Hardware Misc Is the static buzzing sound from DS lite when charging normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elezzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that 5/6 of the DS lites I just tested have a faint buzzing sound when they're charging whilst powered on, all of them have a very faint buzzing sound from speakers when unplugged but it gets louder and changes frequency when plugged in, I've also noticed that its slightly louder/quieter from the different consoles.

Does anyone know if this is normal or what causes it?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Buzzing sound during charge, regardless of any device, means that there's a high current going through the cable, outlet or charger.

I don't think it's a DS problem.
Might be your outlet/wallplug.

If using a Power Chord or something alike, it means that it's made of cheap materials that can't accept the high current, and might burn later if used constantly.

If you're getting the same buzzing sound with other outlets/wallplugs, it means that your charger can't handle the current that's being fed.

Reactions: Nikokaro

elezzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buzzing sound during charge, regardless of any device, means that there's a high current going through the cable, outlet or charger.

If using a Power Chord or something alike, it means that it's made of cheap materials that can't accept the high current, and might burn later if used constantly.

If you're getting the same buzzing sound with other outlets/wallplugs, it means that your charger can't handle the current that's being fed.
Charger is definitely cheap, and definitely will burn out someday. but it is also only 5.2 volts so to my understanding it would be impossible for it to supply too much current unless voltage was increased somehow or the resistance of the charging circuit itself lowered (ohms law) so I don't see how too much current could be the problem.

Also as I said it happens even when they're not plugged in as well just quieter...

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow..TIL this explains quite a few things growing up with cheap chargers my family got me some would buzz/him quite loud and get pretty warm before breaking a week or two after

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all of them have a very faint buzzing sound from speakers when unplugged but it gets louder and changes frequency when plugged in

Everyone is focusing on the charger but I think they've missed the bolded part. Have you popped them open to check for any loose connections? A wire or ribbon cable could be picking up interference from somewhere on the board or they might need to be reseated.

Does anyone know if this is normal or what causes it?
Bent ribbon cables for the top screen can also cause this, just unbend them.

Last edited by raging_chaos,
Reactions: elezzar

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Everyone is focusing on the charger but I think they've missed the bolded part. Have you popped them open to check for any loose connections? A wire or ribbon cable could be picking up interference from somewhere on the board or they might need to be reseated.

He tested 5/6 DS Lites, and you think it is DS problem?

Maybe his home has poor grounding. It's very common.

Reactions: Nikokaro

elezzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Seems unlikely all five of these have bent ribbon cables but I'll give it a shot on the worst sounding one and let you know how it goes
Post automatically merged:

He tested 5/6 DS Lites, and you think it is DS problem?

Maybe his home has poor grounding. It's very common.
I've tried with wall outlet and USB from my laptop alike, pretty sure its not my home.

And as I said it happens even when they're not plugged in just a lot fainter

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even six DS lite consoles? Are you collecting them?
As for me, my Pink DS lite is charged silently using its original charger. As they have already suggested, it must depend on your cheap charger.
I mean, first the light fluctuating from green to red, now this strange hissing sound: can it be that all misfortunes happen to you? 🤔
Besides, what do you do with 6 DSs? Do you leave them there unused to gather dust? By doing so, you take them away from some poor guy who would dearly love one, can't find it, and would know how to use it with more profit and satisfaction. 🧐
🤣🤣🤣Of course, I'm joking.🤣🤣🤣
😉

elezzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I feel stupid now. But turns out it was both the cheap power adapter and my R4 card, the time I tested with USB from my laptop it booted straight to ysmenu instead of the home menu and I changed this later and never tested USB on the home screen.

anyway if that didn't make sense short version is I tested it wrong and it turns out everything is fine and the main issue with the sound was the cheap power adapter probably providing an unstable voltage which was causing some kind of interference and apparently ysmenu can make some noise on R4i SDHC cards

I have a hunch there was also some slight magnetic interference

But thank you all very much for your help and information I really appreciate it

Even six DS lite consoles? Are you collecting them?
As for me, my Pink DS lite is charged silently using its original charger. As they have already suggested, it must depend on your cheap charger.
I mean, first the light fluctuating from green to red, now this strange hissing sound: can it be that all misfortunes happen to you? 🤔
Besides, what do you do with 6 DSs? Do you leave them there unused to gather dust? By doing so, you take them away from some poor guy who would dearly love one, can't find it, and would know how to use it with more profit and satisfaction. 🧐
🤣🤣🤣Of course, I'm joking.🤣🤣🤣
😉
I'm actually working on restoring them fully to resell, I bought a big lot off eBay and I was surprised most were just sent in for screen yellowing and some had perfect shells 7/10 worked right out of the box and I'm halfway through reshelling another that's in about perfect condition besides the shell but I didn't realize the shell didn't come with the top adhesive for the screen lens so Im waiting on that order now

Despite that its been very fun trying to fix them up

THAT BUZZING IS NORMAL (The buzzing coming from your consoles)

What's "not normal" is the buzzing coming from plugged stuff to electric outlets.
Oh okay I gotcha sorry I misunderstood. good to know the first buzzing you mentioned is normal

TT

Thanks for the tip even if it didn't come in handy this time I'm sure it will in the future

Last edited by elezzar,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol