United States
Ok, first I'll post the specs to my pc.

HP a6700y (my model)
amd 1.8ghz quad core phenom
4gb ram
500gb hd
650w power supply
galaxy geforce 9800gt 512mb ddr3

Here's my issue. I play this game, Americas Army. It's a first person shooter and there's a new version out (3). I played 2 and with my onboard graphics I got around 30fps. This is why I decided to buy a gpu. I knew when 3 released my pc wouldn't be able to hang with it. Well, bought and installed the psu and gpu. Only owned for 3 days. My framerate increased, but after about a day I noticed that it spikes a lot. It will go from 30-60fps (in either version) and I've read that people get 100fps on COD 4 with this graphics card. Both of these games run off the unreal engine, the newest running off of the unreal 3 engine. I know that COD4 is more graphically weighted if you will than both of these games. So I was wondering if this could be something wrong with the graphics card or possibly something else. I've used the newest drivers, and still no progress. I've closed up backround tasks to free up ram, still no increase. I've already had Galaxy send me the RMA form via email just in case it's broken or malfunctioning. The reason this started is my buddy (clan member) bought a pny 9800gt and he told me the specs on mine look better but he is getting a better frame rate. I even added an extra case fan to my pc just to keep it that much cooler (although it never reaches above 59 degrees celcius without it). When I was playing earlier someone mentioned they had the same issue with theirs (9800gt)and said they bought a new processor and the fps went from 3-30 to never dropping below 90 on Americas Army 2. So I considered that the cpu could be bottlenecking my system. I know it's not the fastest, but for AA3 the recommended is a dual or quad 2.4 . Well I called HP and tried to get the processors capable of going in my mobo. It's an AM2+ socket, but they told me that the wattage of the cpu doesn't matter, as long as it's AM2+ socket type. Now on their web support site it says the board can handle this....I'll post a link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...269&lang=en

So I'm not sure to go from what they say or the site, but here's a processor that I've been looking at.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103678

So I basically have a few questions to sum this up....
1. Could there be anything that I missed that's lowering my fps in game?
2. Could the processor be what's lowering the fps in game as I was told earlier today?
3. Does the wattage really matter for the motherboard if the sockets match up when it comes to processors? (I question how it can hold a phenom up to 95w, but only an Athlon X2 up to 89w)
4. If you were in this situation what would you do, because I don't wanna be without a graphics card for a month or so if I don't have to?

I pretty much think that's it, I appreciate you all reading this, I'm just tired of the headaches with this, and instead of bashing my skull numerous times into the wall trying to figure this out, I've decided to swallow my pride and ask for help. HPs support sucks ass, and I don't really know where else to turn. I'm almost to the point of selling my blood to buy a new mobo too so I won't have to dial that damn HP number again. If you know of any good processors in the instance that I can't use the one listed above, feel free to link them or name em and I'll do the shopping on my own. Thanks again.

pm_41

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow...Huge post...
tongue.gif

If you want to increase FPS, quit out of anything you don't need. (Check your system tray!) Also, try typing in msconfig into the Run box, click on Startup, and uncheck anything that you don't need and reboot.
smile.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would guess it's your CPU. I'm not sure how well the unreal engine optimizes with multiple cores, but I highly doubt it can do anything more with a quad core then it can with a dual core. If the unreal engine doesn't optimize usage of the second core, then yes, it is most definitely your CPU dragging you down. I really don't see why people buy quad cores unless they edit video or play GTAIV regularly.

zkamuiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Install drivers, from both the PNY website, and Nvidia website.
You may also want to try and overclock both the video card and the processor, to gain performance boosts, however this is not necessary, and may drain the lifetime of both parts as well as void your warranty.
I am unsure that if your processor bottlenecks your video card badly, but however it shouldn't although it runs at 1.8Ghz, if you plan on buying a new processor then overclock your processor as a last ditch attempt to prevent bottleneck.
If you plan on purchasing a new processor, I recommend the Athlon II X2 550 for dual core, or Phenom II X3 720, although they're AM3 socket, they should work with AM2+ chipsets, therefore saving you the money of switching motherboards.
Also note that your 650 watt power supply is way more than you need, therefore you're wasting money on higher electricity bills, and I hope it isn't a cheap brand because it may short out in the future if you put too much load on it.

I'll answer your last question just for future references.
First of all I wouldn't be in your situation because, the 9800GT is an overpriced card and you can get way better performance with an ATI 4850 for similar price.
I would get as much money back from the 9800GT and 650 watt power supply, either buy selling or refunding. Then purchase an ATI 4870/Nvidia GTX 260 c216, and a 500-550 watts good brand power supply such as Corsair or Seasonic, as well as purchase either the Athlon II X2 550/Phenom II X3 720.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zkamuiz said:
Also note that your 650 watt power supply is way more than you need, therefore you're wasting money on higher electricity bills, and I hope it isn't a cheap brand because it may short out in the future if you put too much load on it.

The initial cost of the power supply may have been a waste of money, but you won't be wasting money from increased electricity bills. A 650 watt power supply does not mean it runs at 650 watts constantly. It will use as much power as a 400watt or whatever your system draws, once your system doesn't require more. 650 watt just means that is about the max it will go.

Of course it also depends how efficent the power supply is at converting ac power to dc. Most good ones have an 80%+ efficency.

As another has said, I would try to overclock your cpu somewhat to see if that helps. 1.8ghz isn't really that much. Just do be sure to read up about it before you decide to try it.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I started using that app nHancer, and gamebooster, and I've seen some improvement. I've read a lot that the coders for americas army have always had issues with the game running properly on the unreal engine, and thus nHancer helped that a little. The card isn't even overclocked right now, I did try with settings I found posted by a company that tests gpus, and it worked ok for about a half an hour, then screen froze up and I had to reboot my pc. I didn't even go to the max they said it could get pushed. So it's back at stock now, and it's kind of weird because when a map loads, I might get 60 fps, but after I play for 30 minutes the frame rate drops to like 30-45. So at this point I'm not really sure what it is. I'm still wondering if it could be the processor, the minimum is 3.0ghz single core or recommended is 2.4 dual or quad for AA3. So i'm assuming that the situation I had with playing 2 when I started was this. The cpus were carrying the load and the onboard was dragging, now with AA3 I think the gpu is carrying the load and the cpus are dragging. They aren't at 100% when I play the game, but I'm starting to think they could be bottlenecking the system. Like I said earlier, another player said he was getting 3-30 fps with a 9800gt until he bought a 2.6 dual core, then it jumped to 90 fps flat, basically never dropping below. I don't know if I could overclock this cpu being it's an HP motherboard by ECS or (elite group) and even if so it won't push the cpu very far being it is a 65w processor. Any other suggestions you guys have feel free to add, I'm very thankful for the help and opinions thus far. O yeah, one more thing.........

BUMP.....lol
gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)