1. Subzero100

OP Subzero100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    One reason why i never installed this is because there really was no reason to, and when i found out that Microsoft installed spyware on it permanently changed my mind. I've seen alot of custom windows downloads everywhere, so does it mean it's safe to use?

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. CPG

CPG good morning.

Canada
    use windows 7

trust me

Scott_pilgrim and Hologram like this.
  3. alexander1970

alexander1970 Try to Live in here and now.

Austria
    Hello. 1111smiley_emoticons_seb_zylinder.gif

Yes,absolute.

- Windows 3.11
    - Windows 95
    - Windows NT
    - Windows 98
    - Windows ME
    - Windows 2000
    - Windows XP
    - Windows Vista
    - Windows 7
    - Windows 8

Every Windows Version deserves the Right to be described as absolutely trustworthy and,of course,sa(f)e to use.:)

Good Day. 1111smiley_emoticons_seb_zylinder.gif

JuanMena and Lostbhoy like this.
  4. GCS

GCS GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    Windows 7 doesn't get security updates afaik.
    I would recommend you to use Linux specifically:
    - Linux Manjaro
    - Linux Ubuntu, you can search others too.
    It may seem Linux is nerd-ish and hard to use but it's not. There are pre-installed app stores that you can find most of the things that you are searching that are even better than App(le) Store and Microsoft Store

Last edited by GCS, Nov 29, 2020
    Ektif, IC_ and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  5. CPG

CPG good morning.

Canada
    microsoft exaggerates how bad no security updates is, so if he had to, i would say he should use windows 7.

But if we're recommending linux distros then...
    Pop OS
    Manjaro
    ArcoLinux
    Linux Mint

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    if you keep windows 7 and 8 up to date it has the same """spyware""" btw

IC_ and GCS like this.
  7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

There are ways to disable telemetry, such as o&o shutup10, W7/8 had it added as well.

The biggest issues I have with W10 is that sometimes it just breaks, like the other week, did a normal reboot and it just refused to login.

So I'd suggest having a scheduled backup of the system partition if possible, only reason I didn't restore was that I had intended on clean installing anyway.

It can be an issue though, to the point that MS has had to release patches for certain exploits because so many people were being affected.

Before considering switching to Linux, I'd suggest trying them in a VM first to see if it does what you want it to.

Even between distros there can be compatibility issues.

Lostbhoy likes this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Ignore anyone that tells you to "just use Windows 7" and other such garbage, because Windows 7 had most of the data collection systems backported years ago. If you're using any update Windows 7 version from like 2015 or so, congratulations, you have the same spyware and you're just a moron.

IMO, install Windows 10 LTSB. This removes most of the data collection services like Cortana, Edge, and most of the Metro apps, and is still able to receive security updates.

Otherwise, just use Linux.

Ricken, IC_, Scott_pilgrim and 6 others like this.
  9. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    man, finally someone with common sense realizing that 7 is no safer than windows 10

IC_ likes this.
  10. GCS

GCS GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    Yes, testing distros in VM is a great option.
    Even if you disable some settings in Windows it will still get your data from another service (i.e. MS Office, Edge, etc...)
    Since Linux is open-source exploits are patched fastly too.

11. flowlapache

flowlapache GBAtemp Regular

France
    if you don't use Windows 10 LTSB, you can run "privatezilla" to disable a large part of the telemetry.
    I f you don't really need windows (to play "only windows " game or use a specific software), sure you'll find safe happiness with a linux distribution ;-)

CPG likes this.
  12. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
  13. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    In diagnostics & feedback you can just set to required diagnostic data. Then it will only send data necessary to get windows updates.

The whole telemetry thing has been way overblown. I would rather trust Microsoft than some randoms off the internet that provide a hacked version of windows or an exe that will make my copy of windows "safe".

LTSB is kinda pointless too. Although I would never use Home, as Pro has too many necessary features.

Last edited by smf, Nov 30, 2020
  14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    No one should be using Windows 7 anymore.
    If you are worried, use something like Spybot Anti-Beacon (what I use)
    Microsoft has publicized exactly what data they collect from telemetry. It's a long list, but there's nothing there that should have you worried.
    Even so, not being able to turn it off is just something I don't like, and that's why I use Spybot Anti-Beacon.

15. Subzero100

OP Subzero100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i see people cant even answer a simple question, and im not installing spyware on my pc just to play 1 game.

16. GCS

GCS GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    In addition to that now you can play most of the single-player games with Steam on Linux and some multiplayer games with Windows 10 KVM. So, I really don't see a reason to stay in Windows except if you need Adobe or another program that isn't compatible with Linux and necessary for you or your job.

Last edited by GCS, Dec 1, 2020
  17. Hologram

Hologram GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Still on windows 7 - It simply works.

18. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    I eventually caved and got windows 10 because of better app scaling for high dpi monitors, the microsoft store for one single game, and "better" hdr and 4k support. If you want/need some of those things you might consider upgrading but if you're running a 1080p setup and don't play Bedrock Minecraft I would say stay on 7.

The amount of times I've had to enter this shit called Group Policy Editor just to have something work is absolutely insane. Features in the "security" section of Win10 mess up a lot of piracy shit for me also. That's not even mentioning updates which are somewhat disableable, that is until they aren't and then all of your settings get reverted and it's quite a hassle as far as daily upkeep for just a simple desktop os.

19. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've been running Windows 10 for five years, I have no idea what this "daily upkeep" is. I don't recall any settings getting reverted, let alone all of my settings.

If you leave your computer running processes overnight then I would suggest using Windows 10 Pro and disabling automatic updates https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

The only other annoyance is if you have slow internet as Windows will download updates in the background and will happily attempt to max out your downstream, which is annoying if you are trying to watch netflix. You can set a maximum speed in Settings now.

I've hated Linux (and all Unix) since the 90's. I don't see a reason to run Linux unless you have software that hasn't been ported to Windows, or you are forced to use Linux for your job.

Last edited by smf, Dec 1, 2020
    DarknessPlay3r and duwen like this.
  20. GCS

GCS GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    There is one big reason to run Linux: Open Source.
    This makes so that the exploits get patched more quickly since there are multiple developers checking it and makes you sure that the apps and the OS doesn't spy on you.
    - There are additional features like, Live and Proper Kernel/ System updates that let's you use your PC while updating and doesn't break your PC.
    - There are more customizability options.
    - After some time app installations can even become easier than Windows or Macintosh.
    - Great compatibility for Windows apps/ games and option to run Bare Metal VM(KVM) so fi you really need an application or game that is only on Windows or Linux you can use that VM without having huge performance drops.
    - It's free.

Last edited by GCS, Dec 1, 2020
    IC_ and flowlapache like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Windows,