Is this website still good for switch hacks?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Maluma, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Maluma
    OP

Maluma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    There is a website/guide called https://www.sdsetup.com/ . I was wondering if it is still good for switch hacks or if it is now considered outdated. Thanks.

2. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Doesn't seem to be too bad, what cfw do you plan to install?

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I personally don't use it, but it's up to date and usable, yes.

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    It is a well-written guide, it is okay to use.

PHiLiPZ likes this.
  5. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    It's up to date but currently has no info about how to setup emunand.

6. Maluma
    OP

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Atmosphere

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Is there a different guide you would recommend? I don't want to mess anything up and would rather follow a guide that has step by step instructions like in the ARM9Hax for the 3ds where you had to follow 2 hours of steps.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    This guide is fine if your plan is to use Atmosphere.

8. Maluma
    OP

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    What about emunand? Everyone here swears by it.

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You really only need an emuNAND if you plan on using online play. Which system version are you on?

10. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    so for switch it is emuMMC cause the switch doesnt have a nand chip and second its for people who wanna do homebrew and play online so u can use MMC for homebrew and a clean emuMMC for online as example

11. Maluma
    OP

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    I am on 4.0.1

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Then there are two reasons to use emuNAND:
    1. To use a clean sysNAND for online play while you use a dirty offline emuNAND for hackery.
    2. To keep your fuse count low without installing AutoRCM.
    If you don't care about online play, and if you don't care about being able to downgrade in the future (or you are using AutoRCM), then there is no reason for you to use an emuNAND.

PHiLiPZ likes this.
  13. Maluma
    OP

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Is there anything special about using 4.0.1? Can you Clone Sysnand to Emunand to keep your gamesaves? Can you keep sysnand at 4.0.1 and EMUnand on latest? Is there any reason to stay on 4.0.1 or any benefits of 4.0.1 over other FW's?

14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can use the warmboot browser exploit (instead of the RCM exploit) on 4.X.

Other than that, there is no benefit to being on 4.X, and it is unlikely that 4.X will receive any other exploits. If you don't care about the currently available warmboot browser exploit, then there's no reason to use an emuNAND (unless you want to use online play), there's no reason to stay on 4.X, and there's probably no reason to preserve the ability to downgrade to 4.X.

If you want to preserve the ability to downgrade to 4.X but don't want to waste your time with emuNAND, you can install AutoRCM to preserve your fuses.

Yes, but there might not be any reason for you to use an emuNAND.

Yes, but there might not be any reason for you to use an emuNAND.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 21, 2019
  15. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2019
    Slovakia
    There’s hope for a permanent hack on these lower firmware versions. The idea is to have a low fw sysnand to boot into hekate without a jig and an updated cfw emunand and possibly an updated clean emunand for online.

16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    4.X is unlikely to ever receive anything more than the warmboot browser exploit it already has. Ways have been discussed that an untethered coldboot exploit, in principle, might be possible on 3.X and lower.

That being said, a person who really cares about receiving something like an untethered coldboot exploit should preserve fuses, even though it's unlikely on 4.X and higher.

17. Maluma
    OP

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Alright so I still need a jig right now? I just got my memory card and I am ready to go. What is Pegascape for?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What do I need to get emunand installed after I set all this up?Do I just drag the extracted zip to the root of my sdcard?

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you're on 4.0.1, then you don't necessarily need a jig. That's up to you. There are two ways for you to hack your Switch, since your Switch is unpatched:
    1. RCM (requires a jig the first time)
    2. Warmboot browser exploit (not recommended unless you dislike the RCM exploit)
    You can find more information on choosing an exploit here.

PegaScape is for people who want to (or have to) use the warmboot browser exploit.

Since your Switch is on 4.0.1 and it's unpatched, you get to choose which exploit you want to use.

You will need to use your computer to partition your SD card for emuNAND, and you will need Hekate. Once it is setup, it's easy to use. If you aren't using online play, and if you aren't using the warmboot browser exploit, then there isn't really any need to use an emuNAND.

19. Maluma
    OP

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    So I install Atmosphere first and then partition my card? Or should I partition it now? I just bought a fresh card, do I need to insert it to my switch first to format it?

20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can partition the card now and then setup the emuNAND with Hekate.