Hardware Is Wii hardware/controllers region free ?

Rise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking about ordering a few bits from playasia.com, namely a component cable, GC controller and a classic pro controller.
I noticed that all of them have a note that says " Compatible with Nintendo™ Wii - Japan"
Just wondering if the above stuff will work on a euro PAL console ?

Rise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply`s
smile.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rise said:
I was thinking about ordering a few bits from playasia.com, namely a component cable, GC controller and a classic pro controller.
I noticed that all of them have a note that says " Compatible with Nintendo™ Wii - Japan"
Just wondering if the above stuff will work on a euro PAL console ?
Looking at the ridiculous hidden costs of the Wii you pay just for the two excluded controllers necessary to properly play most (not even all!) Wii-compatible games (which is not possible without both the GC- and Classic controllers), how outrageous would it be to unnecessarily make them region-locked, too?

Well, with that in mind, I can't blame you for asking, either.

If you ask me, this is totally getting out of hand. During the past 14 years, all that was needed to play most (which is, like, 95%) of the existing PlayStation titles was the most recent PlayStation system and corresponding controller at the time, since the new ones fully replaced the old ones (Only exception: Non-60GB PS3s, which don't play PS2 titles, but this is not about the systems, anyway). Sure, it may not be the sexiest controller alive (and even though I really like it, I know there's a whole bunch of Dualshock-haters out there), but hell, it gets the job done, and having one SINGLE controller for like $40 (DualShock 1/2) or $60 (Sixaxis/DualShock3) sure beats the hell out of having to furnish a whole cabinet dedicated to your gaming peripherals. Sounds funny, but I'm not even kidding. Luckily, Microsoft has so far stepped into Sony's footsteps in this matter, but Nintendo?
Even excluding the heap of Nintendo controllers I've collected during the years, you still need one Wiimote and Nunchuck (and by now: MotionPlus) just for the Wii games, one GC controller for the GC games (and keep in mind that like 75% of the Wii owners never owned a GC), and one Classic Controller for, say, SNES games, since Nintendo deliberately rendered the GC controller useless for SNES games with the hilariously bad button mapping (like, A is where B should be, B where Y should be, etc.), but also because some games are simply unenjoyable with the Wiimote's or GC controller's sad excuse for a D-pad. And of course, most Nintendo games are fun in multiplayer mode, and most Nintendo multiplayer modes are only enjoyable offline (including those with MotionPlus support so far), so do the math. And then there's the Wii Wheel and Wii Zapper, which are totally useless and just litter your cupboards.

I mean, you don't have to buy any of this stuff, but I suppose a Wii owner wants to be able to play as many games as possible. Believe it or not, I know people who own four Wiimotes, four Nunchucks, four GameCube controllers (though carried over from the Cube era), four Classic controllers, and on day one, they've bought one MotionPlus for each Wiimote, and until recently still claimed it's the best and most inexpensive gaming console on the market. Well, it surely conquers your living room best.

Sorry you had to read this, but I really needed to get this off my chest. Am I the only one who's totally pissed-off by the large amount of controllers, let alone the price of them or having to switch them for every different game?
It boggles my mind how you need to use a Wiimote (or Classic controller) in order to start a GameCube game. Pretty smart thinking.
Damn, Nintendo, stop it. The 90's are OVER.

Rise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I couldent agree with you more, as of now i`m looking at basicly the price of a new wii in accessories/controllers.

Need a second set wii mote + nunchuck + motion plus just to begin playing multiplayer, and a GC and classic controller if i want to play VC/wiiware ( x2 if i want multiplayer there as well), componant cable`s just to get a decent picture on the TV ( really should come bundled with the console, i mean its not like flatscreens are rare in an avarage household theese days) + a whole bunch of expensive plastic molded in diffrent shapes.
Sure they arent needed, but it makes some games more fun and immersive (light gun handle ex)

If i were to buy the above in my local ebaygames/gamestop, its about the same price as a new console
frown.gif

Thank god for the internet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill