Hacking Is this possible?

daveshah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Supercard SD, but it is not very useful any more and I am thinking of buying a new Slot-1 card (maybe the DSTWO.) I would like to know software exists to load a GBA game from the microSD card in the Slot-1 flashcart into the RAM of the Supercard in the GBA slot, then boot the game.

I have some programming knowledge so I could possibly code this myself, if it was supported by the hardware/libraries.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know about transferring a GBA rom into the Supercard in slot2, but:
1. it already exists with the EZ flash 3-in-1 slot 2 (GBA, RAM, Rumble), using GBAexpLoader homebrew, or directly with some Flashcard's firmware.
2. Super Card DS Two is already compatible with GBA roms without the need of a slot 2, as it include an additional CPU to increase emulation possibility directly from Slot1, making GBA game a possibility on DSi and 3DS. It's still an emulator, not the real GBA mode.

For real GBAMode, you need a Slot2 card.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon the GBA of the DStwo is better than the GBA of the supercard SD, certainly nicer to work with. Not sure what supports using the supercards as a GBA expansion pack (their ram really is not good) although if anything does it will be GBAexpLoader.

If you did want a ram "API"/library though
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13023 not sure if it ever got merged into the devkitpro/devkitarm toolchain or what versions it is compatible with right now but it should do what you want.

Equally if you did want example sources for GBA loaders http://filetrip.net/f10977-GBALdr--3in1-GBA-loader-0-1-FINAL.html had some although it was intended for the 3 in 1 NOR (not a great deal of difference once you get ram unlocked and mapped accordingly).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, I know the old SCDS:One software (the Moonshell based one) could load a GBA rom to a slot-2 Supercard's RAM, but I'm not sure if that was only for GBA-to-DS linking (think Pal Park in the Pokemon games) or if you could actually launch the game once loaded. Actually come to think of it, I think you *could* launch the game, but the saving didn't work properly since it had no way to update the *.sav file on the slot-1 microSD card, so the feature was useless. I don't know if the feature even made it over when they switched to EOS, or if it did, if the SCDS:Two can do it as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse