Homebrew Suggestion Is somebody working on savestates?

PT333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. For poeple who do not know, savestates will give you option to save game at any moment without relying on game's save system. I suppose this feature would be very useful for some games!

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That would prove to be a massive challenge. Not impossible but the likelihood of it happening won't be soon. Hell, cemu (Wii U emulator) doesn't even have save states yet. If it were that simple, it would've already been done.

Reactions: KlariNoX

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
That would prove to be a massive challenge. Not impossible but the likelihood of it happening won't be soon. Hell, cemu (Wii U emulator) doesn't even have save states yet. If it were that simple, it would've already been done.

In theory you would only need to copy the contents of RAM to a file, and then restore as needed. (Though as you said, not that simple, though the idea is nice!)

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not just about saving/restoring RAM but you have to save/restore the entire hardware state which is not doable unless it's an emulator. In the old days it was doable with more or less good results (more often than not you get glitchy results). Now hardware has evolved and is much more complex.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In theory you would only need to copy the contents of RAM to a file, and then restore as needed. (Though as you said, not that simple, though the idea is nice!)

Though as DiscostewSM said, it would probably take GBs worth to even save one. People may think they can deal with it, but soon, it will start getting annoying. Imagine you're playing a game like Dark Souls and you save state just before a boss. You don't want to go all the way back to the previous bonfire. By the time you reload that save state, you probably could make it back there before a save state loads. After all, it may have GBs worth of data to transfer into the RAM.

Reactions: stitchxd

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
It's not just about saving/restoring RAM but you have to save/restore the entire hardware state which is not doable unless it's an emulator. In the old days it was doable with more or less good results (more often than not you get glitchy results). Now hardware has evolved and is much more complex.

I can save state using RTS on the original Nintendo DS - I am sure there is something that can be done at some point. Though to be honest, I don't think it's worth it.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Difficult, definitely. I guess a sysmodule would be able to freeze the game using interrupts, and dumping game ram should be straightforward enough - tho as pointed out, slow af - but whether you'd be able to save and restore the rest of the system state accurately enough I don't know.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
I can save state using RTS on the original Nintendo DS - I am sure there is something that can be done at some point. Though to be honest, I don't think it's worth it.
DS RAM is only 4MB right? Switch has 4GB of RAM, so it's a huge difference

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If you try restoring only the game's process you will quickly find out this will not work. Just one reboot and the memory layout is different + all of the handles the game acquired are invalid. It's not doable in any reliable way.

Reactions: hippy dave
D

Deleted User

I guess that must be handled by Sysmod or CFW and I guess atmosphere is protecting this "malicious" code so we need reinx and Yea nobody using it so won't be able soon

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. For poeple who do not know, savestates will give you option to save game at any moment without relying on game's save system. I suppose this feature would be very useful for some games!
While technically possible saving/loading would be multiple minutes of waiting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or most surround sound receivers are 3 HDMI in, one HDMI out to tv, and you can select which hdmi in
    you want on the receiver.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Surround sound receiver is a good $300
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but so nice for gaming, movies.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi is old he needs Walmart PA system
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Splitter @ $39 it says. I'll consider it. Thanks
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Coupon makes it 30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Alright off to the store, later gators. +1