Hacking Is there a hack to allow shutting off the Wii with the remote

j103

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep my Wii in a case out of reach of children or other people, and use my remote to turn it on and off. Is there a way to turn it off via the remote while playing a gamecube game?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
trumpet-205 said:
Maybe Gamecube mode disables Wiimote support? If that is the case then there is no hack to do so.

Yes, When your Wii is in gamecube mode, Your Wii becomes A "Gamecube". So Wiimotes will never work.

There are powersockets on the market wich allow on/off switching via an remote.
You can use that.

41976.jpg

j103

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
GameCube Mode indeed disables the Wii Remote entirely, so I'm not sure if a hack is possible.
They said the same thing about the USB ports.

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
j103 said:
CarbonX13 said:
GameCube Mode indeed disables the Wii Remote entirely, so I'm not sure if a hack is possible.

Changing around the System Menu would probably be required to make this hack possible. Maybe devs would even have to program a new GameCube Mode for the Wii that allows custom preferences, such as cheats, slowdown, fast forward, classic controller support, etc.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when in "gamecube mode" there is no bluetooth driver. bluetooth relies on the USB stuff. so, one would have to hack in USB support, then add a bluetooth driver.

on top of that, you would want the wii to remember which wiimotes are synced, so you would want it to read their ID from the settings file in the nand. so now you have to hack in the ability to read blocks from the nand. but those are encrypted, so you need to slap in a bunch of stuff to decrypt them.

by the time youve done all this, you have written a large portion of IOS.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
j103 said:
CarbonX13 said:

You can do that with Priiloader.

In settings just set ignore standby.
When shutting off the wii with the wiimote, it will shut off completely.

*EDIT* Misunderstood question...

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hielkenator said:
j103 said:
CarbonX13 said:

but not in gamecube mode, it basically makes your wii a gamecube, and gamecubes didnt have bluetooth or the ability to turn off with a remote. No priiloader setting will change this.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
when in "gamecube mode" there is no bluetooth driver. bluetooth relies on the USB stuff. so, one would have to hack in USB support, then add a bluetooth driver.

on top of that, you would want the wii to remember which wiimotes are synced, so you would want it to read their ID from the settings file in the nand. so now you have to hack in the ability to read blocks from the nand. but those are encrypted, so you need to slap in a bunch of stuff to decrypt them.

In other words, to make wiimotes work in gamecube mode you would have to solve the ARAM problem and finish DIOS-MIOS.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
CarbonX13 said:
j103 said:
CarbonX13 said:
And look at the current state of DIOS MIOS... it's not really something 'ideal' as of right now.
dios mios is for sneek you idiot
sneek replaces ios in starlet making A SHIT TON possible
without sneek (or any ios replacement) its impossible

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
person66 said:
Hielkenator said:
j103 said:
CarbonX13 said:

but not in gamecube mode, it basically makes your wii a gamecube, and gamecubes didnt have bluetooth or the ability to turn off with a remote. No priiloader setting will change this.

If you read closer you've understood I was referring to the USB ports. In Wii mode. If you do the hack in preloader you shut off your connected HD drive too. ( otherwise it keeps sp nning) Don't get why you thought I was talking about GC mode. Gamecube has nothing to do with USB, physically not possible so..

Next time read all my post in this thread before replying, you've just said what I said a few post before.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
do they still sell those thingys that activate and deactivate devices by clapping? you might wanna try one of these

or the IR thing, just nail the remote next to your wiis case

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
giantpune said:

All that time researching and coding, when you could have just dragged your ass off the couch and turned it off *gasp* manually
wink.gif

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
rolandpibb said:
giantpune said:

All that time researching and coding, when you could have just dragged your ass off the couch and turned it off *gasp* manually
wink.gif

All that time typing when you could have actually read *gasp* the OP.

His Wii is in a closed case and is inaccessible.

This has been thoroughly answered. Although this may seem like a simple request, as giantpune stated, something as seemingly simple as what you're asking for is actually in some aspects more work than DIOS-MIOS (the trade-off being having to write a bluetooth stack from scratch while not having to deal with the mess of patching games or redirecting disk I/O...). Yes, you can access Wii hardware from inside "Gamecube Mode" but it's not nearly the open door solution that most people who are into the Wii scene but don't understand the technical aspects behind it all have grown accustomed to. Sure, it's possible, but nobody's going to put in that kind of effort. MINI doesn't even have a bluetooth stack, and that would have way more practical application than creating one for a cMIOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using...