Hacking Is there a way to use savedatafiler with retail cartridges?

ishk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you want to change the items, there is a really looong and boring way! First lets say you have pokemon x so for the purpose of this were are going to call x1 to the cartridge game and x2 to the rom/cia so first in x1 you put a normal boring pokemon that nobody looks for it i.e. zigzagoon and you put the pokemon that you want in this case greninja in x2 you hack/obtain the pokemon that you want (greninja) and hack it legally right moves, right everything and shiny because its awesome then you put whatever you want to have for example leftovers (there is only one in game) and you look in the gts for a zigzagoon asking for the greninja (yours) and you change it.... its really slow! but is one way to change items with only one 3ds!!

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't like calling that so called "Custom Firmware," CFW.....

It's a modified NAND image running from removable storage. Nothing more.
I'm so sick of seeing shit like this, I think it's time I addressed it

Let's not argue about semantics. For all intents and purposes, and in the context we're using it, it's a CFW.

Everyone draws comparisons to the PSP as "proof" that modified emuNAND on the 3DS isn't a CFW.

Well I've got news for you; the CFW on the PSP isn't Custom Firmware either.

Because neither are firmware at all but instead, are system software. You wouldn't say that Windows 8 is your PC's firmware would you? No, of course you wouldn't, that'd be fucking ridiculous.

The Oxford Dictionary defines Firmware as
FIRMWARE
Line breaks: firm|ware
Pronunciation: /ˈfəːmwɛː /

Permanent software programmed into a read-only memory (aka ROM for the slow folk).
For your convenience I've highlighted the key words that show that the modified system software on the PSP is not "Custom Firmware".

So now we've established that, in the context of console hacking, a CFW is actually modified or custom system software.

Whether that system software being modified resides on the NAND itself (sysNAND), or an emulated version of it (emuNAND), is irrelevant.

Therefore custom or modified system software on the 3DS is, in the context we're using it, Custom Firmware.

sparky28000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm so sick of seeing shit like this, I think it's time I addressed it

Let's not argue about semantics. For all intents and purposes, and in the context we're using it, it's a CFW.

Everyone draws comparisons to the PSP as "proof" that modified emuNAND on the 3DS isn't a CFW.

Well I've got news for you; the CFW on the PSP isn't Custom Firmware either.

Because neither are firmware at all but instead, are system software. You wouldn't say that Windows 8 is your PC's firmware would you? No, of course you wouldn't, that'd be fucking ridiculous.

The Oxford Dictionary defines Firmware as

For your convenience I've highlighted the key words that show that the modified system software on the PSP is not "Custom Firmware".

So now we've established that, in the context of console hacking, a CFW is actually modified or custom system software.

Whether that system software being modified resides on the NAND itself (sysNAND), or an emulated version of it (emuNAND), is irrelevant.

Therefore custom or modified system software on the 3DS is, in the context we're using it, Custom Firmware.

Thank you for the lengthy clarification. The first time I heard about jail breaking a phone I though they were going to break a phone out of jail. Good this that isn't correct either because I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP

No where in my post, did a draw any comparison to other consumer electronic devices.

Thank you for your lengthy and somewhat aggressive reply, unfortunately though, it doesn't change my opinion.

You raise good points, my friend. But until i can power on my 3DS, as i do everyday with my CFW PS3, and boot directly into my modified system menu, complete with ROM loading and homebrew launching capabilities, i won't ever see it is true "Custom Firmware"

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I'm going to double post here and pose a question to GBATemp, I've setup the "4.5 CFW" on my EUR 3DS and successfully installed savedatafiler to the home screen.

But everytime I insert my US alpha sapphire cart or EU pokemon X, savedatafiler shows '-- Broken --' on the bottom screen.

When i insert a EUR card 1 cart, savedatafiler can extract the save data without a problem.

Anyone know the explanation why this is occurring? Does savedatafiler just not work for legitimate card 2 carts?

laurorual

What are you looking for?
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm going to double post here and pose a question to GBATemp, I've setup the "4.5 CFW" on my EUR 3DS and successfully installed savedatafiler to the home screen.

But everytime I insert my US alpha sapphire cart or EU pokemon X, savedatafiler shows '-- Broken --' on the bottom screen.

When i insert a EUR card 1 cart, savedatafiler can extract the save data without a problem.

Anyone know the explanation why this is occurring? Does savedatafiler just not work for legitimate card 2 carts?

i think that's the case. If we could get SDF working in a newer FW it would be able to read the savefile tho.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

if you played them on a 6.x+ updated console, you cannot extract them on a 4.x console
in regards to the whole "cfw" stuff....got to agree, a lotof people are taking liberties with the term custom firmware....the firmware that is on the SD is not custom, patches are applied on the fly when you boot into it, the FW, is stock, the patches are not, but they are also not part of the FW........idk, people like easy to understand terms, CFW in most peoples eyes = mode that allows roms to be loaded into it

imo, CFW would
A) have to be booted into when you power on the system or its not truly the systems FW, more like a virtual machine sort of thing.
and B) have to be actually modified/customized files, not just on-the-fly patches applied.

but idk, people will just go with what they understand, and for most people its CFW = a alternative FW, they dont care much for the specific, if its a menu that does something other than what the normal one does, its CFW!

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
i think that's the case. If we could get SDF working in a newer FW it would be able to read the savefile tho.

Thank you for your reply.

if you played them on a 6.x+ updated console, you cannot extract them on a 4.x console

OK, this makes sense because the save game was created within Gateways classic mode.

in regards to the whole "cfw" stuff....

Good to see another beleiver in my cause :bow: Calling a modified NAND image that takes multiple button presses and a heap of luck to run from an SD card, a 'Custom Firmware" hurts my ears just as much as calling PS3 hacks 'Jailbreaking' :wacko:

Reactions: xdarkmario

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    Veho @ Veho: Ah, you mean furries.