Issues with black screens with transitions

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Gourmandises, Oct 19, 2011.

Oct 19, 2011
  1. Gourmandises
    OP

Newcomer Gourmandises Newbie

Netherlands
    Hello GBAtemp community,

I have been playing on my R4 card for a couple of years now and I've always been reading these forums for releases and fixes.

There are a few games that produce a black screen when I'm, for example entering a building/going into combat ( Dragon Quest 6 ) etc. I was wondering what we the cause for it? It only happens to the Dragon Quest games.

For example, in Dragon Quest 6 I just defeated a big boss, and I decide to save straight away. I enter the Church, but my screen goes black and the sound continues. Sometimes it is very annoying. I'm playing on the newest Wood ( 1.38 IIRC )

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

PS: I couldn't really find the right topic for it, as it doesn't involve hacking or anything like that

2. uriyasama

Newcomer uriyasama Advanced Member

United States
    I know this problem it used to happen to me a lot on r4 too. I had to switch my r4 about 3 times until it stopped doing this, so I guess it's a common r4 problem. everytime I switched the r4 card i switched the sd card too, so it might also be connected to the sd card being slow. until you solve the problem I suggest you to backup the game saves because my game saves were erased after the black screen sometimes.

3. Kaoid

Member Kaoid GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    its probaly anti-piracy protection coded into the game. sqaure enix have been puting ap protection into their games recently. you will have to find a patch for it.

4. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Your firmware is outdated. Update to Wood 1.45. That should fix your problem.

I've played all the Dragon Quest DS games with no problems whatsoever, so it's probably outdated firmware that's causing your problem.

5. Click This

Member Click This Surgite!

United States
    Nice half-year necro.