"Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds, taking 50% salary cut

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Personally, this price cut entices me into getting a 3DS. Although if I know Swedish retail well, they'll "forget" the whole price slash and keep selling it overpriced (for being Europe, that is)...
dry.gif

Also, people are giving this WAY too much attention. The Original DS was much the same way, in the sense that there weren't great titles for a long time. I can't even recall playing my DS during 5th and 6th grade very much because of its low amount of interesting titles at the time.

EVERYONE: CALM DOWN YO TITAYS! When it comes to Nintendo, remember: Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rt141 said:
Well, this is a smart move, it improves the company image and will hopefully raise their stock even with the losses they are havng they still have enough to make it trough untill awesome things launch for the 3ds, the last good games of the wii and the wii-u, still its nice to see someone actually take responsability for something.
I don't see why it'd do either of those things. The former is unlikely because it's rather normal for the Japanese to do so. The latter..I don't understand why you think that would happen.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
KingVamp said:
Mario Party 9 should have be a 3DS title...
That wouldn't make sense. They already made a MP DS, making MP 9 for the 3DS wouldn't work.

what they should do is make Mario party 9 (the sequil to Mario party 8 wii) on wii u
then Mario party 3ds (sequil mario party DS) on 3ds

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many people are so caring for Iwata here, aren't they?

Taking a 50% salary cut is never a good thing, and everyone here just blames him even more. Ouch.

I respect what he did, and what Nintendo is doing is bringing themselves back on path. By Christmas, they'll be themselves again. It just seems like the 3DS is repeating the DS's first year.

_elf_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ace Faith said:
Personally, this price cut entices me into getting a 3DS. Although if I know Swedish retail well, they'll "forget" the whole price slash and keep selling it overpriced (for being Europe, that is)...
dry.gif

Also, people are giving this WAY too much attention. The Original DS was much the same way, in the sense that there weren't great titles for a long time. I can't even recall playing my DS during 5th and 6th grade very much because of its low amount of interesting titles at the time.

EVERYONE: CALM DOWN YO TITAYS! When it comes to Nintendo, remember: Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

They always did get okay in the end. I hope they do the same thing this time
mellow.gif
Or else....We will have to give some extra cash to them to get back on their feet
rofl.gif
But no big deal... They will manage it
smileipb2.png

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
hova1 said:
I blame it on the software lineup. Not a single Mario game on launch is bad. This should always be the most important thing on a Nintendo system at launch. No real Pokemon yet. They need a full Monster Hunter in order to be relevant in Japan.
They should've paid Capcom big money for Monster Hunter exclusivity.
I also can't help but think that if they had a second analog nub and a high budget CoD it would be the most popular thing for 12 year olds.

sounds like a Sony gnome. trowing that if it had a 2nd analog that make of better & throwing a prepubed age on it. I'm 20 not 12.

I'm not complaining about it now having 2nd analog. that's what the touch screen, accelerometer, gyro sensor for. also have you played the resident evil reviations demo. they have an awesome 2nd analog alternative. I like the way the 2nd analge is on the right side of the touch screen.
call of duty could use that in 3ds, can also just use the controls from metroid DS & the call of duty DS games . or I'm sure theyll figure it out.

what kinda controls I see for cod 3ds
c-pad= walk & rotate cam.
d-pad= change weapons (up & down).
d-pad= change grenades (left & right)
L = grenade
touch screen c-pad = aiming. (like on resident evil revilations demo)
R = shoot
aim & use dpad (up & down) to zoom like if useing sniper rifle.
Y = crouch & dive
X = knife
A = run
B = other actions can't think of right now.

& there's the accelerometer & gyro sensor for controller like the missile camera thingy from black ops & modern warfare 2 & the RC cars. & possible use to do some things like they would on wii versions of call of duty.

also call of duty isn't really Nintendos call. its the company that made it. & they made every call of duty for DS last Gen. now that 3fs is out on sure they'll make one for 3ds now with all its improvements.

