Hacking Question Is SXOS really illegal?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just on a discord asking for some homebrew help a minute ago and I mentioned I was on sxos. Immediately I got botted saying that SXOS was illegal because "It bundles various keys and copyrighted data that cannot be legally shared". I didn't know if this was fully true because SXOS was closed source so I asked how that was discovered and I was told "being closed source is another reason it's bad and not good. Anyway I won't take this any farther because it's not allowed" even though I didn't find that rule in rules. I remember having a similar situation happened in a now dead discord when I got banned instantly by a certain homebrew developer. It always seemed odd to me.

TL;DR: is it really confirmed that SXOS distributes copyrighted keys? If so how was this discovered since the program is close-sourced?

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... If so how was this discovered since the program is close-sourced?
Hexkyz has been regularly putting out decrypting/unpacking scripts for SXOS releases that have helped to see what's happening under the hood.

That and (iirc) when they were picking it apart after initial release they found it included some of Nintendo's code for their XCI-loader.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hexkyz has been regularly putting out decrypting/unpacking scripts for SXOS releases that have helped to see what's happening under the hood.

That and (iirc) when they were picking it apart after initial release they found it included some of Nintendo's code for their XCI-loader.
Even if software is closed source, there are ways to look through it e.g. decompilation.
Finally answers! Tyvm

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is illegal but if you have CFW on your switch and have pirated games it is the same exact thing. If you have SXOS it is better ask for help on their website asking anywhere else people will try to make you feel bad because you paid for CFW.

Reactions: Deleted User

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd have much better luck looking for help in these forums. Yeah, there are some who disagree with SX/TX.. but you won't be shunned because of it.

Don't bet on it. People totally get chastised here for using SXOS. There is a legion of Software Justice Warrior chodes who think it's their duty to switch you through any means necessary. They lie and gang up on people and everything. Almost like government or religion. SXOS uses stolen ninty code and stolen atmosphere code so it's illegal AND the pirates have a reason to get butthurt. Take any "advice" around here regarding SXOS with a grain of salt.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Don't bet on it. People totally get chastised here for using SXOS. There is a legion of Software Justice Warrior chodes who think it's their duty to switch you through any means necessary. They lie and gang up on people and everything. Almost like government or religion. SXOS uses stolen ninty code and stolen atmosphere code so it's illegal AND the pirates have a reason to get butthurt. Take any "advice" around here regarding SXOS with a grain of salt.
Good for them. There are legitimately helpful people here on these forums.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good for them. There are legitimately helpful people here on these forums.

Sure there are. And there are liars too. Good for them for lying and skewing the facts and derailing the conversation on a regular basis? Not very helpful. How do I fix this issue with SXOS?? Get Atmosphere! not helpful either. I am telling you. IF there is a digital pitchfork and torch, you'll get chased around here if you say SXOS . Watch who you believe. I can give PLENTY of examples.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
....How is banning you for using an OS designed for piracy seen as toxic?

Also, OP, did you miss the pinned thread on this sub?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/no-more...mbers-inside-the-code-of-the-software.533912/
Ah, yes. You missed my point... By about a mile. A community hosted discord server that is adamantly against one CFW (which some people kinda HAVE to use?) isn't toxic to you? Banning someone for using said CFW, even if they're not asking about warez isn't toxic to you?

Its also hilarious you talk about piracy when you can play warez on any CFW out right now. Don't play favorites. It makes us all look bad.

Reactions: Ra1d and mikefor20

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people Encompass it as that Because basically asking for any help that involves it’s Usage technically violates a lot of servers information because they don’t want it shut down due to the fact that it’s core purpose is to run homebrew applications using key applications I personally think that if a server is against that one they should be against all of them

pofehof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, yes. You missed my point... By about a mile. A community hosted discord server that is adamantly against one CFW (which some people kinda HAVE to use?) isn't toxic to you?

Or, maybe you are salty that these community discords explicitly have a rule against piracy, and when someone talks about SX OS (or sigpatches), they are immediately outed? No matter what, people need to know what the rules, and what they are using, are.

Its also hilarious you talk about piracy when you can play warez on any CFW out right now. Don't play favorites. It makes us all look bad.

That is being pretty misleading since Atmosphere, out of the box, doesn't allow you to play piracy. You are required to download other programs to do such a thing.

Last edited by pofehof,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people Encompass it as that Because basically asking for any help that involves it’s Usage technically violates a lot of servers information because they don’t want it shut down due to the fact that it’s core purpose is to run homebrew applications using key applications I personally think that if a server is against that one they should be against all of them
Doesn't have to be that drastic. However, a user shouldn't be afraid to ask for help with homebrew regardless of their CFW. If they were asking for links to warez, or posting the SX files? That's a different story.

Reactions: Zonark

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1