Is this Mini-PC a good buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_187681.html

My intentions with it are to play 720p and 1080p HD x264 videos without any lag (I had an Android TV box which kept stopping on certain videos for being more than it could handle).

I think the price is decent and so's the hardware, or is there a better deal somewhere else? Thought of Pi2 but it's not as good as this one, it seems.

Thanks.

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    They lost me at 32bit and 2 gigs of ram I would not buy this.

3. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Yeah, not too keen on that x86 as I'd prefer x64 if possible.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's actually a 64-bit CPU, so I'm not sure why it says 32-bit. Maybe it has the same problem that tablets using Atom Bay Trail CPUs have - they use a x86 UEFI BIOS and so are unable to boot anything x64. With only 2 GB of RAM it doesn't make much of a difference though, until you try to run something that does not have a x86-compatible EFI bootloader (last I checked you were limited to Windows and Ubuntu)

For the price you can't really go wrong though. It won't have specs that can compare to a desktop PC or laptop, but it's in a completely different price range. It will play 1080p videos fine, as will a Raspberry Pi 2, so if that's your primary use for it, then either of them will do the job just fine.

Meeooww likes this.
  5. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    OK, then (got the reference? :P). Thanks, Jdbye. :)

I think I might go with the Cenovo for having Windows 10 but really would like to then install Lubuntu on it though dunno how exactly to do such a thing.