Gaming Is Puyo Puyo Tetris Western release only going to be dubbed in English?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 10,072
  • Replies 63
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I tried it and didn't mind the English voices whatsoever.

Guess I just don't mind dubbed content.
I don't mind dubbed content too but the quality of the English dub feels very lacking and low quality. It's like on the same level of Super Bomberman R.

Sareail

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha yeah an undub of a puzzle game seems incredibly unnecessary. I can understand the complaint for story driven games (though it's rarely if ever bothered me in any games I can really remember), but I mean I just can't imagine caring about the voice acting in a Tetris game.

I've played the Japanese game extensively and the voices are a lot of the charm. I can't really describe why it feels so important, but one game my friends and I accidentally bumped the sound effects off option before starting a game and it was so unfun and dull not hearing all the near characters throw out their myriad of lines as you play.

The bad English wouldn't be an issue for me since I have the Japanese version, but most of my friends don't know any Japanese and don't feel comfortable buying a fully Japanese game from the eshop, which is understandable. And we want to be able to play together online too so we're all getting the English release. It won't stop me from buying the game, but the uneven quality to the English voices in the demo were more than a little disappointing. And turning off sound effects isn't a good solution, it robs the fun of what makes this series more than just another Tetris game.

Furthermore, and most importantly, this was touched on in the thread but not fully or accurately.. it's not just about the English line delivery. Sega cheapest out on the voice acting and gave everyone only two voice lines during matches. While in the Japanese version, everyone has many lines and things they say, they cut it down to just one random line and a generic, samey "Tetris!" chant. Everyone says Tetris in different ways in the Japanese version with multiple words accompanying it, too. Like.. "LOVE TETRIS" or "TETRIS KANSAI" or "TETRIS DESU!" Each character is unique in that sense, while in English it's just "Tetris!".

Anyway, it just bothers me that they cheaped out and recorded about 1/4th the lines and homogenized many of the rest.

Here's hoping they do include dual audio. It's disappointing that there's no info regarding it anywhere.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are people starving all over the world and you people bitching about voice acting in a puzzle game? God dam...of all video gane related things to complain about, voice acting in a puzzle? WTF?! Are you people serious? It's a puzzle game! Why even care?...how is this even a issue? It's not mass effect, dragon age, kotor or a star wars movie!!!!

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
There are people starving all over the world and you people bitching about voice acting in a puzzle game? God dam...of all video gane related things to complain about, voice acting in a puzzle? WTF?! Are you people serious?
Old tired excuse.

It's a puzzle game! Why even care?
images

how is this even a issue? It's not mass effect, dragon age, kotor or a star wars movie!!!!
So as long as it's not one of the franchises you like it's perfectly okay to have a crappy English dub. Gotcha.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saiyan Lusitano

It's a none story based game. Played the demo, didn't fine any reason to care about the voice acting. It's money that actually could been use to add a few more game modes. The voices are a source of wasted money imo and are completely unneeded. Other than that, i couldn't careless about the VAs

Last edited by chartube12,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope it's dub only.
I love when weebs jerking off to the japanese language are forced to listen to a most likely fine if not usually great english dub.

The dub for puyo puyo tetris seems fine. Given what it is, it was obvious they weren't going to pull out a AAA allstar dub team for it.

Reactions: chartube12

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I hope it's dub only.
I love when weebs jerking off to the japanese language are forced to listen to a most likely fine if not usually great english dub.
You really care that people you don't know at all are bummed that they can't enjoy the dub they prefer? C'mon man. The dub is fine but there's no reason not to offer dual audio for those who prefer other dubs.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I hope it's dub only.

The dub for puyo puyo tetris seems fine. Given what it is, it was obvious they weren't going to pull out a AAA allstar dub team for it.
You don't really get it. The English dub was cheapened out to a low quality voice cast and then Sega called it a day, that's my issue with it being dub-only in this case and with this one dub in particular.

