Japan To Get New Digimon Game

digimon survive.PNG

Titled Digimon Survive, this new Digimon game helmed by Bandai Namco is set to release in Japan on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 next year. A translation from the official website about the game reads the following:

A survival simulation RPG where boys and girls who get lost in another world must fight alongside monsters to survive extreme conditions and return to their own world.

The gameplay is apparently an amalgam of RPG battles and visual novel-styled story telling where the player's choices will influence the evolution of his/her Digimon and the story.

A few in-game screenshots have even been made available:

pr01_1_02_ss1_l.jpg

DigimonSurvive3.jpg DigimonSurvive1.jpg DigimonSurvive2.jpg pr01_1_02_ss2_l.jpg

A live-streamed Digimon event is scheduled for July 29 where more details about Digimon will be revealed.

Digimon Survive is set for a 2019 release in Japan but there has been no word on an international release.

:arrow: Digimon Survive Official Website

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
[...] completely shameless clone [...]

<rant>
If you are referring to the old "Digimon cloned Pokemon" thing, it's bs. Sure, they belong to the same "monster battle RPG" genre, but that's where the similarities end.

Digimon was inspired by Tamagotchi, which was already a thing by the time the Pokemon R/G came out in Japan.
It's always been "more creative" - Pokemon was a fairly bland RPG, containing the bare essentials of monster RPGs. You know how Gen 7 brought us the Islands? Well, that's most of the first Digimon game. Triple battles on Gen 6? That's the entire battle system of Digimon World 2, Savers and Cyber Sleuth (to be fair, it's very similar to the SMT battle system too).

Pokemon has always been more popular, probably because it has always been a Nintendo second-party game, so the target demographic is massive, but Digimon has always had better games (if you ignore certain translation mishaps).
</rant>

Between Kirby Star Allies and this game, the Switch is looking more and more attractive, except the average retail price where I live is about 700 USD... guess I'll just wait for Black Friday or something.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
<rant>
If you are referring to the old "Digimon cloned Pokemon" thing, it's bs. Sure, they belong to the same "monster battle RPG" genre, but that's where the similarities end.

Digimon was inspired by Tamagotchi, which was already a thing by the time the Pokemon R/G came out in Japan.
It's always been "more creative" - Pokemon was a fairly bland RPG, containing the bare essentials of monster RPGs. You know how Gen 7 brought us the Islands? Well, that's most of the first Digimon game. Triple battles on Gen 6? That's the entire battle system of Digimon World 2, Savers and Cyber Sleuth (to be fair, it's very similar to the SMT battle system too).

Pokemon has always been more popular, probably because it has always been a Nintendo second-party game, so the target demographic is massive, but Digimon has always had better games (if you ignore certain translation mishaps).
</rant>

Between Kirby Star Allies and this game, the Switch is looking more and more attractive, except the average retail price where I live is about 700 USD... guess I'll just wait for Black Friday or something.
digimon failed on marketing parts....

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
digimon failed on marketing parts....
That seems to be a common issue with Bamco (Klonoa, etc).

It's always been a really niche series but I really like the effort they put into giving the games a proper story, even if it doesn't always go according to plan.

I blame the digirap, though.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
<rant>

</rant>

well double battle and triple battles on rpg games since the nes tough...

digimon never had any better games lol unless its your own opinion because rating wise digimon games sucks big time the best digimon rating score on metacritic is 75 and its a ps4 game...

http://www.metacritic.com/search/game/digimon/results?sort=score&page=0

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pokemon gets a themed crossover game in a series that has been going since 1983? Radical.
cmon pokemon has loads of spinoffs not all are crossover but you cant even debate pokemon spin offs...

pokemon pinbal
pokemon snap
pokemon conquest
pokemon mystery dungeon series
pokemon ranger series
pokemon puzzle league
pokemon picross
pokemon detetive pikachu
pokemon rumble series
pokemon dash
smash bros series also counts as a pokemon crossover
pokken

and i probably missed many more lol.

