KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country

James Cameron expresses his belief that the video game industry will be a driving force in the adoption of in-home 3D displays and hints at a future Avatar MMORPG in 3D.​
We were just talking about Avatar filmmaker James Cameron yesterday, following his reported purchase of 50 Red Epic-M cameras, hopefully for the upcoming two follow-ups to his 2009 smash hit. He’s also recently established a company with Vince Pace, who modified the 3D Fusion Camera system used to capture Avatar‘s 3D. At the formal unveiling of the Cameron-Pace Group earlier this month, Cameron expressed his belief that games will be the driving force in 3D being adopted for home use.

“Videogames are going to be the drivers, but they haven’t done so today because the cycle creation has lagged behind,” he said, according to Yahoo!’s PluggedIn. “The consumer electronics companies introduced these screens last year, so we’re a year into this and it takes 18 months to two years to author a high quality video game. So you’re going to see a stampede of video games and then that, in turn, is just going to catalyze more broad scale adoption in the home of these big 3D screens.”

Part of the in-home adoption will involve another shift in the technology, toward a glasses-free experience, Cameron believes. “Video games are going to help propel the autostereoscopic (glasses free) play because that’s going to be the entry level for most people,” he said. “These single-viewing devices that are engaging the person to play these video games will drive a lot of investment in autostereoscopic displays for that very reason. That technology will trickle up to the larger 3D displays that will be used for home viewing and gaming.”

Nintendo‘s recently released 3DS portable gaming device employs the autostereoscopic tech that Cameron mentioned. It’s not perfect– your viewing angle needs to be dead on and the device needs to be held steady in order to maintain that effect. It’s a first step though; an upcoming Toshiba laptop offers a simultaneous 2D and 3D display without the need for glasses, using a built-in camera and face sensor to automatically maintain the 3D effect.

Cameron has only made minor movements so far in the video game space, with Avatar: The Game. While the Ubisoft-published release fell short in a number of ways, it also got a few things right, particularly in the way it told a story that stood apart from the movie. Cameron mentioned that he hopes we haven’t seen the last of Avatar in the video game space, and that he’s got plans in that direction moving forward.

“I’d love to do an MMORPG experience inside the Avatar universe and I would like to see it authored in 3D,” he said. “I’d like to see people doing gameplay in 3D, so that’s something that we’re looking to do. But we’re not active on that yet.”[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Seems comforting to 3DS fans that James Cameron approves of their 3D usage, and that he also hopes that they will use it in the future. I for one feel mildly indifferent to the whole 3D fad.

jerome27

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you watch Avatar without the 3D its one of the worst movies ever made. Its laughibly bad. Its Mystery Science Theater bad.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
jerome27 said:
When you watch Avatar without the 3D its one of the worst movies ever made. Its laughibly bad. Its Mystery Science Theater bad.

Don't agree. Avatar has a decent plot and good message, even though it's quite cliched. The plot is consistent enough to survive the extremely long runtime. The visuals are excellent, with or without 3D. (but with is better)

However, I had no doubt at all that it would lose at the Oscars. I damn loved seeing him lose to his ex-wife.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
KingdomBlade said:
jerome27 said:

Don't agree. Avatar has a decent plot and good message
wonder where they got the idea from eh?

pocahontas-movie-poster.jpg

bot can i get in line now NOT to play this?!

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
KingdomBlade said:
jerome27 said:

Don't agree. Avatar has a decent plot and good message

wonder where they got the idea from eh?

pocahontas-movie-poster.jpg

bot can i get in line now NOT to play this?!
Derivative doesn't mean bad. I'm very well aware that Avatar derived it's ideas from, NOT POCAHONTAS, but Dances With Wolves. The plot shares more with Dances With Wolves than Pocahontas, however, even though the plot is derived Cameron still made it work decently in a science fiction setting. Even Cameron said so himself.

There’s also maybe some heritage linking it to “Dances With Wolves,” considering your story here of a battered military man who finds something pure in an endangered tribal culture.

James Cameron: Yes, exactly, it is very much like that. You see the same theme in “At Play in the Fields of the Lord” and also “The Emerald Forest,” which maybe thematically isn’t that connected but it did have that clash of civilizations or of cultures. That was another reference point for me. There was some beautiful stuff in that film. I just gathered all this stuff in and then you look at it through the lens of science fiction and it comes out looking very different but is still recognizable in a universal story way.

On Topic - Making a game that's all glam and shiny graphics won't last for very long when everyone starts getting eye sores.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
James Cameron's been getting wet over 3D ever since Avatar made a bagillion dollars and realized people are willing to charge quite a few more bucks for a 3D movie over a regular movie.

Really though, Avatar is exactly what's wrong with 3D in film. Using special effects and the 3D effect to attempt to compensate for poor plot and characters. Not to say that Avatar wasn't fun to watch, it was basically just 2 hours of wallpaper.

I don't think 3D will receive wide enough recognition (in films and in games) until its proven to be more than just a gimmick. How that'll happen, I don't know.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Guild McCommunist said:
James Cameron's been getting wet over 3D ever since Avatar made a bagillion dollars and realized people are willing to charge quite a few more bucks for a 3D movie over a regular movie.

Really though, Avatar is exactly what's wrong with 3D in film. Using special effects and the 3D effect to attempt to compensate for poor plot and characters. Not to say that Avatar wasn't fun to watch, it was basically just 2 hours of wallpaper.

I don't think 3D will receive wide enough recognition (in films and in games) until its proven to be more than just a gimmick. How that'll happen, I don't know.

Obviously 3D didn't recieve recognition yet, seeing that 3D cinemas are popping up like mushrooms after heavy rain all around the world and it's been like this for years now. Oh wait. That's proving an exactly opposite point.

As far as games are concerned 3D will eventually get more popular when the hardware gets *cheaper* and when you won't be forced to look like Geordie La Forge while you're using it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Obviously 3D didn't recieve recognition yet, seeing that 3D cinemas are popping up like mushrooms after heavy rain all around the world and it's been like this for years now. Oh wait. That's proving an exactly opposite point.

It's only "popular" because companies can run a movie through a cheap 3D process and charge you more for a movie. The fact is that most of the 3D films are usually just action flicks or kid's movies. There's been no real Oscar sweeper film in 3D yet.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think movies will be more of a driving force than games. Many new movies are widely advertised as being 3D combo packs. Other than the 3ds, many games have the option, but it is not as widely advertised. I have the avatar game for xbox which can be played in 3D, but I can't afford a 3D tv. I have to say, why not release 3ds avatar game?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
It's only "popular" because companies can run a movie through a cheap 3D process and charge you more for a movie. The fact is that most of the 3D films are usually just action flicks or kid's movies. There's been no real Oscar sweeper film in 3D yet.
I think it popular, it just for some reason doesn't appeal to you.

Yes, it may be true that some companies can put out a movie through a cheap 3D process and charge more for a movie, but it only possible
if people are really appealing to 3D. If people wasn't liking 3D it wouldn't be as many 3D movies because it just be a waste of time.

It isn't poof here a 3D movie now people love 3D. It more people who like 3D therefor more 3D movies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson