OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hirst_Skull_1799572c.jpg

Artist Damien Hirst offends bereaved parents by using baby's skull for 'disturbing' new work

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...g-new-work.html

Arguably one of the most pimped out baby skulls in recent history, X to the Z would be proud

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
And that's why art is bullshit.

Seriously though. I went to an art gallery a few years back and saw an entire wall dedicated to biro doodles, mostly of dogs. The sort of thing that you find in the back of any school text book. Being sold for thousands of pounds just because the guy had done some real work a few years back. Any job where you can sum up a day's effort with the words 'fuck it, that'll do' and still make a fortune is bullshit in my opinion. See also school dinnerladies, England's world cup performance, and my supervisor.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Damien Hirst has always been talentless, he is always looking for new ways to plunge lower to sell his garbage. I cant believe how much money he can continue to make just on shock value alone and that the rich still buy into it and lap this stuff up.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Art is treated as a commodity nowadays. People don't buy art because they think it's valuable. They buy art for social status. This is pretty fucked though. It's like that artist who put a crucifix in a glass of urine. It's terrible what people do for shock value.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
It's because of shit like this and the crucifix thing that we need a definition of art. People can do anything and call it art these days, making a fortune for about ten minutes of actual work. Because the term 'art' isn't exactly defined. Case and point, Blackout Crew are considered musicians
smile.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You know what, that's just retarded. It's not art, it's trolling.

nutella said:
Art is treated as a commodity nowadays. People don't buy art because they think it's valuable. They buy art for social status.
It's always been that way. Most works of art were done on commission, commissioned by rich people who wanted to flaunt their wealth by pimping their cribs (or mansions) with artsy stuff.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
There was a guy in the UK who got an art grant of around £20k (from what I remember), to kick a take-away curry carton up and down the high street.

The fuck is this shit?

angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
hate2.gif
angry.gif
unsure.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
moogle.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

See, we've become so decadant as a society that shit like this is allowed. And people wonder why terrorists have a problem with us. Now I'm not saying that they're right, or that they should do what they do...but I understand.

In all seriousness though. I'm a writer. I've been working on a novel for ages now, and I also run my own site for video game reviews, news, etc. Granted that's only just started up but still. I don't get jack shit for doing my best to hone my writing skills. OK, I'm not the new Steven King or anything, but at least what I do can be considered artistic in some fashion. It's not doing what pissed people do every Saturday night come rain or shine. These 'artists' try to justify this crap with bullshit like 'its a comment on modern society' or 'you can see the artists tortured soul throught he brushstrokes'. NO YOU FUCKING CAN'T. I make comments on society all the time. I'm not rich and famous. Artists these days are a bunch of idle scroungers who trick us with lies like that and sit back watching us gawp at something they threw together over a lunch hour. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were part of our royal family.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Blaze163 said:
bazamuffin said:
There was a guy in the UK who got an art grant of around £20k (from what I remember), to kick a take-away curry carton up and down the high street.

The fuck is this shit?

angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
hate2.gif
angry.gif
unsure.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
moogle.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

See, we've become so decadant as a society that shit like this is allowed. And people wonder why terrorists have a problem with us. Now I'm not saying that they're right, or that they should do what they do...but I understand.

In all seriousness though. I'm a writer. I've been working on a novel for ages now, and I also run my own site for video game reviews, news, etc. Granted that's only just started up but still. I don't get jack shit for doing my best to hone my writing skills. OK, I'm not the new Steven King or anything, but at least what I do can be considered artistic in some fashion. It's not doing what pissed people do every Saturday night come rain or shine. These 'artists' try to justify this crap with bullshit like 'its a comment on modern society' or 'you can see the artists tortured soul throught he brushstrokes'. NO YOU FUCKING CAN'T. I make comments on society all the time. I'm not rich and famous. Artists these days are a bunch of idle scroungers who trick us with lies like that and sit back watching us gawp at something they threw together over a lunch hour. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were part of our royal family.

WOAH!!! Shit fuck dude, you OK?

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not art, it's not interesting, it's not thoughtful, the only reason we're even talking about this is because this clown is trying really hard to be outrageous and get press so he can sell his art work because he has no talent. If you ignore this type of crap it will go away. The press should ignore and ostracize this hack and if they did this bum would be homeless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1