Homebrew Is there anything that can improve the scaling of DS games (on CFW)?

EriAvery

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's an old issue, the horrible scaling of DS games when playing on a 3DS[XL], and forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I'm getting back into my old DS games but it's just shameful how they decided to scale the games on a larger screen, making it very blurry.
If I wanted to play DS games at their original not-poorly-scaled resolution I wouldn't have gotten a 3DSXL.
Seeing how much you can do with CFW I was curious if there's any apps/mods/homebrew/emulators/etc that can be used with CFW to give them a better scaling.
And when I say better scaling, I mean quality like the HQ pixel filters you'd see in VisualBoy Advance or DeSmuMe.

Is there anything like that? Or am I stuck using my laptop to play these games?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's an old issue, the horrible scaling of DS games when playing on a 3DS[XL], and forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I'm getting back into my old DS games but it's just shameful how they decided to scale the games on a larger screen, making it very blurry.
If I wanted to play DS games at their original not-poorly-scaled resolution I wouldn't have gotten a 3DSXL.
Seeing how much you can do with CFW I was curious if there's any apps/mods/homebrew/emulators/etc that can be used with CFW to give them a better scaling.
And when I say better scaling, I mean quality like the HQ pixel filters you'd see in VisualBoy Advance or DeSmuMe.

Is there anything like that? Or am I stuck using my laptop to play these games?

If you want to play DS games in their native resolution, press and hold the (Select) or (Start) button after launching your DS game cart, DS flashcart, or TWLoader/DSiMenu++.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or am I stuck using my laptop to play these games?

My eyesight is also garbage now for DS games, I feel your pain. I find a used DSi XL's large dual IPS screens are very much worth it, now that it has CFW. Just make sure the system has flipnote already installed and you're good to go.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I know this is a necrobump, but since this is the first result in Google after Nintendo's website, and the scaling matrix hardware has been reverse engineered along with TWL_FIRM, it's possible to edit the filters, and some sharp filters have been made: https://gbatemp.net/threads/542694/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...