I'm hopeing they allow more alternative functions tho. like excite trucks wii you could play your music from SD card while playing games. after that no other games used that.
frown.gif

I want that feature on wii u games & 3ds games.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone here who thinks less of Iwata or Nintendo for his 50% salary cut has just lost 10 points of respect in my eyes. Not only does this confirm that Nintendo recognizes a problem, but their first step to fix it is to cut a CEO's salary by 50%. I don't care if he does have a big pay check, 50% is huge and significant. Iwata is indeed taking a big hit on his personal life. This just confirms that they actively look for and solve problems.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
Everyone here who thinks less of Iwata or Nintendo for his 50% salary cut has just lost 10 points of respect in my eyes. Not only does this confirm that Nintendo recognizes a problem, but their first step to fix it is to cut a CEO's salary by 50%. I don't care if he does have a big pay check, 50% is huge and significant. Iwata is indeed taking a big hit on his personal life. This just confirms that they actively look for and solve problems.

This.

Take a look at it from a different perspective. A "company" consist of many, many people. When less money ends up flowing into the company than before, who is going to take the hit? From what I've seen during these economic times, I've seen more and more employees getting laid off, yet no real change happening to the higher-ups even if the higher-ups make the mistakes. I believe Iwata is taking into account the first rule of leadership. Anyone remember what that rule is? No matter who makes the mistake, the fault lies on the leader, and I see him taking the responsibility of this situation by cutting his own salary. Whether anyone believes he is doing this because he cares, he's doing it nonetheless by his own accord, and that says something about his character in my mind.

Velotix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Woah....Just...Woah...

I was honestly expecting them to lay off dudes instead of slashing their own pay, by quite a decent amount! Damn... Just Damn. Big respect to them man. And the price drop means I can actually afford a 3DS!! Woo!

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
Question is did he actually take hit from his paycheck? Or did he just say so in front of the public eyes. You can't say that for sure now can you?

Either way, a salary cut will not bring up 3DS sales. To me this is a stupid announcement/decision. Now is not the time to find who's fault it is.

To me what Iwata should be doing is lowering 3DS price (he did), bring up more 3DS games, aggressively marketing 3DS (he has yet to do), and more.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Question is did he actually take hit from his paycheck? Or did he just say so in front of the public eyes. You can't say that for sure now can you?

Either way, a salary cut will not bring up 3DS sales.

You gotta ask yourself one question then. Is Iwata an honest person?

The salary cut may not affect 3DS sales, but it certainly will affect the company.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
t377y000 said:
hova1 said:
I blame it on the software lineup. Not a single Mario game on launch is bad. This should always be the most important thing on a Nintendo system at launch. No real Pokemon yet. They need a full Monster Hunter in order to be relevant in Japan.
They should've paid Capcom big money for Monster Hunter exclusivity.
I also can't help but think that if they had a second analog nub and a high budget CoD it would be the most popular thing for 12 year olds.

sounds like a Sony gnome. trowing that if it had a 2nd analog that make of better & throwing a prepubed age on it. I'm 20 not 12.

I'm not complaining about it now having 2nd analog. that's what the touch screen, accelerometer, gyro sensor for. also have you played the resident evil reviations demo. they have an awesome 2nd analog alternative. I like the way the 2nd analge is on the right side of the touch screen.
call of duty could use that in 3ds, can also just use the controls from metroid DS & the call of duty DS games . or I'm sure theyll figure it out.

what kinda controls I see for cod 3ds
c-pad= walk & rotate cam.
d-pad= change weapons (up & down).
d-pad= change grenades (left & right)
L = grenade
touch screen c-pad = aiming. (like on resident evil revilations demo)
R = shoot
aim & use dpad (up & down) to zoom like if useing sniper rifle.
Y = crouch & dive
X = knife
A = run
B = other actions can't think of right now.

& there's the accelerometer & gyro sensor for controller like the missile camera thingy from black ops & modern warfare 2 & the RC cars. & possible use to do some things like they would on wii versions of call of duty.

also call of duty isn't really Nintendos call. its the company that made it. & they made every call of duty for DS last Gen. now that 3fs is out on sure they'll make one for 3ds now with all its improvements.