Yeah, I'm such a weeb. I'm such a weeb that I played BotW in Spanish and watch my anime series all in Spanish too.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope it's dub only.

Normally I'd agree, but if @Sareail is right and they only have like 2 different voice lines per character instead of 8 or so and they're mostly the same between characters, that's not what I'd call a "fine or great dub", that's just bad, especially considering just how often these voice lines are repeated.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Normally I'd agree, but if @Sareail is right and they only have like 2 different voice lines per character instead of 8 or so and they're mostly the same between characters, that's not what I'd call a "fine or great dub", that's just bad, especially considering just how often these voice lines are repeated.
Sega could have also offered more dubs in Spanish, French, German, Italian and Portuguese but you know, they're too cheap for that. They're even too cheap for a good English dub.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was talking to a streamer who has the english puyo puyo tetris (albeit on the ps4 but I doubt there'll be any differences between that and the switch version), and he said that dual audio isn't an option. If you buy the english version you're stuck with english voices only :/

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I was talking to a streamer who has the english puyo puyo tetris (albeit on the ps4 but I doubt there'll be any differences between that and the switch version), and he said that dual audio isn't an option. If you buy the english version you're stuck with english voices only :/
So it's like BotW's Western release except with only one dub and one that wasn't even professionally done. Sigh. Wish Funimation had done the English dub. :(

Sareail

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are people starving all over the world and you people bitching about voice acting in a puzzle game? God dam...of all video gane related things to complain about, voice acting in a puzzle? WTF?! Are you people serious? It's a puzzle game! Why even care?...how is this even a issue? It's not mass effect, dragon age, kotor or a star wars movie!!!!

By the logic of starving people, you can't talk about or do anything except help those people. You're wasting time on an Internet games forum and probably own some sort of Internet enabled device to do so even while people are starving.. for shame!

Yes, it's a problem in a game that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. My mother is in the hospital, I had lung surgery a few months ago which I'm still recovering from and a friend of mine died in a car accident six weeks ago. Life has a lot of deep, real issues. Everyone has struggles. That doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on something like a game just because more important things exist.

As for why I care about the voice work.. I don't see why it somehow shouldn't matter because it's a puzzle game. Tetris has existed for decades. If people just wanted to play Tetris, there are COUNTLESS other options, paid and free. What makes Puyo Puyo Tetris special is the quirky, zany characters and the silly, fun voice work as well as the story and adventure modes. My friends and I aren't big puzzle fans. But the colorful characters, fast paced multiplayer mashups and all the funny, cute lines and visuals make it a lighthearted and pleasant diversion for a group of friends. And while that's not all lost in the English version, it's disappointing. The biggest part being what I mentioned before, that they didn't just have subpar line delivery, they cut way back on the number of lines each character says and the variety of their lines. Most just have one unique line and then a recorded samey "Tetris!" line.

This. It's a huge disappointment and it gets old and stale fast, but I find it gets more dull with the SE turned off. That and I love the block sound effects too so turning it off makes it feel eerily silent.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I don't understand or agree with it, so therefore it's dumb".

Come on people, let someone have their fun without feeling the need to take a giant dump on it. If the person wants non-english voices, then they want non-english voices. I just hope the North American version includes them.

Last edited by osaka35,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
"I don't understand or agree with it, so therefore it's dumb".

Come on people, let someone have their fun without feeling the need to take a giant dump on it. If the person wants non-english voices, then they want non-english voices. I just hope the North American version includes them.
If the English dub was actually good I'd be perfectly okay with it but from all the voice overs on the demo it sounds atrociously mediocre at best. Sega cheapened out on making a good international dub that's one-for-all.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the English dub was actually good I'd be perfectly okay with it but from all the voice overs on the demo it sounds atrociously mediocre at best. Sega cheapened out on making a good international dub that's one-for-all.
Well, the voice actor strike is still happening, so that could be contributing...though it is SEGA, so I doubt it.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE