Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
rockstar99 said:
guys i dint start this topic it was somewhere in the last page of the dstt forums i clicked it to read it but there was not even one post so i asked why are some threads not visible to be this topic was not started by me
It's because the server moved or sth and a lot of random posts got deleted. (or something like that)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Also - whereas 'Bri' seems biased towards the AK2 (I say biased since most posts like this one, 'Bri' mentions the AK2 more often than others IMHO), I rather support the DSTT(i) with Moonshell2+Ysmenu combo (I will admit that I do like the AK2i interface though)

I have always admitted that I am biased towards the Acekard 2, and that others may have differing opinions about the "best" flash cart. However, the reason I mentioned the Acekard 2 here is because it costs only about $5 more than the DSTT but is far and away superior to the DSTT. So the Acekard 2 was mentioned because it's a better alternative to the DSTT in a similar price range, not because I'm biased towards the Acekard 2 (which I don't deny).

Since I'm so biased towards the Acekard 2, it should be pointed out that if you really like the Moonshell 2 + YSMenu combination, the Acekard 2 will run both of those as well. But I doubt you'd really want to since the AKAIO menu for the Acekard is one of the nicest menus for any flash cart at any price.

QUOTEIt really is down to preference whether you can call the DSTT bad or not.

In my opinion, there is little question that the DSTT is not as good as other flash carts (it's the only one I know of that doesn't support the most basic features such as navigating folders or alphabetizing games). The only advantage of the DSTT that I can think of is that it costs about $5 less.

-Bri

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
I havent recieved my AK2i yet. But I can tell, from the flashcarts I have right now (Supercard DS One, EZ-Vi, DSTT, Edge), the DSTT has the worst build quality + they havent updated their firmware for a while, so I dont really see any difference between DSTT and R4DS..

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Kamui said:
I havent recieved my AK2i yet. But I can tell, from the flashcarts I have right now (Supercard DS One, EZ-Vi, DSTT, Edge), the DSTT has the worst build quality + they havent updated their firmware for a while, so I dont really see any difference between DSTT and R4DS..
WTF dude? Just look at the official review. They say the DSTT has some of the best build quality of any flasher.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Well "MY SAMPLE" fell apart just after I opened the box.
Everytime I take it out of my DS, it just falls apart, I have to push it hardly to keep the cart in one piece..

edit:
oh and by the way, the DSTT build design has changed various times from batch to batch. Plastic springloader etc. etc.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Kamui said:
Well "MY SAMPLE" fell apart just after I opened the box.
Everytime I take it out of my DS, it just falls apart, I have to push it hardly to keep the cart in one piece..
i've had actual DS games that were broken new out of the box. with chinese manufacturing you never really know dude.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
So you see the point.
I wont take out infos from the review and copy paste it here. I am telling from MY EXPERIENCE and about the SAMPLE I HAVE!
You do realize that the review is 1.5 years old?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Overlord Natie said:
rockstar99 said:
guys i dint start this topic it was somewhere in the last page of the dstt forums i clicked it to read it but there was not even one post so i asked why are some threads not visible to be this topic was not started by me
It's because the server moved or sth and a lot of random posts got deleted. (or something like that)
yes to speed up the site, the first (random number) posts were moved to the archive. Its on all boards, not just DSTT

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Advice Dog said:
WTF dude? Just look at the official review. They say the DSTT has some of the best build quality of any flasher.

Newer models of the DSTT snap together rather than being glued shut. That makes them easier to open, but may lower the sturdiness of the flash cart.

-Bri

k3vin369

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see why people say the DSTT is bad.. It does it's job and it works. Unless you don't do your research, and ending up with a fake DSTT; still your fault.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Bad" is relative (the R4 is BAD), but people say the DSTT is bad because it doesn't have the most basic features that nearly all other flash carts have. For $5 more you can have a flash cart that alphabetizes games, navigates folders, runs GBA games directly from the menu, has multiple save slots, isn't laggy, is updated regularly, has nearly 100% compatibility, etc, etc.

-Bri

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Why does the thread starter say "test84" but the person at the first post is rockstar99?

I apologize for being off-topic. I will not ask anymore.

I think it will be okay if people use an alternative firmware. DSision2 is out there and the maker might add commercial rom loading. MENUdo is about to come out. Moonshell 2 is great too. or YSMenu. Tons of decent alternatives that have frequent updates. I will never touch TTMenu again.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
I think it will be okay if people use an alternative firmware. DSision2 is out there and the maker might add commercial rom loading. MENUdo is about to come out. Moonshell 2 is great too. or YSMenu. Tons of decent alternatives that have frequent updates. I will never touch TTMenu again.

As far as I know, those are all menus and the ones that can load commercial ROMs rely on the official loader from TTMenu. That means that any updates will only affect the menu and not ROM compatibility.

QUOTE(k3vin369 @ Jun 24 2009, 07:02 PM) Same here, you can just buy this card for like $6.00, then replace the normal menu. tada! amazing-ness.

