1. Aszrael

Aszrael Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    great to here - I will do after I'll get my buckles s.t. end of July. Hope to have gotten a working SX Pro until then as I want to solder it internally.

Did you use capton tape for the isolation?

2. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Let us know how it goes!
    Used some https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_tape

3. dbcopter

dbcopter Member
    Newcomer

This is a doddle of a mod.
    Using ceramic coated wire (the best thin but tough wire I have ever used) I was free to route pretty much any way I wanted without any adjustments to the shell.

4. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used wire from an old USB charger lol.
    Had a few colors to choose from

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Holy fuck I just spent hours trying to attach the damn wire to the button mechanism. I give up, this mod is impossible. I tried copper tape first and that would have been easiest but it's not very sticky and there's no way it would last. Hot glue is too goopy and just coats the wire, it also hardens too quickly before I can get the wire into the correct position, and it takes forever to remove. I have some epoxy, but it says it shouldn't be used on certain plastics and I don't know what the JoyCon rail is made of, and it might still be too goopy and coat the wire and then be impossible to get off. I think I have to get one of those metal buckles and try soldering to it, because I'm not making any progress at all. It's just too small of a target because the wire has to be positioned in EXACTLY the right way, and has to be so rigidly attached that it won't move out of position (and "out of position" is just a 0.1mm difference)

Edit: Ordered up some metal buckles. Hopefully I'll be able to solder to those solder points, they are way smaller than anything I've soldered before.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

United States
    I was trying this on a friend's switch slightly drunk and almost sleeping at like 5am lol, the results were... BAD :)

1st I was trying to solder the cable to the metal plate and the solder doesn't hold on it, then I cut the wire too short and couldnt put it in the screw anymore, then I had something in my hand thought it was garbage throw it out of the door lol it was the smallest type of screw in silver and there was lot of grass, dirt thankfully we found it in like 2 minutes like WTF, then I had a spring in the tabble that I dont even know where it came from lol, the bigger back button has its 2 springs, the other also has its spring, the locking mechanism also has its spring, where the heck did that spring came from as I don't know any other place with a spring on the god damn controller:D.

Ended up doing it on another day, desoldered a button from a broken mouse he had and just drilled a hole near the rumble motor, glued it in place and its working :grog:.

Sadly now he doesnt have anything that could send the payload, his tablet has OTG support but after sending the payload the consoles just gets like frozen, it surely sends something as the console gets out of RCM mode, but it just stay black, have to maintain power button pressed for a few time until it shuts down. With my Sony Xperia Z2 is sends the payload good and the console launches SX OS and into emunand...

His old phone also doesnt even have OTG support and his newer phone could have worked but he broke its screen :(. Maybe if he wants I could try rooting the phone and adding OTG support in it, no idea if he wants it or not...

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  7. aeropic

aeropic Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Hi friends,
    New to the forum I just want to say thanks for this very clever "ejct button" joycon mod.
    I did it using 3mm wide adhesive copper foil ans some wrapping wires.
    Just cut a piece of foil, solder the extremity of one wire and wrap the foil around the plastic tip of the locker.
    Two other soderings at the connector level some clean routing (bend the extra length) et voilà !
    20190819_174926_resized.jpg 20190819_174941_resized.jpg 20190819_174949_resized.jpg 20190819_175000_resized.jpg

Many thanks

Attached Files:

t-bot and wicksand420 like this.
  8. ice_monk

ice_monk Newbie
    Newcomer

Thanks for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Joycon, button, switch