Reactions: Varia

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Pokemon gets a themed crossover game in a series that has been going since 1983? Radical.

Dude, u just slammed Pokemon for being less creative when Pokemon already did exactly the same kind of game lol.
Also Pokemon started at 1995.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything has a pinball themed game (see something like Sonic pinball). Everything has a themed racing game sooner or later (which takes care of dash, not that most would thank you for bringing that one up). Everything gets a themed puzzle game sooner or later and a guest spot in a fighting game is not really too new either. Furthermore most of those can't exactly be said to take the core conceit of pokemon and run with it in a different manner (and survival simulation/choices novel type game like the OP for this mentions is fairly radical as these things go). While I will give that I did not necessarily see the detective one coming (mind you it is a fairly common thing in anime circles and I imagine you could probably find an episode of the pokemon anime* with a similar enough theme), though being a 2018 game I could probably point at all the Telltale games released over the years (when Minecraft Telltale dropped in 2015 to do what it did then yeah).

*the whole thing pokemon did with the cartoon reinforcing the game was marketing genius but that is a different discussion.

Dude, u just slammed pokemon for being less creative when Pokemon already did exactly the same kind of game lol.
Also Pokemon started at 1995.

Pokemon did a visual novel esque survival sim? Where did that one happen?

People seem quite flustered at the little joke that pokemon has not changed/evolved (hah) with the times. I am not entirely sure why. I thought it was a generally accepted fact that pokemon spawned a load of clones (most of the GBA ones being better at the gameplay style for my money) and has subsequently not really changed in the following decades.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Everything has a pinball themed game (see something like Sonic pinball). Everything has a themed racing game sooner or later (which takes care of dash, not that most would thank you for bringing that one up). Everything gets a themed puzzle game sooner or later and a guest spot in a fighting game is not really too new either. Furthermore most of those can't exactly be said to take the core conceit of pokemon and run with it in a different manner (and survival simulation/choices novel type game like the OP for this mentions is fairly radical as these things go). While I will give that I did not necessarily see the detective one coming (mind you it is a fairly common thing in anime circles and I imagine you could probably find an episode of the pokemon anime* with a similar enough theme), though being a 2018 game I could probably point at all the Telltale games released over the years (when Minecraft Telltale dropped in 2015 to do what it did then yeah).

*the whole thing pokemon did with the cartoon reinforcing the game was marketing genius but that is a different discussion.

Pokemon did a visual novel esque survival sim? Where did that one happen?

People seem quite flustered at the little joke that pokemon has not changed/evolved (hah) with the times. I am not entirely sure why. I thought it was a generally accepted fact that pokemon spawned a load of clones (most of the GBA ones being better at the gameplay style for my money) and has subsequently not really changed in the following decades.
core games haven't changed much but digimon doesn't even have cores games because it keeps searching for its own identity, you got different series that play diffidently or even inside same series games don't even know what they are trying to be, also digimon games usualy suck and are panned from critics and gamers alike.

pokemon ranger are really diferent games but you still have the all rpg and catching them all type of series.

Same way for mystery dungeon which is a dungeon crawler.

Rumble series is kinda a simplified real time battle pokemon game too.

Alsp Pokken is an atual pokemon fighting game and not a guest type of fighting game, they arent guests, there is no other ip involved.

you also got pokemon go yet another diferent way to play(even tough i dislike it tbh)

I just remenbered yet another seires, pokepark series wich is kinda of a party pokemon game where you collect pokemon identity cards so you can use said pokemon on the minigames and such.

so yeah pokemon did alot of experimenting really you cant say they just kept the core games and did nothing else, there are more spin offs than core games in existence.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am reminded yet again that the west never gets these Digimon games.

It almost makes you want to go full weeb and learn Japanese to play these games.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I hope they do a Digimon World esque game again some time. Not really interested in this one. Not that it matters because i likely won't get an english version.

Reactions: x65943

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
I literally started taking Japanese lessons for games that don't get localized. this better have an English version lol.
Very excited though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-