Hacking Is the Supercard DS One picky about memory cards?

lalalalala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently purchased a Kingston Taiwan microsd. Yes, I realized that I probably should have gotten a Japan one but I think the Taiwan was cheaper. Does it really matter? I've read some posts about not being able to play FF: Crystal Chronicals properly, would that be a very likely problem I'll experience? What about other games? If there are problems, can they be fixed?

Thanks

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two Kingston 2GB MicroSDs, one is made in Taiwan and one is made in Japan. I tested them both in identical configurations using cf_bench, and the difference was extremely negligible:

Japan:
0.646ms RAT

Taiwan:
0.662ms RAT

Yes, a .02ms difference. That's not going to cause Castlevania to skip.
smile.gif

Any authentic Kingston microSD is a good buy. If you can, try to get a Japan-made one...but if not, don't fret.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lalalalala said:
I recently purchased a Kingston Taiwan microsd. Yes, I realized that I probably should have gotten a Japan one but I think the Taiwan was cheaper. Does it really matter? I've read some posts about not being able to play FF: Crystal Chronicals properly, would that be a very likely problem I'll experience? What about other games? If there are problems, can they be fixed?

Thanks
No, it can only give you freeze problems in Castlevania: PoR, but every single flashcart has that problem, so it's nothing strange
tongue.gif

To avoid the problem in FF:CC you just have to "Disable Patching" in the system menu and you're fine, it has nothing to do with the memory
tongue.gif

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you will have slowdown with the Kingston Taiwan but you can improve on it buy
setting the SD speed to 17 & formatting the memory card to FAT with 64k clusters

if you use windows do this to format your memory card

Go to: Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc

Select your SD card and right-click "Format"

* Volume Label: Whatever you like
* File System: FAT
* Allocation unit size: 64k

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, according to what I've read elsewhere and here, the problem with the non-Japan flash cards is that while they may start off with decent random access latencies when empty or nearly empty the latency increases drastically at the card becomes filled while a Japan made card tends to have relatively constant latency.

I should also add, that I don't think that this is true with some of the SDHC cards as I believe the best card ATM, the A-Data 4GB is made in Taiwan.

As to FFCCRoF, some users claim that they have had problems with it even in run in "clean mode". IIRC Minox IX on the official forum mentioned that it would run from his 1GB Japan uSD, but not his 2GB Japan uSD. In any event if you have problems, I'd suggest grabbing jmr's updated ndinfo.dat file, and his 2107.scc file which I believe has the action replay "cheat"/"fix" for the Thanks for playing screen. Site is sccheats.co.uk (might be w/o the s on cheat though, but there is a sticky in the official forum that has the link).

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the MoD screen in my SCDS1 even if patching is disabled. So I just switched to my Evo to play it.

I didn't know jmr updated is cheats though. Now I can switch back to my SCDS1. Although...I have been liking how fast the games start in the Evo compared to the SCDS1. Hmm...the Supercard Team really needs to get that fixed.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DespizingU said:
I get the MoD screen in my SCDS1 even if patching is disabled. So I just switched to my Evo to play it.

I didn't know jmr updated is cheats though. Now I can switch back to my SCDS1. Although...I have been liking how fast the games start in the Evo compared to the SCDS1. Hmm...the Supercard Team really needs to get that fixed.
That's why I didn't bother to try testing it on the SCDS1 SDHC as well, because I already had my Evolution in the DS and was just too lazy to switch and test. Plus, Minox IX seems to be reliable and reported that it was working on the SCDS1 w/patching disabled.

In any event, jmr has a 2107.scc file which should have the AR "fix", but you probably should also grab his latest ndsinfo.dat to go with it for now.

Also I see that a SP3 is supposed to be out this week, which also lists a FFCCRoF fix as part of the changelist.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
cutterjohn said:
DespizingU said:

That's why I didn't bother to try testing it on the SCDS1 SDHC as well, because I already had my Evolution in the DS and was just too lazy to switch and test. Plus, Minox IX seems to be reliable and reported that it was working on the SCDS1 w/patching disabled.

In any event, jmr has a 2107.scc file which should have the AR "fix", but you probably should also grab his latest ndsinfo.dat to go with it for now.

Also I see that a SP3 is supposed to be out this week, which also lists a FFCCRoF fix as part of the changelist.
Os3 Sp 3 is out now...

I'm wondering if anyone with a slow microsd (Sandisk (Taiwan) for example) could try out Castlevania Portrait of Ruin with DMA enabled and report their results.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-