Homebrew Is there a Theme editor for Linux?

Wrathalos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title states, I'm looking for a theme editor like YATA+ for Linux. Is there possibly one or any tutorials as to build one from within a linux environment? I'm looking more specifically to make bgm's for themes and I've yet to find any tutorials, programs, etc. that aren't windows-based. If I knew how to remove .net requirements from YATA+ I'd port that, but I don't know much C#/C++.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
C# is going to be .net, regardless. That's what both YATA+ and Usagire's editor are coded in. I'm a full time linux user, and I've already been through the hoops, so:

Neither YATA+ nor Usagirei's editor will run on Linux with Mono. It's due to missing functionality.

YATA+ is partially functional in WINE, but expect some things to break. Usagirei's editor won't even run on WINE since WPF is missing in wine-mono and utterly broken in native .net. I've resorted to editing my themes in a VM.

If you want to port something - which isn't going to be fun - your best bet is to port Usagirei's editor onto Gtk#. I thought about whether to do it and decided it was too much effort.

Skyforce77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
C# is going to be .net, regardless. That's what both YATA+ and Usagire's editor are coded in. I'm a full time linux user, and I've already been through the hoops, so:

Neither YATA+ nor Usagirei's editor will run on Linux with Mono. It's due to missing functionality.

YATA+ is partially functional in WINE, but expect some things to break. Usagirei's editor won't even run on WINE since WPF is missing in wine-mono and utterly broken in native .net. I've resorted to editing my themes in a VM.

If you want to port something - which isn't going to be fun - your best bet is to port Usagirei's editor onto Gtk#. I thought about whether to do it and decided it was too much effort.
YATA+ works under wine with tiny glitches. It can be used but a fully supported soft would be cool

Last edited by Skyforce77,

Giantblargg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to get YATA+ running under mono by removing all parts of the program that relied on WMP. So no sound processing but everything else worked.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get YATA+ running under mono by removing all parts of the program that relied on WMP. So no sound processing but everything else worked.
Seriously? It relies on WMP? Oh God, that's such a rookie programmer maneuver. This is why .NET is bad. It promotes poor programming behaviors. There are other ways of processing audio with .NET other than WMP, but utilizing the WMP control is the laziest way of doing it.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? It relies on WMP? Oh God, that's such a rookie programmer maneuver. This is why .NET is bad. It promotes poor programming behaviors. There are other ways of processing audio with .NET other than WMP, but utilizing the WMP control is the laziest way of doing it.

No kidding. So very dumb. Even when it's written for windows, that's dumb since the N editions exist, which lack WMP.

Mind sharing a patch? Might be useful for anyone wishing to compile it for mono. It'd also make it very easy to identify the incorrect code and fix it.

Giantblargg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mind sharing a patch? Might be useful for anyone wishing to compile it for mono. It'd also make it very easy to identify the incorrect code and fix it.

I'm not sure I have it anymore. I'll take a look.

EDIT: Looks like newer versions of YATA+ no longer use WMP, using NAudio instead. The only problems left are that they use backslashes as folder separators while linux uses foward slashes, and that windows are not formatted correctly for the mono interpretation of winforms, leaving some elements off-screen.

Last edited by Giantblargg,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!