says this is and has been a hyper-effective method for me to learn these Chinese inventions.

yaynds.gif

BTW, test84, Arashi is a Japanese boy band who had a number 1 hit single last month. Arash, who is an Iranian-Swedish (yay!)
laugh.gif
is not the same person as the group Arashi. Just for your information, if it confused you.
cool.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
u have no idea where I'm living.
its not hell, its worse.
we dont have credit cards, copyright law, online trading, money transfer outside of country,etc.
its good that there is these kinds of stuff and u can use them and take advantage.

arashi_nero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cardomain.com
XP
Country
United States
test, i'm not persian. sorry. i'm about as white as they come. arashi is a boy band, extremely gay, and for some odd reason, my wife's favorite band. all the groups started by johnny (all boy bands) are the same: gay. that includes smap. my arashi has to do with my car. arashi means tempest or storm in english. the kanji looks badaz, check my profile you can see it on the rear window on the pic there.

i don't want to discourage anyone from learning japanese. on the contrary, i would encourage people to do it. i did it by myself for many years before i moved to japan. to really learn japanese, you need to do it for the right reasons, or you'll have a hard time. learning japanese from games and anime is akan (bad--osaka dialect). they don't use real japanese. if you live in a country where it's hard to get tapes, programs, etc, to learn japanese, it'll be harder. you really have to hear pronunciation to learn pronunciation. you have to speak to natives to be corrected.

first thing you would want to do is go on the internet and find the alphabets (hiragana and katakana) and learn those. know them by heart. practice them several times a day. make flash cards. whatever you need to learn the alphabets. after you able to read and write them without second thought, start learning basic words--food, house items, every day things. don't concern yourself with kanji at that point. write them down in hiragana or katakana, don't use ro-maji. i can't express that enough.

after that, start learning basic verbs: to go, to be, to do, to eat, to read, etc. learn the correct conjugation for each verb. unlike english, there are only a handfull of verbs that are an exception to the grammar rules. always remember that the main verb of a sentence is at the end.

once you start the grammar part, it is ok to start learning a little kanji. try to associate kanji to the meaning of the word. that is how kanji was formed. it's a pictograph. think about kanji, live kanji. when you see the meaning in kanji, you remember the character.

if you ever want to learn what a word is, but you can't read kanji, go to http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/ and type the word you want to know. then copy the japanese word, paste it and look it up with the jap/eng dict. that will give you the reading.

my only other suggestion is to write down every single word you hear, read, etc. learn to look things up. you look up and write down and you remember.

good luck

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
test, i'm not persian. sorry. i'm about as white as they come. arashi is a boy band, extremely gay, and for some odd reason, my wife's favorite band. all the groups started by johnny (all boy bands) are the same: gay. that includes smap. my arashi has to do with my car. arashi means tempest or storm in english. the kanji looks badaz, check my profile you can see it on the rear window on the pic there.
Fuck. I was gonna post how you were named after a gay boy band just now after seeing your name in the front page.

To stay on topic:
Anyway, I use my phone (Softbank X01HT), which uses Windows Mobile, as a Japanese Dictionary. Works great since I can write kanji directly. I have Eijiro, Kojien and Kenkyusha on it. There's info here for anyone with a PPC/WM device who wishes to use the same setup.

Also the books by Heisig, the "Remembering the bla-bla" series is pretty good imo.

EDIT: On a not so related note: Kinki Kids, which was started by Johnny, has a show called Domoto Kyodai which I always watched before because it had Gackt. Gackt is not gay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4