nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that's awesome...

i guess being mexican i have a different view on death but anyway, it's not like he murdered a baby for the skull. that skull has been in someone's collection for over 100 years. i find it to be more celebratory than indignant and it's quite beautiful.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*scribbles on a piece of A4 with a Sharpie*

I WANT RECOGNITION!
mad.gif

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Blaze163 said:
It's because of shit like this and the crucifix thing that we need a definition of art.
And who gets to set that definition? You, i suppose.

No, not me. I'm not really qualified to judge everything about art. All I know is that this is not it. I'd get together a group of people recognised by the majority as talented artists and ask them for their definitions of art, with the official definition being what they can agree on.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
And what happens if people make something which has been decreed to fall outside the officially mandated area of art, and yet display it in an art gallery and have it bought by an art collector, do they get thrown in jail? There always need to be some people making art which not everyone even thinks is art, Van Gogh was painting chairs when most people thought art was just portraits and landscapes, Warhol stuck up pictures of tins of soup, which many people thought made anyone who put up the adverts at local supermarkets an artist and Picasso was drawing women with two eyes on one side of their face, which people mocked for looking nothing like the subject. We have the 'are videogames art' debate about once a month. Perhaps, just perhaps, there isn't actually a hard and fast rule about what art is, considering you seem unable to even define it yourself, and you getting your knickers in a bunch and raging that someone dare have a different opinion of what art is, and create, view and buy works accordingly is a waste of your energy.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see the point of "modern art".

I saw a canvas of just splattered pink paint. That's it. I could have done the same thing, but it was going for 1,300 DOLLARS.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
I really don't see the point of "modern art".

I saw a canvas of just splattered pink paint. That's it. I could have done the same thing, but it was going for 1,300 DOLLARS.
Yeah. I'm considering getting and empty toilet roll, sticking it on a box and putting it up in an art gallery. Chances are, they'll accept it and I'll get rich.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
You could hollow out a melon, fill it with jiz from different guys and pass it off as art. Anything seems to 'qualify' nowadays. The 'artist' claims it to be an expression of emotion. Some murderers and rapists claim their crimes to be an expression of emotion but doub't they'd get a grant or be ableto sell their work

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
You could hollow out a melon, fill it with jiz from different guys and pass it off as art. Anything seems to 'qualify' nowadays. The 'artist' claims it to be an expression of emotion. Some murderers and rapists claim their crimes to be an expression of emotion but doub't they'd get a grant or be able to sell their work

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
You could hollow out a melon, fill it with jiz from different guys and pass it off as art. Anything seems to 'qualify' nowadays. The 'artist' claims it to be an expression of emotion. Some murderers and rapists claim their crimes to be an expression of emotion but doub't they'd get a grant or be ableto sell their work
But then again rapists and murderers are harming other people in the process.

Edit: Darn this computer and it's lack of a spell checker.

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
BobTheJoeBob said:
bazamuffin said:
But then again repists and murderers are harming other people in the process.

To a degree so is Damien Hurst by displaying a baby's skull encrustd with jewels. What about parents who have lost kids, and he is trying to make money off this bullshit.

D

Deleted_171835

This is plain retarded.
How is this considered art? It's a freaking skull with jewels. I could have done that. The jewels do make it one valuable skull, though.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
bazamuffin said:

To a degree so is Damien Hurst by displaying a baby's skull encrustd with jewels. What about parents who have lost kids, and he is trying to make money off this bullshit.
I'm not saying this guy's right. This guys a giant douche. It's just comparing artists to rapists and murderers is a little eccentric.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bazamuffin said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
bazamuffin said:

But nobody is forcing these bereaved parents to look at the blingin' baby skull whereas the victims of rapists and murderers have little choice in the matter. Yes, the skull is tasteless and crass but comparing Damien Hurst to a rapist/murderer is fucking stupid.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:

Sounds similar to the kind of outrage whenever there's a new game out "What about people who lost relatives in that war, what about the victims of car-jacking, what about people who've been killed by people in high speed police chases, how dare people make money off this stuff."

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
BobTheJoeBob said:
bazamuffin said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
bazamuffin said:

I'm not saying this guy's right. This guys a giant douche. It's just comparing artists to rapists and murderers is a little eccentric.

Giant douche is an understatement. Jewel encrusting a babys skull to express your emotion? He also cut a sheep nose to arse didn't he? I think this guy is a tad unhinged

Waytofind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
bazamuffin said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
bazamuffin said:

You might as well ban art as a whole with such a mind set. "You should't do it if it "hurts" people"

Art and most modern art is about provoking, making people think, make them question their beliefs. This piece does just that.

"What is life worth? Is life but worth money? Or is life actually worth a lot of money?" for example are question that you could ask yourself by looking at this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up