1. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    atmos is exactly the same it by passes nintendos official firmware that allows users to pirate.

same as sx os, but neither provide pirated content.

atmos like sx os provide keys for later firmware support.

there is no question about it, both are illegal.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

you do know sx os came before atmos right?

and you do know loads of people share work and include it in other projects.

i use both and will always say sx os is far easier to use, no fucking about like atmos each time theres and update, sx simply grab a single file and thats it.

mikefor20 and Fred Molyneux like this.
  2. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    sxos uses atmosphere cfw. I know how they work and differ I use both my friend :) atmosphere isn't illegal it only breaks the TOS otherwise Scires M would be doing court time

3. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    LOL sx os uses a cfw that didnt exist when sx os came out, stop been a wet towel.

and both allow piracy, only difference in the two is atmos only allows nps files.

both allow you to play games you dont own, so both are illegal end of.

go play with your toy cars as you clearly know nothing.

Fred Molyneux likes this.
  4. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Yes, if you even look at the SXOS website, the FBI will kick your door in within 15 minutes!

GuyInDogSuit and Nerdtendo like this.
  5. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Welp this thread is turning into a shitstorm lol I hope the OP got his answer.

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  6. Nerdtendo

OP Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    He did thanks. Now it's just entertainment

7. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It was a great idea lol Thank you for the entertainment :rofl2:

Welllllll it did come out before AMS was ready. I give you that. I used sxos for piracy and ordered it day 1. But even so, it used AMS day one as well. Neither CFW is bad. They have their pros and cons, but its just user preference.

Last edited by Biff627, Aug 3, 2020
    GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  8. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    true, but for the snowflakes that hate sx just because they have a free option, the fact remains both are just as illegal.

to the op, he likely got banned because of the freeloaders that hate sx os, tho it has better features (no proof of stolen as we all know people that make features like to share)

9. Nerdtendo

OP Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    Since I have everyone's attention, has anybody been able to use sys-clk/Tesla on sxos?

10. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There's years worth of proof for anyone curious. Just because Atmosphere wasn't completed yet doesn't mean that SXOS didn't take code from them. Atmosphere was open source and publicly accessible during its creation. In addition, there were related projects such as the homebrew loader which were already completed and hence taken by SXOS.

Last edited by ChaosEternal, Aug 3, 2020
    Resaec, Coathanger08, Schnida and 4 others like this.
  11. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

United States
    Have you been living under a rock?

Nintendo has been explicitly going after SXOS modchip distributors for a while now (src 1, src 2), and also took measures to have a number of TX's sites blocked in the UK (src 3).

Ironic.

Atmosphere's github has been public since Jan 2018, and SXOS released 5 months later.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Aug 3, 2020
    Resaec, GuyInDogSuit and ghjfdtg like this.
  12. comput3rus3r
    This message by comput3rus3r has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Aug 5, 2020, Reason: A little too graphic for this thread.
    Aug 3, 2020
  13. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Short sumary of my perspective, why SXOS is a problematic topic:
    * SXOS contains keys from Nintendo, which are at least a dark gray area, but depending on the county can be illegal already. It also comes with build in signature patches, which in itself can also be a problem depending on the country you are in.
    * SXOS contains atmosphere code, licenced under the GPL, so they are allowed to use it, but only if they give credit, and make their modifications to the source available to everyone asking for it, but TX doesn't even acnolage that they use it to the public
    * SXOS contained brick code in the past, as a copyright measure, whcih is ironic for something used to circumwent copy protections and is breaking open source lincensed
    * SXOS does somtimes a really slopy job at their CFW, from things like forgetting to change paths from the atmospehre folder to their sx folder, to the way the made mariko units boot, by doing some really hacky things, and breaking some other things by doing so. Even their brick code wasn't bulled proof and could falsly activate, or activate without the recovery code being able to work. So some hombrew devs will just not support it, so that they won't need to create some workarounds just for bad SXOS code at some places (I think retroarch was one of these cases).
    * Also the only real advantage SXOS has left today, is XCI loading, which is only usefull fĂĽr people using usb loading, or maybe also people who want to test games without a ban risk before buying, for everybody else nps are probably not that big of an disadvantage.

I used both for quite some time, mostly because SXOS allowed me to use my self created cardrige dumps online, but since 9.x even this isn't possble, so the only really usefull usecase for nonpirates that atmospehre didn't had is gone now too.
    The only time I now boot into SX is, when I test some software, for compability, which is not that often.
    Also another reason I prefer to use Atmosphere over SXOS is the work put into ban safety, the atmosphere devs did quite a few things to prevent nintendo from noticing the modifications, and I started using this relativly early to also pretoct me a bit more in sxos. Also the compability with system modules is much better in Atmosphere.

ghjfdtg likes this.
  14. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    AMS doesn't include keys.
    also btw, as of SXOS 3.0, every mariko pkg1 is included in their boot.dat

ghjfdtg likes this.
  15. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You categorically cannot copyright a key, ignore anyone who says you can as they are just plain wrong.

Distributing key infringes EUCD/DMCA/whatever law your country enacted to meet it's WIPO obligations. Distributing something that derives the keys is just as illegal as the keys themselves, it doesn't even have to be keys. Anything that bypasses access control.

There is basically no way that SXOS can allow backups to be run and be legal, there is no point in them spending any time trying to bundle less code. They may as well rip off atmosphere and any other project.

Atmosphere + sigpatches is in a similar boat, there are several threads on gbatemp that would be closed if they were being consistent. It's mostly just sour grapes that people don't like SXOS.

I think a good lawyer would tear a hole in Sciresm a**e, but they will likely leave him alone as he doesn't make any money out of it. Failoverfl0w got sued for less.

Last edited by smf, Aug 3, 2020
    gizmomelb likes this.
  16. Coathanger08

Coathanger08 Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    It should be illegal to use SX anyways, you do know its the least advanced of them all right?

17. pofehof

pofehof GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't hate SX OS, but please don't spread lies. Homebrew (and thus, Atmosphere) isn't illegal.

18. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

All cfw is illegal soon as you run unsigned code on your Nintendo Switch then that device becomes illegal, it breaks Nintendo's terms & conditions!

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 3, 2020
  19. Coathanger08

Coathanger08 Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    That dude probably pays for torrents...

We don't like SXOS cause we don't like paying for illegal stuff...(unless its drugs)

Fred Molyneux likes this.
  20. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    great logic hypocrite

mikefor20 likes this.
  21. Coathanger08

Coathanger08 Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    You must be rocking the 70iq my friend.

Have a nice day.