Jammed SD card slot?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Techie8, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Techie8
    OP

Techie8 GBATemp Art Fuck

Oct 13, 2013
    United States
    I've recently purchased a working original Wii secondhand for homebrew and emulation. Everything works great except the SD card slot. It reads my card fine, but the card doesn't pop out when pushed in, it ends up stuck in there and I have to pull it out with pliers. I took off the front of the casing to see what I can do and now when I insert the card it slowly slides out after being inserted. I'm thinking bad springs but it really gets stuck when I put it in there and I have to pull hard to get it out. Do any of you know what I could do?

2. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    It sounds like something was spilled in there and gunked up the spring mechanism. It's not a very complicated mechanism, but if there is dirt in the way, it won't work. If you can take the Wii apart, you could try to clean it out by dowsing it with isopropyl alcohol. You could also just use a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol to clean it from the outside, but that probably won't help very much.

If you can't fix it, I suggest using a microSD to SD adapter and leaving the adapter in there so that you can just remove the microSD card when needed.

Techie8 likes this.
  3. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It sounds like a label stuck in it honestly. :)

Techie8 likes this.
  4. Techie8
    OP

Techie8 GBATemp Art Fuck

Oct 13, 2013
    United States
    I've figured it out, the slot's hole is for some reason slightly lower than the actual reader inside, and the top scrapes against the plastic. I made the hole slightly taller and now it works fine after a little bit of use. Thanks for the help!

GreyWolf likes this.