Or for $11 you can buy another flash cart with a great menu (that can, incidentally, still run all of those menus mentioned if you really wanted to).

-Bri

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Advice Dog said:
The DSTT has (probably) the lowest build quality of ANY flashcart ever.

QUOTE(Bri @ Jun 25 2009, 12:19 PM) Or for $11 you can buy another flash cart with a great menu (that can, incidentally, still run all of those menus mentioned if you really wanted to).
I'm not a huge fan of the DSTT, but if all you want is a cheap cart to play roms then why would you want to spend double to do the same thing? You say why spend $6 when you can spend $11 for little improvement, well why spend $11 when you can spend $20 and get some other cart.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bri said:
As far as I know, those are all menus and the ones that can load commercial ROMs rely on the official loader from TTMenu. That means that any updates will only affect the menu and not ROM compatibility.
Not necessary Bri
As you know I've got a DSTT(i)
- Recently I tried the DSTT Firmware (v1.17) & it wouldn't work with Starfy ROM, however using the Moonshell2+Ysmenu Combo, it worked with NO problems !!

Yes - I agree that updates to the 'file selectors' / 'Menus' should have no affect on compatibility, yet can you explain why the official TTDS firmware couldn't run the ROM yet the 3rd party combo did ?

After all - YSmenu uses "ttdldi.dat" (for Homebrew I guess) & "ttpatch.dat" (For ROMS ??) from the official firmware to run them

Puzzling
unsure.gif
!!!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
testic-cancer said:
I'm not a huge fan of the DSTT, but if all you want is a cheap cart to play roms then why would you want to spend double to do the same thing? You say why spend $6 when you can spend $11 for little improvement, well why spend $11 when you can spend $20 and get some other cart.

Your questionable math skills notwithstanding, whether it's worth paying $5 more for another flash cart would depend on whether you think being able to sort games alphabetically, being able to navigate folders, being able to load GBA games directly from the menu, multiple save slots, an attractive and responsive menu, updating the firmware and cheats via WiFi, near-perfect compatibility, frequent updates, etc. are worth $5. In my opinion, most users will find that the DSTT has too many drawbacks compared to other flash carts despite a slightly lower price tag.

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Jun 25 2009, 06:55 AM) Yes - I agree that updates to the 'file selectors' / 'Menus' should have no affect on compatibility, yet can you explain why the official TTDS firmware couldn't run the ROM yet the 3rd party combo did ?

Updating infolib.dat and savlib.dat can also improve compatibility without changing the loader (I don't know about the particular game you mentioned). So it's possible that YSMenu has similar increased compatibility compared to the official menu even though they use the same loader. However, there will be some games that require a loader update in order for them to work, and those won't work with YSMenu or any other menu system that's based on the official loader.

-Bri

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Even games that require a firmware update you can just get em patched 99% of the time. The only games I can truly not play with this card are probably games about horses and other shovelware nobody really wants anyway. Most semi-popular games that you'd want to play at all are always patched eventually.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Bri said:
Your questionable math skills notwithstanding,
How are the "maths skils" questionable? going from a $6 cart to a $11 cart is virtually a doubling of cost. For very little benefit.

QUOTE said:
whether it's worth paying $5 more for another flash cart would depend on whether you think being able to sort games alphabetically, being able to navigate folders, being able to load GBA games directly from the menu, multiple save slots, an attractive and responsive menu, updating the firmware and cheats via WiFi, near-perfect compatibility, frequent updates, etc. are worth $5.
Which is exactly what I said. If you think spending double the cost is worth it for those features, then go ahead. For someone who just wants a cheap way to play games then the DSTT is mostly fine.

In my opinion, most users will find that the DSTT has too many drawbacks compared to other flash carts despite a slightly lower price tag.
"slightly lower" = almost half the price to the next cheapest.

Again, not the cart for me but I know plenty of people who are happy with them, despite seeing the "advanced features" that some of the flashcarts I own have.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
testic-cancer said:
How are the "maths skils" questionable? going from a $6 cart to a $11 cart is virtually a doubling of cost. For very little benefit.

"Virtually" doubling, maybe. Doubling, no. Very little benefit? I'd have to disagree.

QUOTE said:
Which is exactly what I said. If you think spending double the cost is worth it for those features, then go ahead. For someone who just wants a cheap way to play games then the DSTT is mostly fine.

I didn't disagree with you. I just don't think there are very many people who would say that saving $5 is worth the major drawbacks of the DSTT compared to other alternatives.

QUOTE said:
"slightly lower" = almost half the price to the next cheapest.

Slightly lower = $5. Roughly the cost of a fast food meal here in the U.S.

Again, not the cart for me but I know plenty of people who are happy with them, despite seeing the "advanced features" that some of the flashcarts I own have.

Again, I don't disagree that some people might feel that saving $5 is worth having a laggy menu that doesn't alphabetize games, navigate folders, receive menu updates, or have any of the other myriad features that are standard with nearly every other flash cart. I simply believe that those people are probably in the minority.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some...