Homebrew Is there any program that will let me play .flac files?

krej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All my music is in flac, and I just found out that moonshell doesn't play flac files which makes me sad. Is there any other program I can use to accomplish this?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No.

First of all, FLAC is lossless audio, there's probably too much info/data for it to process on the DS.

Second, your goal is to play high-quality lossless audio on a pair of low-quality, tiny, non-powered speakers. It's not going to sound any better than a 128kbps MP3, but it's going to take up about 10x the space on your MicroSD card.

Apparently Moonshell2 can play FLAC... but my second point stands: You're playing Lossless audio on very low quality, unpowered speakers.
The sound quality is going to bottleneck at the speakers giving you significant quality loss. You'd be better off with MP3s.

krej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dnniwa485 said:
you gotta be kidding,

are you reading the supported formats that moonshell2 can do?

Are you talkign to me, or the other guy? Cause the sticky thread says:
-Music Formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMA, TTA, MID, RCP, R36

Which I do not see flac listed there.
QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ May 20 2010, 08:35 PM) Second, your goal is to play high-quality lossless audio on a pair of low-quality, tiny, non-powered speakers. It's not going to sound any better than a 128kbps MP3, but it's going to take up about 10x the space on your MicroSD card.

Apparently Moonshell2 can play FLAC... but my second point stands: You're playing Lossless audio on very low quality, unpowered speakers.
The sound quality is going to bottleneck at the speakers giving you significant quality loss. You'd be better off with MP3s.

Yes, I know I won't be getting the best of sound quality from the DS, but I dont really care. I have the equipment to listen to flacs at their best quality on my computer, so all my music is already in flac format. I don't want to have to go and convert them all because I'm lazy like that. I'd rather not have portable music if it means having to convert my whole library.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
krej said:
dnniwa485 said:
you gotta be kidding,

are you reading the supported formats that moonshell2 can do?

Are you talkign to me, or the other guy? Cause the sticky thread says:
-Music Formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMA, TTA, MID, RCP, R36

Which I do not see flac listed there.
http://home.att.ne.jp/blue/moonlight/HTML/Readme_ENG.html
QUOTE said:
Support file formats.

Music formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMA, TTA, MID, RCP, R36, FLAC

krej said:
Yes, I know I won't be getting the best of sound quality from the DS, but I dont really care. I have the equipment to listen to flacs at their best quality on my computer, so all my music is already in flac format. I don't want to have to go and convert them all because I'm lazy like that. I'd rather not have portable music if it means having to convert my whole library.
Let's figure you have a 4GB MicroSD card.
4GB = 4096MB

FLAC = ~40MB/song
4096 / 40 = 102 songs

128kbps MP3 = ~6MB/song
4096 / 6 = 682 songs

It doesn't take THAT long to convert FLAC to MP3, and there's plenty of tools to do it automatically so you can set it to go and come back in an hour.

Anyway... your question was answered: Moonshell2 plays FLAC.
Converting to MP3 was just a suggestion based on a few factors (compatibility, quality and size).

QUOTE(jurassicplayer @ May 21 2010, 12:31 AM)
So did you actually attempt putting a .flac file on your mSD and seeing if Moonshell2 plays it, because it seems to play mine just fine?
krej doesn't specify Moonshell2, so maybe he's using the original Moonshell?

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
Heres the complete formats that MS2 can do:

QUOTE said:
Support formats. /.mp1/.mp2/.mp3/.mid/.rcp/.r36/.nsf/.gbs/.hes/.ay/.sap/.kss/.669/.far/.imf/.it/.med/.mod/.mtm/.okt/.s3m/.stm/.ult/.uni/.xm/.spc/.m4a/.mp4/.ogg/.ikm/.wma/.jpg/.jpe/.png/.psd/.gif/.bmp/.wav/.tta/.fla/.721

according to logbuf.txt

biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-