Homebrew Is there a way to transfer save files from data of another none moded 3ds?

CostaRic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So my New 3ds got soaked and the motherboard died, but I replaced it, but everything was gone, I still got my old data on the SD card and just recently decided to instal CFW into it.

I used the FredMiner method, so I got Luma 3DS and everything is working great. I got Checkpoint installed and was wondering if I can somehow transfer the old save files to my newly moded console.

I have looked around but havent found much in this specific circumstance.

I mostly ask because I had really high level characters in Monster hunter 4 Ultimate and Generations and now all that is gone. :/

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Missingphy : Games and save data are encrypted with a console unique key. The saves need to be decrypted before re-encrypting them on the new device (with a save manager)
Just to make extra sure I just tried it.Moving a save file from one device to another gives the "save data corrupted - save will be erased message." for any software. (Think of the seedminer process – it is needed to get movable.sed and prepare files for a specific console)

Easy method:
==========
If you backed up your saves with JKSM or Checkpoint (like you should from time to time) before the water damage:
1. Install all games you want to restore the saves
2. Put the OLD_SD:/3ds/Checkpoint and/or OLD_SD:/JKSV on the NEW_SD of the working device and just restore with one or both apps

Harder method:
===========
With a NAND-backup (which contains movable.sed) or the movable.sed file directly you can mount the
SD:/Nintendo 3DS/ folder and backup the saves (and extdata if any) in decrypted form with ninfs (formally fuse-3ds)

https://github.com/ihaveamac/ninfs

However, restoring might need the help of a save manager if anti-cheat/anti-save-restore is used by your games (to repair secure value).

CostaRic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@KleinesSinchen: Thanks for the input, but all this is really confusing since I just modded my 3ds (excuse me for my ignorance).

So what I could understand is that for the easy method I would of needed a modded N3DS before it broke (wich I didnt so that doesnt work)

The harder method is about a way to de-encript and re-encript the save data.

At least that is what I got. Is there a way I could use this harder way to restore my save files somehow? Monster Hunter Generations is on a cartridge by the way if that matters(though it seems it saves on the SD).

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So the destroyed device was not hacked at all and you do not have a NAND backup and/or the file movable.sed? This is bad.

You need a way to decrypt the old (ext)data. While ninfs can do this, it requires "movable.sed".

If you still have the friend code (did somebody add you to their friend list?) of the defect N3DS, movable.sed can – as far as I know – be recovered with seedminer.

The only other option I can think of– if you still have the defective console – would be board level repair: Trying to revive the water damaged device at least to the point where movable.sed can be retrieved.
This last option needs expensive equipment, a very skilled technician and luck.

CostaRic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea a friend still got (I think) my old friend code. They dis gave it to me when I was trying to recover my NNID.

What is the procedure I must follow? I guess I get the movable.sed the way I got it for my recent hack right?

If you could point me to a guide or something that would be awsome because I REALLY want to get back my save files. I hadAround 500hours poured into both Monster Huner Gen and Ultimate.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mmmhm. If I would have to do it, it would most likely be a lot of trial an error – and it does not look very easy.

1. (recommended) Backup the data from the old SD – just to have a second copy if something bad happens. Also backup any save on the actual cartridge(s) with JKSM and/or Checkpoint before modification

2. (Hopefully) restore your movable.sed with the friend code and ID0
https://bruteforcemovable.com/

3. Setup ninfs; see here: (this is some work)
https://github.com/ihaveamac/ninfs
https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract...nd-backups-and-sd-contents-with-ninfs.499994/

4. Mount the “Nintendo 3DS” folder from the defect console with ninfs. Read only should be enough. Because you mentioned “Monster Hunter Generations” was a cartridge version, the data you are searching is most likely in “extdata”. So copy the complete extdata folder to some location on your HDD

Here is a thread with a similar case (I did not yet read fully it). Keep in mind ninfs was called fuse-3ds at the time this thread was created:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/question-restoring-save-backup-from-before-cfw.523015/

Good luck!

CostaRic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For the movable.sed I can get the Friend Code and ID0, but I don't know if adding the bot to my friend list with the current friend code I have will have any difference or issues as I am not completely sure as how it works. I deleted the bot from my friend list and re-registered it get the file but it didn't work, apparently you can only add him once, then it asks that your friend (the bot) should also add you to their friend list staying in a loop. I guess it adds the friend code you placed in the first place, so I believe getting the movable.sed seems impossible with this method at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, u sure you arent a preteen?