Is there any "safe" homebrew?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by strsqn, Aug 11, 2018.

1. strsqn
    OP

strsqn Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    Sweden
    From what I've read, it's possible to run a homebrew app to backup/restore your NAND with low risk of getting banned.

Are there any other apps I can run that have a low ban risk?

I want to run a SNES emulator. Is it possible to do this safely (low risk)?

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
  3. mick23242

mick23242 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    It is poss
    It is possible to do this, one good way to do it is to go run fbi, go to the "TitleDB" section, then search for an emulator cia that you would like to download.

4. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Backup/Restore of your NAND is possible and people have been doing it with success. You'd need the Hekate payload by CTCaer. However know that it is a risky operation and you should be fully prepared to accept that while restoring your NAND.
    I advise you to backup your NAND before starting doing anything homebrew related and to stay offline while using homebrew or do the necessary dns blocks as people were reportedly banned from only using emulators. My guess is it must have been the crash reports they experienced being sent to Nintendo but don't quote me on that.
    Also be careful with the clear logs thing as it will look suspicious to Nintendo that all of a sudden you went from having logs to having none. The current version of Hekate CFW by tomGER does include crash reports dumping on the SD card so you might be safe using that or the RajNX CFW which actually recently implemented the crash reports dumping feature onto the SD Card.

I don't think OP is referring to the 3DS.

5. mick23242

mick23242 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    oh, mb

6. BloodRose

BloodRose GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Emulation can be achieved using Lakka and that's the "safest" way to do it since it boots totally outside Horizon and doesn't use the system nand at all.

Honestly though, Switch emulation is currently in its infancy and isn't really fit for purpose yet. You would be better off just using a smartphone, a 3ds or a vita for portable emulation instead.

7. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    I've been playing snes and nes titles flawlessly. What's your malfunction?

8. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Not safely you haven't. At least not from Horizon anyway.

9. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    What does that have to do with what you said?

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Aug 11, 2018
  10. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Because what I said is still true. You can do basic retro emulation more easily and safely on other platforms.

11. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Well I have all the systems you mentioned yet I would still rather use the switch. So I have to disagree. Switch beats em all at retro gaming.

12. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    the fact that one of the replies was about FBI and this is the Switch forum?

13. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Why are you quoting me?

14. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    if you use homebrew you'll probably be fine, it's usually just piracy and online cheating that'll get you banned

Edit: so using a SNES emulator probably won't get you banned, although I'd still say use airplane mode while using it just to be extra safe

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, Aug 12, 2018
  15. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Because you asked a question, and I tried to answer while drunk and thinking about another post (and yes, I had to re-read the thread to understand myself...). It's called a brain fart. Just consider yourself lucky I didn't have a brain shart. :wacko:

:rofl2:

Last edited by urherenow, Aug 12, 2018