I'm hopeing they allow more alternative functions tho. like excite trucks wii you could play your music from SD card while playing games. after that no other games used that.
frown.gif

I want that feature on wii u games & 3ds games.
Kinda of shitty controls. That's exactly why games designed for dual nubs on PSP plays so bad. You have to use the claw:

PSP_Claw.jpg

Shit is bad as you see. The action in CoD series is fast paced, you don't have time to aim with a d-pad. The best alternative is tu use the touch to aim, just like the DS FPS games, but then you limit yourself to the c-pad, the d-pad, and L button. All the other actions you can't think will be on the screen.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
DiscostewSM said:
You gotta ask yourself one question then. Is Iwata an honest person?
Who knows? Can go either way.
rolleyes.gif

Well, it'll be easier to do research on prior statements/dealings than to expect them to reveal current company paycheck numbers. If someone is determined to find out an answer, then they should go looking for it instead of making assumptions.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Sterling said:

Either way, a salary cut will not bring up 3DS sales. To me this is a stupid announcement/decision. Now is not the time to find who's fault it is.

To me what Iwata should be doing is lowering 3DS price (he did), bring up more 3DS games, aggressively marketing 3DS (he has yet to do), and more.
You know, instead of needless throwing doubt upon a wealthy CEO's sincere and straight forward statements with shitty assumptions, you could go find some evidence to back up your statements before you open up your type. Seriously, I'm only going off the statements given, and my knowledge and experience with his personality and sincereity. Neither of which give me reason to doubt the validity of his honesty. We all know that his cut won't bring up sales. All this will do, is confirm with the public that they indeed know there is a problem, and this problem is important enough for a CEO to halve his yearly income. The next steps come very soon.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
You know, instead of needless throwing doubt upon a wealthy CEO's sincere and straight forward statements with shitty assumptions, you could go find some evidence to back up your statements before you open up your type.
Since when did sincere and straight forward constituted a proof? That's your own personal opinion. I'm merely expressing my opinion I doubted his statement, no need to call my assumption shitty (or keep that thought to yourselves). Sorry because I don't take people's word like the truth.

Sigh...............

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Feels Good Man said:
Dangy said:
What does it mean by "taking responsibility for"? I don't think the 3DS has failed yet.

The less than stellar sales of the 3DS thus far.

I think the timing is just wrong. A spring release made no sense really, and as we have seen thus far, the quantity as well as the quality of games has been poor in the launch window. Had Nintendo waited until the fall when there were going to be more games available, they could have launched the 3DS with all the infrastructure in place for things like the Netflix and Nintendo Video services as well as the eShop which would have more games available right at launch as well.

I feel that the major short comings of the 3DS were much like the DS at launch time. If I recall correctly, Nintendo only had a few big name titles like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Advanced Wars: Dual Strike in that window, along with that terrible Metroid Prime Hunters demo that was packaged with it. That said, having zero big name first party titles available on day one is a problem and the reason was the 3DS has struggled. I think if they had waited until Star Fox was ready, they would have had two polished 1st party titles along with some quality 3rd party games available. As we have seen the DS still has plenty of life left in it as well as development support.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sterling said:

It's unfortunate that American corporations don't have the same attitude. If companies like Ford and GM had realized they were getting slaughtered by Japanese and European automakers in their own territory as well as world wide from both a cost and quality perspective, they should have fired all of their CEO's and executives or cut their salary until they accepted the reality that they were going under. Probably would have avoided the need for bail outs.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
trumpet-205 said:
Sorry because I don't take people's word like the truth.

I would agree with you on that, but only if it was someone I knew nothing about, or if that someone has continually been false or has done wrong in the past that hasn't tried correcting their mistakes.
As I said, Iwata has given no reason not to take his word as the truth. No reason at all to call him a liar. If you want me to mistrust Mr. Iwata, Trumpet-205, you'll have to find a reason and post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?