Hacking Is this note from the USB Loader GX site still valid?

snuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using 4.2U, I'm getting a lot of frozen games and black screen on current games. Saw this on the USB Loader site and wondered if it is still good info before I start changing cIOSs.

NOTES:

-You can have cIOS36/38 and cIOS222/223 installed at the same time. Every version has its own (dis)advantages.

-If your global cIOS is 249 and you set an individual game's cIOS to 222/223, it will not always work. On the other hand, if you set your global boot to 222 and set an individual boot to 249, it should work fine.

-If you change your global boot cIOS you need to completely exit out of the loader and restart it in order for the change to take effect. If you do not do this you will get a black screen. It is also necessary to delete your GXgamesettings.cfg file from your config folder on your SD/USB to prevent any setting conflicts since anything in GXgamesettings.cfg overrides the GXglobal.cfg file.

-Setting your global boot to 222 rev 3(installed as 37 merge 36) or 222 rev 4(installed as 38 merge 37) and setting your global 002fix to ANTI will result in 99% compatibility with no glitching/stuttering on IN REGION games. For OUT OF REGION games you need to also set the Video Mode to AUTOPATCH. The 1% non-compatibility is from the "please insert disc" games. However, those games are fully playable by simply inserting any dvd into your drive (I just stick a blank one in) OR by loading those specific games with cIOS 249 rev 12 or higher.

-Make sure you always delete the 00000001 folder from the root of your SD/USB before doing any network installation of cIOS 222/223.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
humm, well, these info are a bit old but should be right.

First, it all depends on :
- USBloader GX revision
- Partition type (WBFS, FAT32, NTFS ?)

• some revisions are not compatible with some cIOS.
• some Partition type requires specific cIOS version/revisions.
• some games requires specific base IOS

So, first provide information on the partition type you want to use.

To resume quickly what you will need :

WBFS partition is working with any cIOS.
FAT32 and NTFS partitions are working with : Hermes v4

Hermes V5 and cIOSx 18+ are compatible only with USBloader revision 921 to 930.

Look at my signature, everything is working fine with these cIOS + r927

snuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which USB Loader GX revision I am using but it is the latest one from their website. I am using a WBFS partition that takes up all of a WD passport.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, the latest is r938.
If you are using a WBFS partition, you won't have any problem.
You can use cIOS rev17 and/or Hermes V4.

The notes from the first posts are a little old, and shouldn't bother anymore.
The loader can now reboot to any IOS without problem, so you can use either IOS249 or 222/223 as base IOS.
Though, Some games will require the use of Hermes v4 [37+38 merged] (music games like Guitare hero, and Monster Hunter Tri)

A newer game require IOS57 as base, you will need Hermes V5 or cIOSx rev20.
Just know that these cIOS version are not fully compatible with r938, you can experience menu freezes. (but they will work fine once the games is launched).

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
So, the latest is r938.
If you are using a WBFS partition, you won't have any problem.
You can use cIOS rev17 and/or Hermes V4.

The notes from the first posts are a little old, and shouldn't bother anymore.
The loader can now reboot to any IOS without problem, so you can use either IOS249 or 222/223 as base IOS.
Though, Some games will require the use of Hermes v4 [37+38 merged] (music games like Guitare hero, and Monster Hunter Tri)

A newer game require IOS57 as base, you will need Hermes V5 or cIOSx rev20.
Just know that these cIOS version are not fully compatible with r938, you can experience menu freezes. (but they will work fine once the games is launched).

It's odd. You list what your cIOS bases are for everything, except for 249. May I ask what you're using?

snuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using cIOS 249 rev20, not 17 as you recommended. Could that be causing my problems? If so, how hard is it to downgrade to rev 17

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@OrGoN3 :
IOS249 installed from cIOS rev17 is only base 38, so there's no need to specify.

But if you install IOS249 from cIOSx rev18, 19 or 20, then you have to specify which one (the x = multi-base).

@snuka :
It should not be a problem in games, the cIOSx has problem on the loader, not while playing (like "listing games on NTFS", "loading the banner sound", etc.)

If you have problem while playing, it's a base IOS problem I think.
If you are using cIOSx rev20, which base did you install ?

Recommended base IOS :
37 : for music games, and MHtri. (microphone and wiispeak)
38 : The long time used main IOS. Works with almost all games.
56 : New IOS, faster USB2.0 transfer, game loading is faster and compatibility is good. Some games may have bugs though.
57 : new IOS too, a little slower than 56. Required by some recent games (Black Ops only ?). No compatibility bug known ? 57 could be the best one.

Try IOS249[38] rev20, and see if it's still freezing.
then try IOS249 rev17, or Hermes 222[37+38]v4

As to know how easy it is to downgrade to rev17 : Install rev17 -> Done
It's not really a downgrade, it's an overwriting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.