Hacking Is OTPless A9LH Safe?

• Thread starter Deleted-394630
  • Start date
  • Views 12,236
  • Replies 129

Did you brick while using the OTPless A9LH installation method?

• Yes

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 81 84.4%

• Total voters

Polarise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it 3 times already. Will do it the 4th time once I get my "unbanned" new 3ds xl. Just put the files in the proper place and you'll be fine.

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got 1 bricked. after more than 100 New 3ds xl sucess.

I'm not joking. i use otpless since beta unsafe version.

Last version i used was safe version 2.5 when i brick 1 console new 3ds xl red days ago.
1 brick after more then 100 sucess.

Now im using 2.6.6 version i hope to se another brick after 1000x tries.

I do this job here Brazil. this is my 3 third brick 2 another time was different

Last edited by Redirr,
Reactions: Redferne

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Then the guide can be considered unsafe. Why are we using a tool still heavily in development ?
That's completely incorrect. Everything on the guide is well tested before hitting the guide.
Thus far the bricks have been related to cheap or damaged SD cards, not the installer itself.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
That's completely incorrect. Everything on the guide is well tested before hitting the guide.
Thus far the bricks have been related to cheap or damaged SD cards, not the installer itself.
nice to know you personally investigated the issues, @Aurora Wright you can quit looking into the issue now this guy figured it all out for you, who would had thought it, we can just blame sd cards after all:gun:

though people do need to just accept that this shit ain't an exact science, shit can go wrong, if you don't like it don't get involved :teach:

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
nice to know you personally investigated the issues, @Aurora Wright you can quit looking into the issue now this guy figured it all out for you, who would had thought it, we can just blame sd cards after all:gun:

though people do need to just accept that this shit ain't an exact science, shit can go wrong, if you don't like it don't get involved :teach:
There's no need to be a dick, thus far the issues have been SD related. Which means it isn't the method that is completely at fault, there are other factors. That doesn't mean it's the same for all cases, just the vast majority of a few small cases.
Calling it unsafe because of a few bad cases is just asinine.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Traveling by plane causes a few deaths every now and then. But that doesn't mean taking a plane isn't safe.

Out of thousands, only a hand full have bricked. It's not perfect (yet!) But if you're not taking that .0065% something risk, then I suggest to follow plailect's guide for old 3ds'es.

I've used the OTPless to more than 10 friends already and it hadn't failed me (yet!), and I do hope it doesn't in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted-394630

OP
Thank you everyone for clarification I hope this will have also helped others debating using this method or not. I'll be doing OTPless myself. I didn't want an expensive paperweight, so I asked, and I got a ton of great responses. Thanks! :D

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Oh nos 4 bricks with otpless instantly dangerous oh nos.
Really guys. 4 bricks doesn't make something dangerous
I've fixed around 20 bricks or more due to this method, safe? Not really. with that being said , ive fixed about 20 bricks due to DSiWarehax as well. nothing is safe, lol.

...and just like that... the truth comes out!

F'real though, I wouldn't consider any method "safe"... as there's problems that could occur no matter what you do.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There's no need to be a dick, thus far the issues have been SD related. Which means it isn't the method that is completely at fault, there are other factors. That doesn't mean it's the same for all cases, just the vast majority of a few small cases.
Calling it unsafe because of a few bad cases is just asinine.
sorry but it just irks me when people arbirltrarily pick a cause to support their beliefs, I too have fixed a few of the otpless bricks and all of them were using legit, decent branded cards, formatted properly with proper copies of safea9lhinstaller and running the same installer a second time worked fine do the files weren't corrupted, how many did you confirm were using dodgy or fake SD cards for you to assert that they definitely the issue? because of all the people who have came forward I haven't seen any suggest they were using a crap SD card

see its fine to clarify the risks are minimal, but the same thing happened with the old gateway 2.0b2 bricks with most of gbatemp saying "urgh its crap SD cards" "the user is probably lying" or "it was probably a completely unrelated brick because your console is rubbish you big noob!" just because the bricks don't happen to everyone instantly doesn't mean they aren't real or that they are caused by the users specifically

there is no point painting the process as 100% safe because it's not and it never will be it's better for people to understand the risks so they take appropriate precaution's and make nand backups etc, as we seen the other day people start to skip them when they are led to believe it's 100% safe and that can backfire worse than a simple brick

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, OTPless still require you to go back to 9.2. N3DS just doesn't need to go to 2.1.
How could you misunderstood such a simple sentence?
The downgrade is required for anything except Homebrew, it has nothing to do with A9LH install , OPTless or not.
So yes OPTless install is safer than the downgrade to 9.2, it is safer than the 2.1 CTR transfer.

This not from my personal experience but from the people who actually made all the software.

Edit: Oh and safer doesn't mean 100% safe. Just in case someone is wondering. If you don't want to take absolutely no risk, don't even update or do anything that write on your SysNAND.

Last edited by Redferne,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How could you misunderstood such a simple sentence?
The downgrade is required for anything except Homebrew, it has nothing to do with A9LH install , OPTless or not.
So yes OPTless install is safer than the downgrade to 9.2, it is safer than the 2.1 CTR transfer.

This not from my personal experience but from the people who actually made all the software.
Then sorry about that. I understand that you means "OTPless doesn't need 9.2 downgrade".
I have a lot to learn in English since it's not my native laungage.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.