Homebrew I've successfully hacked my 3DS, but I have newbie questions regarding future updates.

Icirrus

Trophies
XP
Country
I've followed the guide twice through already with an old 3DS as well as n3DS, but I did not have any data on either and the installation went just fine. Is the backup process included in the regular guide or do I have to take extra steps?
It's included. DO NOT SKIP IT. trust me I learnt the hard way

IggyJet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've followed the guide twice through already with an old 3DS as well as n3DS, but I did not have any data on either and the installation went just fine. Is the backup process included in the regular guide or do I have to take extra steps?
Yes it is included. There are warning boxes throughout the tutorial (towards the last steps, basically) where they tell you that if you skip such step you'll lose the data, and they also recommend that you backup certain files on your computer and stuff. If you follow every single step in the tutorial, the backups/restores will be included and no data will be lost, really. And even if you do happen to lose something, some of the things might be recoverable from the SD backup you might wanna do before starting the hacking.

Avacado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is included. There are warning boxes throughout the tutorial (towards the last steps, basically) where they tell you that if you skip such step you'll lose the data, and they also recommend that you backup certain files on your computer and stuff. If you follow every single step in the tutorial, the backups/restores will be included and no data will be lost, really. And even if you do happen to lose something, some of the things might be recoverable from the SD backup you might wanna do before starting the hacking.

Thanks to the both of you! I'll start the process right now!

Reactions: Icirrus

IggyJet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks to the both of you! I'll start the process right now!
No problem, just read everything carefully and don't rush and you'll be fine and your data will be safe. I'm a rookie myself and it all went smooth, I was actually quite surprised I didn't lose anything. Good luck! =)

Reactions: slaphappygamer

IggyJet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What do you mean by hide titles? Like what do you hide titles from? Activity log or something else? How do I turn it on?
Go to Friends -> Settings, tap on the first option (I forgot what it's called, I don't have my 3DS at hand) and then go to the option to hide from friends what you're playing, you can also prevent friends from seeing you online.

Avacado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask me if you got any questions that the guide doesn't address and I'll happily help you out

So I've encountered an issue that didn't happen with the last two 3DS's. When I run soundhax my 3DS freezes when the touchscreen is red. I do have a 64 GB microsd card if that affects the process.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've encountered an issue that didn't happen with the last two 3DS's. When I run soundhax my 3DS freezes when the touchscreen is red. I do have a 64 GB microsd card if that affects the process.
Make sure your otherapp.bin is correct and boot 3dsx is on the root.

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
boot.3dsx may be corrupt try replacing it then relaunch

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey I just realized this just now but wouldn't your online friends see that you're using the freeshop? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever you go online, can't you see what app/game your friends are playing? So they can see you. Is there any consequences to that? Can that somehow lead to a ban?

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey I just realized this just now but wouldn't your online friends see that you're using the freeshop? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever you go online, can't you see what app/game your friends are playing? So they can see you. Is there any consequences to that? Can that somehow lead to a ban?
In my experience, if you're playing a homebrew app, friends without CFW will just see "Could not receive this software's title" as your Now Playing title. At any rate, no, it will not lead to a ban.

Reactions: mario-lucis-caelum

Avacado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure your otherapp.bin is correct and boot 3dsx is on the root.
Well I copied the starter folder to my root instead of its contents lol oops. but I managed to enter the home-brew launcher and launch fasthax, BUT I get red screened once I hit start to reset

Last edited by Avacado,

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, if you're playing a homebrew app, friends without CFW will just see "Could not receive this software's title" as your Now Playing title. At any rate, no, it will not lead to a ban.
i had someone get banned from online services for having freeshop as their favorite, but yea basically when a title is loaded it searches the titleid then finds the corresponding smdh so unless they have freeshop they wont see it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well I copied the starter folder to my root instead of its contents lol oops. but I managed to enter the home-brew launcher and launch fasthax, BUT I get red screened once I hit start to reset
what device?

Avacado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had someone get banned from online services for having freeshop as their favorite, but yea basically when a title is loaded it searches the titleid then finds the corresponding smdh so unless they have freeshop they wont see it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what device?
n3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, that gave me a MMI error
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm just tired of all the useless windows updates that keeps bogging my pc down whenever i wanna use it, useless AI crap
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    MS advertising win10 as the last OS we'll ever need ,such horseshit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Windows 11 is just horseshit in general.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    CoPilot is the new Bonzi Buddy, 20 years later after it was shutdown by several lawsuits.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're gonna love it when they stop supporting win10
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I saw the announcement.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's all just junk to me, i just wanna use my pc in peace, not to be told shit by some AI
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They said that they will also discontinue support for Windows 7, of which I thought they'd already done so.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get use to Linux then
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it