Is something wrong with my PC?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right, ill start with the specs of my pc for all you peopl eout there in the know!!!

Athlon 64 3000 CPU (Socket 939)
MSI motherboard (not sure of model)
512 Ram (DDR400)
120GB Sata Maxtor Drive
Pioneer 111D DVD Writer
On Board crappy graphics
Soundblaster Audigy 7.1 Sound
Win XP Pro (SP2)

Now, i dont know if its just me, but for some reason im feeling that out of this pc that ive had for quite a while, im getting really lame performance. IE if i "aquire" say a 360 game, and it needs Quickparring to correct (i did this today for a game, which only needed a few bytes here and there repairing) is taking my PC around the 25 minute mark to do this.

Then using WinRAR to extract this said game which clocks in at about a 6gig rar file (split into multiple parts) about a further 25 minutes to extract. Am i being picky or is this par for the course. Im sure my old PC which was quite alot slower on paper than this one was alot quicker.

There isnt really any garbage on my hard drive, its quite tidy and such but im not sure what it could be. Anyone have any ideas? Is it time for an upgrade?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so if i doubled my ram then would it cure my problem? Because also, i find that when im extracting something, or reapiring a file, it more or less kills my pc dead until its finished

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reformat the drive and reinstall windows. if you want to go the hard way: defragment, get new firewall/antivirus, scan, check registry...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PAR2 files, I do not play this game but it seems most 360 files are fairly large splits. This is why it takes ages. and it applies (albeit to a lesser extent) to RAR files.

I agree with cenotaph although you may need to find a SATA card (maybe even stick a RAID card in there and make a RAID).
Also those old Athlons overclock really well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-