Hacking ISO to Wiiware

Phratt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anybody able to check if the structure of a Wiiware wad in any way similar or convertable?

Cause it'd be pretty sick if we could convert full games down to wiiware size and play them as channels.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it was the Wii has shit for space, come on it can barely hold enough VC & WiiWare titles.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not possible. The idea was mauled around for a while at first and some people attempted to make it work but ther's just no way.

Phratt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
The problem is the wii internal memory
It's only 512 mb (probably less by now)
And a game is 4.38 gb (ssbb is even the double of that)

Well most of it that is well known to be junk data to fill space, and there HAS to be a way to downsize games cause think about it, some Wiiware games are as complicated as Retail wii games, just with drastic size differences. Maybe they have some way to downsize it?

But if thats not an option, Nintendo WILL make an update for SD card storage by march, and this update, if im correct, will allow you to load channels from the SD (maybe even SDHC).

Evidently, I don't know code so well but It doesn't hurt to throw some ideas around we can maybe look further into.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe this is the reason why VC and WiiWare from sd card are not yet released, it is possible, but is limited to the NAND size for now.

Dodi

Trophies
XP
Country
what's a demodulator?
Or is it a word you just made up?
tongue.gif

jacklaidlaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Dodi said:
what's a demodulator?
tongue.gif

There are several ways of demodulation depending on what parameters of the base-band signal are transmitted in the carrier signal if for instance you knock up and install a demodulator you can transfer over the iso data into wad format via external hdd on a sub routine loop it should be possible

bozzer123

Trophies
XP
Country
jacklaidlaw said:
Dodi said:
what's a demodulator?
tongue.gif

There are several ways of demodulation depending on what parameters of the base-band signal are transmitted in the carrier signal if for instance you knock up and install a demodulator you can transfer over the iso data into wad format via external hdd on a sub routine loop it should be possible

oh your talking about the new one that hasnt been released yet

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On a slightly more serious note I believe some people toyed with the idea back with one of the games that was released on a disc and as wiiware (code was identical). I forget the name of the game though and as others have mentioned 512 megs is not a lot of space and most games are way beyond that (see the list of scrubbed sizes that was somewhere on the wiki that would be the size you deal with although ripping games would be possible).

I like the flatmii idea WiiCrazy spoke of though.

Maybe if the idea of NAND "chips" was to be explored further something could happen.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
On a slightly more serious note I believe some people toyed with the idea back with one of the games that was released on a disc and as wiiware (code was identical). I forget the name of the game though and as others have mentioned 512 megs is not a lot of space and most games are way beyond that (see the list of scrubbed sizes that was somewhere on the wiki that would be the size you deal with although ripping games would be possible).

I like the flatmii idea WiiCrazy spoke of though.

Maybe if the idea of NAND "chips" was to be explored further something could happen.
Pop, WiiWare US & retail Europe.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
games2007 said:
Even scrubbed, a game wouldn't even fit on the wii. It has less than 512mb of storage...
I just kinda wanted to throw it out there, that Animal Crossing City Folk scrubbed is barely over 400MB. Wouldn't that fit if this were to be possible?

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there has been ones even less than Animal Crossing:

Puppy Luv 344mb
Smarty Pants 308mb
Wii Music 289mb
Puzzle Quest 250mb
Mini Desktop Racing 219mb
Top Tumps: Dr Who 205mb
Balloon Pop 201mb (this was the one that was WiiWare too)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.