Hacking Is Wii capable of dual layer DVD?

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
lol, i would if i wasnt at work... it's only a hour and half - two hour drive...

BUT..... is it even possible to bypass the first layer when writing a dvd?

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LOL!!!...wow those are the funniest post ever XDD

"Just burn a dual layer disc and try it"...what are you going to burn?...data files?.....what would the wii do wiht it? we have absolutely no homebrew capabilities right now so how would the wii even read the 2nd layer (even if it had the capabilities to)

edit: sorry to burst ur bubble there ^^;; but yea u need a dual-layer dvd burner to even burn a dual-layer DVD...and chances of our Wii haven't one is relatively slim which is actually quite disappointing.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Last time we had this conversation didn't someone post a picture of an excitetruck dev disc which said "Single layer" on it, implying there were dual layer Wii discs as well?

EDIT:
RVT-RDisc.jpg

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country

"Just burn a dual layer disc and try it"...what are you going to burn?...data files?.....what would the wii do wiht it? we have absolutely no homebrew capabilities right now so how would the wii even read the 2nd layer (even if it had the capabilities to)

edit: sorry to burst ur bubble there ^^;; but yea u need a dual-layer dvd burner to even burn a dual-layer DVD...and chances of our Wii haven't one is relatively slim which is actually quite disappointing.

or we could burn a Wii game to it, to try with one of the modchips

I thought that was obvious....

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks BlueStar for bringing this up. I was just going to refer to that image i posted last time
smile.gif
it saves me tracking down my previous post.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

There's no way you could do that without restructuring the ISO in order to expand it, and given that the file system on Wii discs has yet to be figured out, there is no chance of that happening at this point in time.

The closest you might get to your answer is if something like GCOS was modified to allow larger multiboot GC discs (8.5GB for example), then you could have a test and see.

Metink

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
brakken from tehskeen.com:

http://modyawii.tehskeen.com/index.php?page=mfe.html

QUOTE said:
Creating a Disc with > 1.4GB of Multimedia Files

MFE was originally created for the GameCube and has a physical limitation of loading only up to 1.4GB from the disc, but I've discovered an easy way to bypass this allowing you to use a DVD5 or DVD9 (Dual Layer) disc. What you will need to do is to make sure the "mfe-fs.bz2" is under the 1.4GB range. To do this you will need to rename any files that start with 0-9/A-M to N-Z. For example, say you have a DiVX file named "Alladin.avi" you will need to rename it to "s_alladin.avi". Renaming all of your media files first character to N-Z will make them be placed and written to the disc after the "mfe-fs.bz2" file as that file needs to be written first.

Anyone tried it?

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

not as obvious as you had thought~
tongue.gif

I think the other idea is good though, burn a dual layer GC homebrew disc and see if it can read it, but wow XD 8GBs of GC homebrew
biggrin.gif

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
well, does it all have to be homebrew? you couldnt burn a lot of MP3z or something for the first 4.8 gig, in a seperate directory, then add the ISO before finalizing the disc? like i said, i dont know, just asking....
but about the dual layer burners.... WTF does that have to do with the wii? of course the wii doesnt have a burner on it...but it might have a reader.

Stripey_Horse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I imagine N loses less money per console then a 360.

i HEARD it takes MS 10 games per 360 to make a profit..

Ps3 , lets wait and see until it gets released world wide..

thats not to say N WONT make a updated wii with dual layer dvd-rom for dvd moves (and charge for it , they MUST pay per unit for the dvd licence) , forget dual layer games. with close to 5 million sold. NO WAY

Like others have said. if it could read dual layers , it would be in the SDK. but for a 480p console(MAX) it dont really need dual layer..

Xbox got around this , they only paid per dongle (unmodded xbox wouldnt play dvds without it)

Im not a fanboy of ANY system. I got a wii because i liked the idea and my WHOLE family plays it. Even my mum.

Ive since got at least 3 family members to buy one , just to play wii sports.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof