Hardware Is there a good Custom PC Builder?

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Becuase, im not confident of building my own, and most of the things i do, i only do half and i just give up if i cant do that certain thing(adding coolerts to CPU, etc.). And its my first time too.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
(One more post to 1000^^)

It is very easy to build your own. Almost all of the cables can only go in 1 way, the hardest is wiring up the on/off switch (just find 'Power +' on the wire and 'Power +' on your mobo)

CPU coolers can be on just about any way, you have to apply a little pressure to get the tabs to lock.

You have to make sure that your mobo IS NOT GROUNDED by touching any metal. There should be brass nuts on your mobo tray, that line up to holes on the mobo.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
www.ecollegepc.com

Just wanted to add: The hardware part of building a computer is not hard. But setting up the BIOS, installing your OS and all the drivers is pure hell.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Here is a good guide for building it yourself.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1444&page=1

You should build it yourself it's not as complicated as it seems. It is a satisfying experience once you get everything working and you can say "I made this" to all your friends.
also you will know your PC better than anybody else and when it comes to solving future problems or upgrading your PC you will be better placed.

Lee79

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
www.ecollegepc.com

Just wanted to add: The hardware part of building a computer is not hard. But setting up the BIOS, installing your OS and all the drivers is pure hell.

Yeah SavageWaffle when you get to installing the Operating system and setting up the BIOS and Drivers or building make a new post if you get stuck.
rolleyes.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
The hardest part of me was installing the LGA775 cooler as well. I suggest getting a third party cooler with a mounting bracket to avoid the snapping mechanism

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So the BIOS part is hard? I'v never built a computer or even seen one being built. How hard is building the BIOS+Installing OS?
Do i just pop the CD in, and install?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BIOS isn't hard at all, you probably won't have to mess with it. Just make sure to have your optical drive's jumper set to master (instructions on the drive), and have the XP or Vista disk in when you start it.

Lee79

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
SavageWaffle said:
So the BIOS part is hard? I'v never built a computer or even seen one being built. How hard is building the BIOS+Installing OS?

Now you said that I think maybe you should get someone else to install the Operating system for you. I hope you will do some research and try to do yourself. Have a read through this http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Installing+Windows+XP.

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lee79 said:
SavageWaffle said:

Now you said that I think maybe you should get someone else to install the Operating system for you. I hope you will do some research and try to do yourself. Have a read through this http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Installing+Windows+XP.

So that all i have to do? Thats looks pretty easy.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
None of it's too difficult.

Basically slot the stuff in, won't take more than a few hours. Installing the OS is as simple as pressing a keyboard shortcut when booting up (the BIOS) and selecting boot from CD and following the setup.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the hardware part is the most difficult. The only trouble you get when you start installing OS is hardware trouble (my HDD was bad but I didn't know that until my second time trying to install Vista :/)

Lee79

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
SavageWaffle said:
Lee79 said:
SavageWaffle said:

So that all i have to do? Thats looks pretty easy.

After you have installed Windows XP or Vista you have to load up windows then put in the CD-ROM that comes with your Motherboard. This has the Motherboard Drivers also known as Chipset Drivers and also Drivers for the on-board (on the Motherboard) Network and and on-board Sound Card. Then if you get any discs with your graphics card you have to load up that CD-ROM and install all the Drivers for that also. If you installed Windows XP download and install Service pack 3 for XP after that. Then your good to go.
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro