Question Is this a clean Nand?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by metaljay, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

1. metaljay
    OP

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    Having sold my switch, i gave my SD card to a friend who had just purchased a new hackable switch. I told him to backup the NAND before even turning the console on so it was 100% clean NAND... unfortunately i didn't format the SD card, so when he pushed the payload the atmosphere logo came up, then the nintendo logo and then just a black screen.

I assume this is because atmosphere was trying to boot a higher firmware than was installed on the switch so just black screened and froze.
    Anyway, then force reset then backed up NAND as normal.

The fact atmosphere boot logo popped up and then the nintendo logo suggests the console tried to boot, could this have been recorded in the logs? Or are logs only written to from horizon?

He is quite paranoid having only just bought the switch (and mad at me lol).

Advise?

Cheers

2. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    Well it doesent matter i boot it on my sys AND nothing happen so dont worry

3. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    What payload he push? Atmosphere?

4. metaljay
    OP

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    pushed hekate_ctcaer_4.9.1 from TumGer SD files. so the SD card had all the stuff required but it failed to get past the nintendo logo which i assumed was because was too old sysnand firmware

5. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Hekate should be fine as he didn't boot into the nand, he only boot into Hekate, he should do a nand backup before booting anything else, if he is intending to use CFW only the it doesn't really matter.

6. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    If you saw the atmos logo then no, it would not be considered clean anymore

7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    <snip> duplicate post. Damn phone

8. metaljay
    OP

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    but Hekate has autoboot, the fact it got to the nintendo boot logo suggests the bootloader was triggered. I am trying to understand the fact it failed to boot to horizon (just black screen) means no crash log reports.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

are you able to add any more technical justification to this comment? Do you know when the NAND is accessed upon pushing payload or is it upon booting horizon?
    Are there any way to rebuild a clean nand?

Last edited by metaljay, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM
  9. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Well what he would see is atlas kosmos /atmosphere logo, then the atmosphere sept logo, then the nintendo logo, then the one with the two joycon, if he see all four I don't think it would be clean.

10. metaljay
    OP

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    ah that's good, literally atmosphere logo, nintendo boot logo then just a black screen and nothing :D
    happy days he won't be pissed at me anymore haha

11. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Worse case put a mod chip for him for free lol.

12. metaljay
    OP

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    haha I'm trying to sell the idea to him but he doesn't want anything semi-permanent
    would rather keep it OEM and then the odd time he wants home-brew he can get a dongle out

13. metaljay
    OP

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    Is it possible to rebuild a NAND from scratch? Would this negate my issue or does it come with its own hazards?

14. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Sure you can build a clean nand using the PC version of choidejour. There are plenty of guides around here on how to do that.

15. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Mount the emmc in hacdiskmount.

For 100% clean emmc...

Mount SYSTEM, bis key 2.
    You will have:

Contents
    save
    saveMeta (maybe)

1) Delete saveMeta folder if it exists.
    2) Go in to save, delete everything apart from 8000000000000120 - you will want to complete initial setup when booted!
    3) Go into Contents/placehld. Delete anything that may be in here (probably empty)
    4) Go to SD card, delete Nintendo folder. It is now useless.

Unmount, boot. Done.

Last edited by mattytrog, Apr 18, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    stick267, Hayato213 and metaljay like this.