Tutorial  Updated

Joycon mod using Eject button as switch

Main highlight for this mod is that it doesn't use any switch

This is not a complicated mod and can be done by anyone who have learnt soldering. Just need to be careful when soldering at the flex cable.

Previously I was using the reed switch mod, but I always forget to bring my magnet with me so it is kinda pointless.
I wanted a joycon mod without using any external device and I also didn't want to spoil the appearance of my joycon by adding a physical switch.
So I thought of an idea by using the button that disconnect the joycon and the switch main body. Luckily for me there is already a metal plating there which is used for securing the button so it makes my job easier.

Part 1
aIwrsD7.jpg

https://imgur.com/aIwrsD7 Not sure why the pics are broken when I view from my phone but its working on my chrome browser in PC so here is the direct link.

Yellow boxes are the main point to look out for.
What I did to connect the 1st point to the metal plate is to strip my wire by a bit and coil it around the screw area, you will need to unscrew a bit to do that.
For the 2nd point I twisted a stripped end once to make it thicker, then I used UV glue (It drys faster and its secure) and glued it to the button.
You can't really tell from the pic as I use just enough glue so that it won't hinder the button press.

Part 2
ImAQN0v.jpg

https://imgur.com/ImAQN0v Not sure why the pics are broken when I view from my phone but its working on my chrome browser in PC so here is the direct link.

NOTE: You don't have to trim the plastic, @AlexCD17 posted a wire route better than mine on page 3. You can use that route.

Yellow boxes is where I trimmed some plastic off so that the wires can fit without bulging the joycon housing.
Green area is the part where I leave some space else the green boxed area will be pressured against the wire

Tools Needed
- Soldering Iron
- Solder
- Wire (I used wire-wrapping because its the thinnest wire I have)
- Soldering Paste (Optional but makes your job easier)
- Glue (I used quick dry UV glue)

Video

Last edited by slslasher,

BionicGecko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Great idea! I’m currently looking at the various options and might well settle on that one!

Shame there isn’t enough room inside the joycon for the wires without having to scrape some plastic off though :/

slslasher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this mod, if you are playing in handheld mod then dock to tv and remove the joycon to continue play from the couch. Does removing the joycon effect the system in any way? Does that make sense?

slslasher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
With this mod, if you are playing in handheld mod then dock to tv and remove the joycon to continue play from the couch. Does removing the joycon effect the system in any way? Does that make sense?
Hi, I have yet to try on dock mode yet but it should not have an issue. What I have tested is when the joycon is in handheld mod, I hold down the eject button, the joycon would be disconnected as the pins are shorted till I let go of the eject button.

Since you are taking the joycon out anyway it doesn't really matter if it is disconnected.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Could you take a more detailed picture of this part? I can not see well the second yellow box (the one next to the screw) where the cable is wound, I am interested in making its modification in my joycon

36176025_111744123066973_5270684785050648576_o.jpg
Does this help?

https://imgur.com/qdJi3IU

qdJi3IU.jpg

Reactions: slaphappygamer

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this is pretty good. I did the reed switch mod as well, but I'm tempted to try this one out. The reed switch has that "cool" factor, but this is definitely more practical.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is that you have to cut some plastic.

slslasher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Wow, this is pretty good. I did the reed switch mod as well, but I'm tempted to try this one out. The reed switch has that "cool" factor, but this is definitely more practical.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is that you have to cut some plastic.
I did not really explore more routing options for the wire, maybe you or someone else can find a better route for the wires without trimming the plastic away. Actually its just a bit of plastic and you can see it anyway.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not really explore more routing options for the wire, maybe you or someone else can find a better route for the wires without trimming the plastic away. Actually its just a bit of plastic and you can see it anyway.

Hmm, I'll try different routing then. It's not a big deal, though.

By the way, I love Superbeat: Xonic!

slslasher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hmm, I'll try different routing then. It's not a big deal, though.

By the way, I love Superbeat: Xonic!
I did play superbeat xonic but I still prefer dj max! Anyway that ps vita in my avatar is not mine. It is one of my customer where I did trigger led mod for him.

slslasher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
It works better if you order the metal eject tabs from ebay and solder directly to it.
Wow, there is such a thing?! I didn't know, let me try searching for it.
But then again, this is supposed to be a simple mod, just wires n glue. I might wanna try the metal eject button one though.

Last edited by slslasher,
Reactions: wicksand420

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are called alloy buckle locks, I have to take my joycon apart tomorrow to replace the analog stick, I'll take some pictures of my mod and post them here when I'm done

slslasher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
They are called alloy buckle locks, I have to take my joycon apart tomorrow to replace the analog stick, I'll take some pictures of my mod and post them here when I'm done
Just googled, there are different colours too like rose gold. Did you solder yours too? If yes where did you route your wires?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: