Is there a point in hacking the Switch?

Exotical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like there is no point in hacking the switch, it's so tedious and risky for something that doesn't even do much.
EDIT: After seeing your replies, I'd say there is a point, but I'm not really that wanting for a tedious process, if I ever hack my switch, I'll take what you guys said into consideration, thank you!

Last edited by Exotical,

Exotical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know why you think it doesn't do much, mine does plenty :unsure:
The Switch already has good emulation support, and alot of games. Hacking your switch is so risky, you could destroy your device, get banned, and worse. It's also too annoying to hack for little.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then don't hack your switch...?

If you find no value in doing it then just don't do it. We aren't forcing you to hack your switch at Gunpoint.

Posting about it just kinda makes you look like an ass. "Look at me I'm superior because I don't wanna hack my Switch and risk getting banned by daddy Nintendo."

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I personally mod my switch to experiment with it and run my own code on it and also to do things like streaming my splatoon rounds on discord or online, and increase the frame stability a bit with overclocks.
About the ban risk, it depends a bit on what you are doing. If you don't pirate and only do things like streaming or using homebrew, its relativelly low, even when using cfw while going online.
If you want to use backups of switch games, you need to use an emunand and stay offline on it to be safe.

I myself don't use backups, so I'm in CFW 100% of the time on both of my switches and that for multiple years now. No ban yet.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch already has good emulation support, and alot of games. Hacking your switch is so risky, you could destroy your device, get banned, and worse. It's also too annoying to hack for little.
A modded switch can do quite a bit. Emulating the Switch may be possible, but the portability and convenience cannot be emulated.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A modded switch can do quite a bit. Emulating the Switch may be possible, but the portability and convenience cannot be emulated.

True, unless your emulating device is also portable.

1280x720.jpg

Reactions: Aatube and Muliro

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone has or wants a steam deck though
Hey there's like... 100k's of us! Maybe we can get to half the Wii U numbers!!!!

Some of the AAA Switch games aren't running fullspeed under Yuzu anyway. CemU runs great though, that's got to be at least half the Switch exclusives right there.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This has always been the case, even flashcarts came with the risk of bricking the NDS (N5 had a risk of blowing a fuse.) Those calculated risks are just the cost of hacking. I've found a lot of use out of hacking my Switch and learned to avoid most of the risks by listening to people who know what they are talking about. Most of the problems we see in this community come from people messing with shit that they don't understand. Most of the "bricks" are often someone ignoring an obvious step and panicking. Most of the problems are literally user errors. This isn't to say there isn't a risk but a good chuck of the risks are avoidable.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the main reason I'm not interested in exploiting the switch, ps5, or series x is that I wouldn't play any games. the unit(s) would just become another test system, to exploit then never play anything. I think I have around 70 hours playtime on the ps3, 360, and ps4 combined over the span of about 15 years.

Reactions: pinbi7

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do it so I have nearly every cool game portable until I finally get the steamdeck. Also it is nice to have save editors, homebrews, plugins etc. don’t really know what you want more. From my point of view with nintendos garbage online service, there is no need to have a stock switch :D

btw I would argue that a normal everyday „stability“ update is more likely to result in a bricked switch, at least if Auto Rom doesn’t count. Since one of the first steps is a nand backup you are actually on a much safer, too. Combine that with emunand and you should be good to go and you can also go online with it.

Last edited by Esdeath,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, unless your emulating device is also portable.

1280x720.jpg
wish people who stop acting like steam deck actually runs switch well. its a downgrade when it comes to playing switch games most games require you to even lower the resolution below what the switch can handle (540P or lower) to even make them playable. I know first hand
I feel like there is no point in hacking the switch, it's so tedious and risky for something that doesn't even do much.
yeah increasing the cpu/gpu/ram speeds, 60fps patches, and graphic mods are totally useless....

Last edited by deathblade200,

StringIsNullOrEmpty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I'm kicking myself for not hacking it earlier. My eMMC died and I lost all my saves, some like animal crossing cannot be backed up online so it's gone for good.

Hack you switch, back your shit up. Ninty is an ass for not allowing all games to be cloud-save-compatible.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kicking myself for not hacking it earlier. My eMMC died and I lost all my saves, some like animal crossing cannot be backed up online so it's gone for good.

Hack you switch, back your shit up. Ninty is an ass for not allowing all games to be cloud-save-compatible.
that's what happened to me also. I immediately got nso with my replacement from Nintendo. that's why I have psn+ as well, but the free shipping on psn plus stuff and lots of free games is a good extra too. the only game that I have a save for that can't be backed up is super lucky's tale. I bought it after reading a review of it on this site, good, but easy game. the only thing I had trouble with was the last boss.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
that's what happened to me also. I immediately got nso with my replacement from Nintendo. that's why I have psn+ as well, but the free shipping on psn plus stuff and lots of free games is a good extra too. the only game that I have a save for that can't be backed up is super lucky's tale. I bought it after reading a review of it on this site, good, but easy game. the only thing I had trouble with was the last boss.
Super lucky's tale is also better with hacks to fix the performance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1