Japanese 3DS worth the hassle? (and other questions)

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same. I used Google translate via my iPhone camera to lessen the language frustration and in retrospect, I kinda enjoyed it.
yep pixhaxx but it was a pain in the ass
My understanding is that you need an email in order to make a NNID. How do you type your email in and stuff with the japanese keyboard? Also, what if you don't have another email to make an account with?

On the hacks website, I see that you can use unSAFE_MODE instead of PicHaxx. Is there any disadvantage to unSAFE_MODE?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that you need an email in order to make a NNID. How do you type your email in and stuff with the japanese keyboard? Also, what if you don't have another email to make an account with?

On the hacks website, I see that you can use unSAFE_MODE instead of PicHaxx. Is there any disadvantage to unSAFE_MODE?
The keyboard has three tabs…one of which that says “ABC”. B-)

Didnt consider unSAFE_MODE…just went by the book and it all worked great.

Deleted member 585915

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don’t know anything about unSAFE_MODE to be honest. I used a video to navigate the japanese eshop ui i’ll link it at the bottom. You can use a temporary mail service like temp mail etc to make the account I’m pretty sure. I used a gmail account I made specifically for stuff like this.

Side note, just last night I found out that extended memory games usually break after a region swap… because i was trying to play Pokémon ultra moon lol. It’s easily fixed by doing a system format but you will lose all installed cias. I would recommend not deleting the cias you downloaded during the guide, then region swapping, then formatting, and then reinstalling the cias you still want.

Video guide to help navigate japanese eshop:

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know anything about unSAFE_MODE to be honest. I used a video to navigate the japanese eshop ui i’ll link it at the bottom. You can use a temporary mail service like temp mail etc to make the account I’m pretty sure. I used a gmail account I made specifically for stuff like this.

Side note, just last night I found out that extended memory games usually break after a region swap… because i was trying to play Pokémon ultra moon lol. It’s easily fixed by doing a system format but you will lose all installed cias. I would recommend not deleting the cias you downloaded during the guide, then region swapping, then formatting, and then reinstalling the cias you still want.

Video guide to help navigate japanese eshop:

Thanks for the video! If/when I get a Japanese 3ds I'll definitely use it.

Also, I think that I won't region swap, because I can always do it later and the home menu is mostly icons. Thanks though!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the video! If/when I get a Japanese 3ds I'll definitely use it.

Also, I think that I won't region swap, because I can always do it later and the home menu is mostly icons. Thanks though!

So…

I followed this to copy my Sysnand into an on disk Emunand https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...d-using-it-with-a-region-changed-nand.490242/

There were some minor tweaks to the main Region Change docs https://3ds.hacks.guide/region-changing

I then initialized everything with this https://github.com/javimadgit/TinyFormat so my Sysnand and Emunand wouldn’t have the same movable.sed and NNID.

and…

It worked! I can now flip between US (emunand) and Japanese (sysnand) by holding down L during boot (or not)! I did lose e-shop access on my US version, but we all will at some point so I just went for it. As tough as the Japanese version looks I’m really likening being able;e to read everything. Hella cool.

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So…

I followed this to copy my Sysnand into an on disk Emunand https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...d-using-it-with-a-region-changed-nand.490242/

There were some minor tweaks to the main Region Change docs https://3ds.hacks.guide/region-changing

I then initialized everything with this https://github.com/javimadgit/TinyFormat so my Sysnand and Emunand wouldn’t have the same movable.sed and NNID.

and…

It worked! I can now flip between US (emunand) and Japanese (sysnand) by holding down L during boot (or not)! I did lose e-shop access on my US version, but we all will at some point so I just went for it. As tough as the Japanese version looks I’m really likening being able;e to read everything. Hella cool.
Yeah, I think I'll change the region. I'll just follow the 3ds.hacks.guide thing. So, about extended memory games: do the problems only happen with old 3DSes or do they also happen with New 3DSes?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think I'll change the region. I'll just follow the 3ds.hacks.guide thing. So, about extended memory games: do the problems only happen with old 3DSes or do they also happen with New 3DSes?
No experience as I only have a n3ds but that’s how I read it too.

Maybe someone else can chime in here?

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not OP but I just ordered a Japanese N3DS online based on all this information. I will let you guys know how everything goes in a month
I just ordered one! Did you get an LL or normal one? I got a red LL to match my burgundy DSi XL. Mine should come in about 2 weeks.

I really appreciate how Japanese 3DSes are generally cared for better than American ones; you can buy a like-new Japanese 3ds for less than a scratched up old US one.

Side note, just last night I found out that extended memory games usually break after a region swap… because i was trying to play Pokémon ultra moon lol.
Do you have a New 3DS or an original one? Do you know if this glitch happens with a New 3DS? Thanks.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just ordered one! Did you get an LL or normal one? I got a red LL to match my burgundy DSi XL. Mine should come in about 2 weeks.

I really appreciate how Japanese 3DSes are generally cared for better than American ones; you can buy a like-new Japanese 3ds for less than a scratched up old US one.

Do you have a New 3DS or an original one? Do you know if this glitch happens with a New 3DS? Thanks.
from the guide. there is this passage

Performing a region change may break extended memory mode games (Monster Hunter, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Sun/Moon) on Old 3DS/2DS devices. If this occurs, you will need to format the device (using TinyFormat or System Settings) to fix the issue.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/region-changing.html

so no, new type consoles wont be affected by that.

zbash92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Mine just arrived yesterday. The shipping was very fast for some reason. The condition was great except for in DS mode sound is very static noise heavy. Just an issue with the machine being used I guess.

Haven't done the region change but Luma3DS locale patching works so far (with LumaLocaleSwitcher).

Reactions: binkinator

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries at all. Yes, I’m in the US. I bought my LL on eBay from a guy in Japan. I purchased a US charger/cable just in case but the charger he sent had the standard 2 blade plug and it worked great. The US adapter I bought separately works great too so I got a backup. They can be had for < $10 if you’re want the insurance https://www.ebay.com/itm/383094468285
Hi again, so I just got my 3ds! It's great! There are some places on the outside where paint is chipped off but the screen and controls are pristine.

I noticed this image when I went to settings.

1647476461475.jpeg

I've never seen that little mario icon on my 2ds. Google Translate says that it's something about a badge. Is this related to the 3DS ambassador program or is it just a thing with Japanese 3dses

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi again, so I just got my 3ds! It's great! There are some places on the outside where paint is chipped off but the screen and controls are pristine.

I noticed this image when I went to settings.

View attachment 302049

I've never seen that little mario icon on my 2ds. Google Translate says that it's something about a badge. Is this related to the 3DS ambassador program or is it just a thing with Japanese 3dses
That mario one says.....Decorate with Badges.... You get that when you play the Badge arcade app. You can place those badges, which are made icons on the home menu and on folders to help with folder organizing, and just to make things look nice if you like them.

Mikmoomamimocki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That mario one says.....Decorate with Badges.... You get that when you play the Badge arcade app. You can place those badges, which are made icons on the home menu and on folders to help with folder organizing, and just to make things look nice if you like them.
Great! Thanks a million! I would have felt bad CFWing an ambassador 3ds and potentially breaking the ambassador functionality.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY