Hacking Is this wiikey a clone or genuine?

vietboi155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I bought this wiikey from kaidomain and from comparing it to the pics of the real wiikeys vs. the clone wiikeys., it looks more like a real wiikey. Can you help me verify it? You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

pottageb

Trophies
XP
Country
clones2.jpg

Looks like the top left one to me, so original

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
got the same one from dealextreme, it looks like its real, but it cannot because it sells for $11.

we will know the truth when the wiikey firmware update arrives...

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks like the top left one to me, so original
The 01B on his chip is upside down (on that block @R3), so it's not exactly like the top left one.
Comparing to the bottom left one the silver things may be just a bit overlighted on the photo, but the lowering rectangle on the black chip is placed above the circle horizontally on the left bottom picture, but on his it's placed vertically over the circle, like on the top left picture.

It doesn't look like one of the clones either, cause they have larger fonts for the C1, C2 and R3 texts and no lower parts on the chip at all.
-edit: Also the rightest circle seems to have way more space from the border, or is that just bad imagecropping?

Both WiiKey as well as the clones are making new boards all the time, so it's probably either a new clone or a new real thing. Seeing you have bought it for a really cheap price from a shop which is probably not on this list, I think it's a clone anyway.
The thing is, if it's a good clone, the update probably can't differ them from eachother anyway, so it will not mather then. That's for if they ever release an update...
unsure.gif

vietboi155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered it on march 27. To me it seems much faster than dealextreme. I got it today around 1 if that matters, so around two weeks.

ildocteur

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Am I the only one that it find difficult to believe that the wiikey people will be able to create a update that will only work on the real Wiikey chips.

The hardware is obviously identical and the firmware in the clones are ripped of an original chip.

Either they have hidden some identification in the real chips that the cloners did not copy or the have stored different "serial numbers" in the eeprom of the real chips and that they will be able to blacklist the few serials used by the cloners.

Its highly unlikely that there is information in the chip that the cloners did not copy over. If the chips are serialized it will be possible to create a small homebrew app that alters the serial number of a cloned chip or even easier to patch the updater to remove the blacklist.

ildoc

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not gonna make a difference whether it's a fake or not.

I suspect the companies that make the clone chips ripped the Wiikey code and use the same IC and PCB design. It will therefore be impossible for the Wiikey team to make the next version of firmware incompatible with the clone chips without invalidating their own product.

The likelihood is that they will abandon the current Wiikey if favour of a new and updated Wiikey v2 for future development and firmware updates taking better security precautions to prevent the same thing happening again.

You can hang me out to dry if I'm wrong .... but I bet you I'm not too far from the truth!
tongue.gif

GraveDilute

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I gotta agree with you ildocteur.

I think Wiikey team are in a tight spot. Either they abandon the chip in favour of a new version, and thus piss off all of the people that bought a Ver1 chip, or they bring out the update which people with clones will be able to use.

I just see the irony in a company which promotes piracy now being pirated.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
$11 bucks shipped! I guess it shouldn't really be much of a problem since if its a clone you only lost 11 bucks and if it works great then that's an extra bonus!

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already ordered an "original" from a retailer listed on wiikey.cn's website. Should I cancel and just get a clone for $20 off?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4