Hacking Is there any "safe" homebrew?

strsqn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
From what I've read, it's possible to run a homebrew app to backup/restore your NAND with low risk of getting banned.

Are there any other apps I can run that have a low ban risk?

I want to run a SNES emulator. Is it possible to do this safely (low risk)?

mick23242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is poss
From what I've read, it's possible to run a homebrew app to backup/restore your NAND with low risk of getting banned.

Are there any other apps I can run that have a low ban risk?

I want to run a SNES emulator. Is it possible to do this safely (low risk)?
It is possible to do this, one good way to do it is to go run fbi, go to the "TitleDB" section, then search for an emulator cia that you would like to download.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Backup/Restore of your NAND is possible and people have been doing it with success. You'd need the Hekate payload by CTCaer. However know that it is a risky operation and you should be fully prepared to accept that while restoring your NAND.
I advise you to backup your NAND before starting doing anything homebrew related and to stay offline while using homebrew or do the necessary dns blocks as people were reportedly banned from only using emulators. My guess is it must have been the crash reports they experienced being sent to Nintendo but don't quote me on that.
Also be careful with the clear logs thing as it will look suspicious to Nintendo that all of a sudden you went from having logs to having none. The current version of Hekate CFW by tomGER does include crash reports dumping on the SD card so you might be safe using that or the RajNX CFW which actually recently implemented the crash reports dumping feature onto the SD Card.

It is poss

It is possible to do this, one good way to do it is to go run fbi, go to the "TitleDB" section, then search for an emulator cia that you would like to download.

I don't think OP is referring to the 3DS.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Emulation can be achieved using Lakka and that's the "safest" way to do it since it boots totally outside Horizon and doesn't use the system nand at all.

Honestly though, Switch emulation is currently in its infancy and isn't really fit for purpose yet. You would be better off just using a smartphone, a 3ds or a vita for portable emulation instead.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not safely you haven't. At least not from Horizon anyway.
What does that have to do with what you said?
Isn't really fit for purpose yet. You would be better off just using a smartphone, a 3ds or a vita for portable emulation instead.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because what I said is still true. You can do basic retro emulation more easily and safely on other platforms.
Well I have all the systems you mentioned yet I would still rather use the switch. So I have to disagree. Switch beats em all at retro gaming.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you use homebrew you'll probably be fine, it's usually just piracy and online cheating that'll get you banned

Edit: so using a SNES emulator probably won't get you banned, although I'd still say use airplane mode while using it just to be extra safe

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you quoting me?
Because you asked a question, and I tried to answer while drunk and thinking about another post (and yes, I had to re-read the thread to understand myself...). It's called a brain fart. Just consider yourself lucky I didn't have a brain shart. :wacko:

:rofl2:

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr